Eagles sign Saquon Barkley - $46.7M with $26M Guaranteed

Einstein

• Einstein changed the title to Eagles sign Saquon Barkley - $46.7M with $26M Guaranteed

How come last year no RBs got paid and now the same guys are getting crazy contracts?

I know this RB draft class is percieved to be weak but still...

Anyway, I am happy it's not us who pays RBs (and hope it stays that way).

• Thank you (+1) 1

Multi-year contract of ~13M/per to a 27 year old RB who average sub-4.0 YPC and has missed 21 games in last 4 seasons?

Ouch.  If that's winning UFA on Day 1 I don't want to know what losing looks like.  

NFC East keeps getting worse. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah, Howie Roseman knows what he is doing. 

In general, he's done a remarkably good job keeping his team in competition since he came back in 2016. 2016 they go to #2 overall and get a QB. In 2017 they win a SB and make the playoffs in 18 and 19 only to see their QB start to slide, but pick up a fallback in 2020. After a bad 2020, they spin off their QB for a 3rd in 2021 and what became a 1st in 2022. They change coaches and put in their 2nd round QB and make the playoffs in 21, get back to the Superbowl in 22 and still are a playoff team.

33 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

How come last year no RBs got paid and now the same guys are getting crazy contracts?

I mean, it's a bit surprising after the market being so dead in previous years. but man, I am happy it's not us putting down big money for it and that we have Cook on cost control for two more years.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Giants seem like they’re in complete rebuild mode.  Would you trade pick 28 for Dexter Lawrence? I would.  Dude is a difference maker.  

All offense or just mail it in. Diggs isn't young and they can't put it off anymore. 

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I think we are seeing a bit of market correction where RB's got a bit undervalued, plus we are seeing some of the upper tier RB's come available where they can be a difference maker on certain teams like a Philly, Titans, or Niners who lean heavy on the run.  

Its going to be one of those things that fluctuate depending on the teams looking for a RB and the ones available.  

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Rich get richer.

Barkley’s contract is for $37.75 million and includes $26 million fully guaranteed at signing. The deal is worth a maximum of $46.75 million.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/saquon-barkley-agrees-to-three-year-deal-with-eagles

Money poorly spent 

Here is what I don't understand for Philly...they didn't start struggling because the RB position was the issue.  Personally, the best RB on that roster was inactive every week in Penny.  I would have avoided paying Saquan all that money, kept Penny an let him start and drafted a RB to compete with Penny on the cheap.  Behind that OL Penny would eat big time, but he does have durability concerns, so that is why you draft one as well.  

They had way bigger issues than RB.  That is a lot of money on a position they didn't need to spend that much money on.  Or go sign someone like Devin or Moss to run behind that line at less than half what they paid Saquan and still draft a rookie if you want.  

All I know is that Saquan doesn't make them much better than last year even though he is a great back.

• Agree 2

This is the New York Giants CJ Spiller Buffalo Bills draft pick. The Bills use to do stupid stuff like that which is one of many reasons the Bills playoff drought was so long. The Giants set there franchise back 15 plus years choosing a dime a dozen RB Saquon Barkley over QB Josh Allen insanity if you are a New York Giants fan. As a Bills fan we were very fortunate Josh Allen fell to us and both the New York Giants and New York Jets passed on Josh Allen in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo