D.Henry to Free Agency & BUF News Makes Case to Sign Him

Running back Derrick Henry has led the NFL in rushing attempts four times and in yards and touchdown carries twice apiece since entering the league in 2016.

Put this in the department of, “It Probably Won’t Happen But It Would Sure Be Beneficial.” The Bills should pursue free agent running back Derrick Henry.

The Bills should prioritize finding a power running back to take some of the short-yardage/goal-line burden off quarterback Josh Allen, but can also be an everyday option to sub in for James Cook.

Henry, 30, will be a free agent next week for the first time since entering the NFL as a second-round pick with Tennessee in 2016. During that span, he leads the league in rushing attempts (2,065), yards (9,502) and touchdowns (90) and is third in yards per game (79.8) and sixth in yards per carry (4.7).

It is time for Henry to equal parts shift into another chapter and go for a championship. That desire plus the Bills’ need equals a good match for the Yulee Bulldozer, the nickname I helped give him as a high school senior in Yulee, Fla., in 2012.

People are also reading…

Henry led the NFL with 280 carries last year, but his 4.2-yard average was tied for the lowest of his eight-year career. But at a listed 6-foot-3 and 247 pounds, he remains difficult to bring down.

“You can’t let him get rolling because once he gets rolling, he’s a load,” then-Miami defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said before the Titans-Dolphins game last December. “That’s why he’s probably headed to the (Pro Football) Hall of Fame as a running back.”

Now for the tough part: The money. Henry has made nearly $57 million in his career and a team with cap space may splurge and offer him too much cash to turn down. But the market favors the Bills.

Thirteen free agent running backs played at least 41.7% of their teams’ offensive snaps last year, and only Henry is at least 30 years old. Dallas’ Tony Pollard, the New York Giants’ Saquon Barkley, Las Vegas’ Josh Jacobs, Houston’s Devin Singletary, Philadelphia’s D’Andre Swift and the Los Angeles Chargers’ Austin Ekeler lead the list with Henry.

A lot of backs is good for teams and bad for the backs. Could the Bills secure Henry for something in the range of $4 million that could turn into more based on incentives?

Henry would be an upgrade as the No. 2 to Cook – the Bills used Damien Harris, Latavius Murray and Ty Johnson last year in that role. Harris sustained a season-ending concussion in Week 4, and Murray and Johnson are free agents.

The Bills should consider Henry because it would take physical stress off Allen.

Goal-line: Allen had 18 rushing touchdowns in 19 games last year; nine measured 3 or fewer yards and 12 measured 1-9 yards. Among Henry’s 12 touchdowns last year, five were from 1-2 yards out and apiece from 3 and 5 yards.

Short-yardage: Allen was 18 of 20 last year on third-and-1 and Henry was 4 of 4. In his new role, Henry would become a new option on third-and-short instead of Allen risking injury with the tush push.

In the Titans’ season-ending win over Jacksonville, Henry not only waved to the crowd before leaving the field, he took the microphone to deliver a closing address. That is a player who knows he is moving on. His move should be to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

He has far too much child support to take any kind of deal we'd be able to offer.

Edited by Warcodered
I may have been thinking of a different former Titans running back with the last name Henry.
  • Haha (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It makes sense - if you completely ignore a large number of other factors.

The very first line of the article states "Put this in the department of 'It probably won't happen, but it sure would be beneficial'"

"It probably won't happen" is being extremely generous IMO. And I find it hilarious that you feel like this purely hypothetical article, that even the author starts by saying it's unlikely, is such a big deal it necessitated it's own thread rather than just putting it in the Derrick Henry thread you're the most frequent poster in.

If you want a Henry type Runner, Braelon Allen in the mid Rounds is what we should be looking at.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

I don't see the point, personally. He's the kind of back that needs volume to be at his best. He isn't going to get that in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In general, when you have A talent available in spades at a lower price, you should take it. 

A world class RB and world class Safety would put us over the top. 

We max out at the divisional because we have B players like Cook. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If the Bills can get Henry for $4M plus incentives, I do that all day.  Guy would be a huge step up from the backup RBs we had last season, probably could be a 50/50 split with Cook when both are healthy.  Then draft someone in the late rounds too, to add more youth to the room.

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

He just bought a house in Dallas I think

Hadn't heard that. Clubhouse leader's been Baltimore. But Dallas makes a lot of sense as a landing spot as well.

26 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If the Bills can get Henry for $4M plus incentives, I do that all day.  Guy would be a huge step up from the backup RBs we had last season, probably could be a 50/50 split with Cook when both are healthy.  Then draft someone in the late rounds too, to add more youth to the room.

Derrick Henry is not going to have to settle for 4m plus incentives and a change of pace role.

There's a large number of teams that need a Starting RB and have money. He was still the #2 Rusher in the NFL in Yardage last season. And a Superstar that sells tickets and jerseys.

The idea that he's not going to have a market and wants to be a Change of Pace RB, willing to accept an incentive laden deal is foolish. He'll get better money and a better role elsewhere. And from other Playoff teams too.

I can’t believe more people aren’t excited about James Cook. He doubled his rushing AND receiving output from the year before. He’s not much of a touchdown hawk, but with Josh Allen in the red zone has he really even had the chance? I am hoping he can continue to improve as a receiver and become a more complete back. Personally, I am excited to see what he does in his 3rd year. Henry is a HOFer, no question and I wouldn’t be unhappy to have him. I just think too many cooks spoils the kitchen and we already have our Cook. So let him cook…okay I’m done 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Allen and Henry in the same backfield would be really fun to watch from a fan perspective. 

Not saying it should happen or anything about RB value or money or nothing like that. Just that it would be a lot of fun to see.

Bills had the best regular season offense outside the red zone under both Dorsey and Brady..   If Derek Henry had more close to peak season left, the Bills could have the best red zone offene  during the regular season.  In all honesty, I would expect a bigger impact from Henry, that I expected from the injured Tre White, or Micah Hyde or Von Miller or Jordan Poyer going into 2023.  Any would supported relying on those players for 2023, and think Henry is washed heading into 2024 has it backwards in my opinion. 

Not only are you 100% correct it would be fun, it would also potentially greatly improve the team. 

I’m not so sure that Henry will settle for $4M contract or downgrading himself to a reserve role.  In his mind, he’s still going to want carries.  Not only won’t he get that in the Bills offense, he’s also going to need to share carries with James Cook.  I just don’t see it happening, though I wouldn’t hate it if he came on board 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No disrespect to Henry.. he’s a future Hall of Famer.

But there are sooo many areas with more need and limited cap space for the team.. and Henry may get 7-8 million or more per year (just a guess). Regardless, cap space that can go to a top #2 WR, one or two good defensive linemen, or multiple options in the secondary should be highly preferable here. 

Get a bigger goal line RB with one of those extra late round picks.. So many options for much cheaper RBs, who can still help significantly.. 

• Like (+1) 1