Plans at WR?

9 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Per a post it on Beane's desk, 

"Pick

#162"

Unless that was his order for Chinese food.

Well you can always ask if it doesn’t pan out… “What went Wong?”

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Calvin Ridley

Darnell Mooney

Marquise Brown

Curtis Samuel

DJ Chark

Van Jefferson

Donovon Peoples-Jones

Sign two of these players, and then draft two receivers.

That’s a good shout. 

Ridley and Mooney would be perfect, wonder if we can afford even one of those two. 

Jefferson or DPJ could be interesting. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

With Harty released and now Gabe signing with the Jags, what is the strategy/approach for WR? Are we going dumpster diving in Free Agency and then hoping we hit in the draft at WR?

Our current roster is Diggs, Shakir, Sherfield and Shorter (inactive all season). Currently not scaring anyone and probably in the bottom 10 as a WR group.

Anyone else uncomfortable? That’s a lot of pressure to hit on WR that is impactful in the draft! Do we trade up? 

Thoughts or perspective on Beane’s approach?

Look for the Bills to draft a WR in the first round and maybe another. I think they’ll likely sign an undervalued player while potentially bringing back a player like Trent Sherfield for ST/WR6

Plans? We don’t need no stinking plans

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

That’s a good shout. 

Ridley and Mooney would be perfect, wonder if we can afford even one of those two. 

Jefferson or DPJ could be interesting. 

Signing both Ridley & Mooney would be very difficult, but if they can get one of them, that would help a lot.

Then sign a player like Jefferson or Peoples-Jones. Receivers that are not superstars, but are reliable players. They also won't break the bank.

No more Harty or Sherfield type players. We need to get serious!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, skibum said:

Beane is not one to fill immediate needs with draft picks. They are probably going to bring in a veteran, but I don't think they can't afford a really good one. We shall see. 

Rousseau, Kaiir Elam, James Cook, Dalton Kincaid, and O'Cyrus Torrence all say otherwise.

All were drafted to fill big needs immediately. Beane even double dipped at DE and CB with Benford.

Only Elam and Boogie havent worked out.

This draft will HAVE to be about filling immediate needs because we have so many of them.

As to the OP, I see us going WR in the 1st/2nd and again in the 4th/5th. Two picks and a couple mid FAs and we're good to go. Not that many balls to go around anyways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, skibum said:

Beane is not one to fill immediate needs with draft picks. They are probably going to bring in a veteran, but I don't think they can't afford a really good one. We shall see. 

You have to do both though given the current roster and future. The top guys next season; Justin Jefferson, Chase, Aiyuk & Higgins are all going to fetch mega deals. 

That leaves either another trade for WR or the alternative older or lesser options on the market…

If he isn’t going to fill that position immediately with draft picks then what do you do? Trade for one obviously. 

I would think the Bills will likely bring in a lower level vet or two similar to Sherfield last year while also drafting a WR in round 1 and another in the mid rounds.

I do think it is possible the Bills work the mid range market at WR if it comes to them Mooney from Chicago could be an interesting addition on a two year mid range deal while also still adding a WR early in the draft 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Signing both Ridley & Mooney would be very difficult, but if they can get one of them, that would help a lot.

Then sign a player like Jefferson or Peoples-Jones. Receivers that are not superstars, but are reliable players. They also won't break the bank.

No more Harty or Sherfield type players. We need to get serious!

One of those two immediately helps everyone on offense. The talk will always come back to Davis to an extent but when we had John Brown and Gabe pairing the success on the dee ball we were blowing the brakes off teams and looked borderline unstoppable. Need to get that element back. 

Your point about reliable players is right on the money. I equate it similar to the NBA, you don’t win games by the superstar or starting 5 come the playoffs, you win by the depth of talent you have on the roster as a whole. At the WR position exclusively, there wasn’t much after Diggs even with Shakir. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Calvin Ridley

Darnell Mooney

Marquise Brown

Curtis Samuel

DJ Chark

Van Jefferson

Donovon Peoples-Jones

Sign two of these players, and then draft two receivers.

Two from the FA list! I like it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ridley will be too much $$$ I think. But he would be amazing on this team.

Mooney or Samuel would be OK too.

14 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Two from the FA list! I like it. 

Yep - me too! Then we could focus on D in the draft.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Higgins (draft cost + $$$ + competitor)

Ridley (likely too much $) 

Trade Options:

Courtland Sutton:  can be a 3.5 mil cap hit

Diontae Johnson:  I think cap is less than 10

Hollywood Brown

Darnell Mooney

Curtis Samuel

Noah Brown

Sutton + Samuel would be my targets

Sutton or Mooney work for me.