Morse Released

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

This team was always going to look a lot different in 2024.

That's true in a lot of ways.  They signed Miller to be an impact player in 22 and 23 and hoped for the best after that.  The writing was on the wall for Poyer and Hyde, although the timing was still unclear.  Diggs would be in his prime, and they'd have Davis on a cheap contract.  And remember, Edmunds was the start of the parade out the door.  

2024 was always going to be like this.  But as others have said, it just doesn't look to be too bad.   The offense needs two players - a center or guard and a receiver.   The defense needs a safety and probably a corner, although Douglas, Benford, Elam is a very nice fallback plan  There are some things that would be nice, but that aren't essential.   That's five players, with a tight but manageable cap budget and a boatload of picks.  

Beane will get Brady a receiver, and rest will be up to him.  McDermott will get the defensive backfield together, and the Bills will be a contender.   

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

One thing that I found odd about all of this was the report that McGovern was moving to center. Why release that information? It just was odd to me? I mean the Bills have suspended reporters for releasing lineup information at training camp. This one is odd.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

One thing that I found odd about all of this was the report that McGovern was moving to center. Why release that information? It just was odd to me? I mean the Bills have suspended reporters for releasing lineup information at training camp. This one is odd.

That's a good point.  Probably someone made a mistake.  

Or here's a theory.  They don't know who's playing guard or center.  McGovern is a possibility.  Getting the word out lets everyone know the Bills are in the market for either.   If they didn't say it, people would assume the Bills have high need at center and none at guard.  THis gives them options.  Just a guess. 

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's a good point.  Probably someone made a mistake.  

Or here's a theory.  They don't know who's playing guard or center.  McGovern is a possibility.  Getting the word out lets everyone know the Bills are in the market for either.   If they didn't say it, people would assume the Bills have high need at center and none at guard.  THis gives them options.  Just a guess. 

There was a little walking back from what I heard on the radio today but they were pretty clear yesterday a source told them McGovern is moving to center.

I just wonder if Aaron Kromer is the source.  Kromer has leaked stuff to reporters before back in Chicago.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There was a little walking back from what I heard on the radio today but they were pretty clear yesterday a source told them McGovern is moving to center.

I just wonder if Aaron Kromer is the source.  Kromer has leaked stuff to reporters before back in Chicago.

That's an interesting theory.  Not that I know him, but my sense of him is a real matter-of-fact guy who is pretty casual about things like that.  

If I recall it correctly, there's some miscommunication and recommunication about Dorian Williams and middle linebacker.  

I suspect McDermott's view is that every position is open for any solution and they aren't going to presuppose anything.  And McDermott would rather that his coaches haven't formed an opinion yet.  McDermott's challenge to the coaches is create competition and see who's good, and don't presuppose anything. 

I don't think it's that complicated. McGovern is moving to center unless another option presents itself. Since no such option exists at present.. that is the plan.

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2024 at 4:28 PM, Lagoon Blues said:

Gonna miss Mitch....always gave the impression of a good dude.  Wonder how josh feels about this one.

I think guys understand completely that it’s a business.  Not only that but it’s a business with centers making $10mil + a year AND a salary cap.  Another way to say the same thing is:  Morse is not (necessarily) being cut because the team doesn’t want to keep him, but essentially they can’t… or let’s just say they can’t keep everyone.

I don’t think Josh or anyone else is that naïve.

On 3/6/2024 at 4:36 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Could see them using one of their 6th Round picks on a Punter 

was thinking the exact same thing yesterday…

maybe even go and get a great one in the 5th.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2024 at 4:28 PM, Lagoon Blues said:

Gonna miss Mitch....always gave the impression of a good dude.  Wonder how josh feels about this one.

Behind the scenes, is there more to this release than money?  I know he's had concussion issues.  I agree, the QB-Center relationship is big and I can't imagine they would release Morse if there was any way to restructure or make it work for both side.  

But what would I know...maybe his play really fell off and I didn't notice.

16 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is a really thought provoking question. In the whirlwind of that day, it flew right by me.

1 hour ago, schoolhouserock said:

This is a really thought provoking question. In the whirlwind of that day, it flew right by me.

1. Belichick is gone.  The league is now operating on 'total disclosure'.

2. Bills playing 4-D chess.  One week before the season, the Bills release McGovern, and move Elam to C.

🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Perhaps a half hearted attempt to pretend they're not in the draft market for a center.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Might find a job quick.

He should. He's still playing at a quality level and a quality and experienced center isn't an easy find. 

My only question was if he would even want to keep playing having to start all over somewhere at his age. Guess he does.