Ryan Bates traded

IBTG81

30 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We’re in the process of a trade up to 9.  Please say this deal isn’t done.  

Unlikely. And if we were going to do that, it wouldn't be until Draft Day when we know whomever we would want is on the board.

That said, we didn't even bother interviewing Malik Nabers or Rome Odunze at the Combine. So I don't think we're interested in giving up a King's Ransom for one of them vs. what it would cost to move up a few slots or even nothing at all for one of the next group of guys.

• Agree 4

10 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You act like Bates is the ONLY capable backup 🤣

Well, we don't really know who's capable, we had no injuries.  

Of our backups, can you say with any confidence that any could start all season to at least average play? 

Before this post season our OL's been less than great. 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Where are you hearing that?

He's just hoping. If he's heard it - it's not from anyone legitimate.

What sense would it make for us to pay the insane cost to move up to 9 now when we don't even know if the player or players we'd be interested would even be on the board then? 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's just hoping. If he's heard it - it's not from anyone legitimate.

What sense would it make for us to pay the insane cost to move up to 9 now when we don't even know if the player or players we'd be interested would even be on the board then? 

It makes no sense. The team that has the #9 pick is the Bears. If we were trying to get to #9 why would we give the Bears a guard for a 5th and not try and use him as part of a bigger package to get to #9?

If getting to #9 was the aim you offer something like #28, #99, 2025 1st Round Pick and Ryan Bates. You don't trade him for a 5th then offer them a package that includes their own 5th back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Again, another "Nothing to see here" post.  Some of us are not amazed by Beanes Wizardry, or ignore the bad things with the Bills. Araiza to Chiefs, no big deal, Hines cut, no big deal, Bates traded, no big deal. Here's the thing....they all do matter no matter how much you want fo ignore it

So what would you have done?  He's not perfect, but so too is it that nobody is perfect.  And, sometimes these mid-roster moves don't work out.  If you're blaming Beane for swinging big on Miller and missing, which in turn has prompted some of these issues, that's fine.  He took a swing and missed.  I don't mind, but I understand the complaint.  

The response to your beefs about Bates and Hines, for example, is that maybe Beane found guys who took their spots.  Hines was brought here to provide speed.  Turns out that, after he fell off his ski-doo, Cook turned into a star and basically engulfed his role on offense.  And, maybe it is that Anderson showed a lot of promise in camp and took Bates's spot.  Bates certainly didn't take Morse's spot, or Torrence's spot, and sometimes this roster evolution happens.  

Edited by SectionC3

On 3/4/2024 at 9:59 PM, Success said:

So....who do we have now for depth at center?

Clearly, a first world problem. .... I'm guessing there are already three options on the roster. And probably a draft pick coming.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

And, maybe it is that Anderson showed a lot of promise in camp and took Bates's spot.  Bates certainly didn't take Morse's spot, or Torrence's spot, and sometimes this roster evolution happens.  

They definitely like Anderson. It was very telling to me that after a strong pre-season last year at no point did the Bills dare expose him to waivers. They put him on the 53. Then even when they had obvious needs - at linebacker and punter for example - caused by injuries later in the year and they were trying to bolster those positions with street FAs they never cut Anderson even though he was the unused 9th OL all year. They were not willing to risk losing him. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They definitely like Anderson. It was very telling to me that after a strong pre-season last year at no point did the Bills dare expose him to waivers. They put him on the 53. Then even when they had obvious needs - at linebacker and punter for example - caused by injuries later in the year and they were trying to bolster those positions with street FAs they never cut Anderson even though he was the unused 9th OL all year. They were not willing to risk losing him. 

Agreed. My take is that they think Anderson will be better than Bates next year, and best case scenario ready to start the year after. Having said that, I still hope they draft a guy who can play C this year - maybe 5th round or so. 

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well, we don't really know who's capable, we had no injuries.  

Of our backups, can you say with any confidence that any could start all season to at least average play? 

Before this post season our OL's been less than great. 

The oline was the best since Allen got here so I'm not sure what you are talking about 

Personally I think they should still cut Morse and roll with Anderson and a mid round draft pick. But if they decide to keep him that's cool too. O line was a strength last season and the best Allen has ever had, I'm not going to be mad if they decide to run it back with that unit, which I think they'll do. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Here is Morse’s replacement come 2025 with the pick they got for Bates …His name is Tanor Bortolini …

I kinda hope not, dude has short arms and can't bench, could see him get owned by long-armed DTs blowing up pass plays instantly. Doesn't matter what your 40 time is at center if you lose leverage right away

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Well, since that sounds like a very ambiguous source, what does your gut tell you about a trade like that?

Probably take 2 trades I’m not sure worth it because I don’t think I can trade next year’s first which would probably need to be included.   Picks 60 and 100 also but I’m confident I can trade back into the 3rd or 2nd round.  

Tell me if I’m off on costs - parameters:

To go up to 16-18

28, 100, a 5th and say a 3rd in 2025?

To go from 16-18 to 9:

16-18, and next year’s first.  

Only dangling that if it’s one the top 3 WRs Harrison Odunze or Nabers.  Maybe Thomas.  Not sure the drop off tho from WR3 to WR7.  

Trading up in Round 1 isn’t off the table with Beane but I do believe he will not part with 2025 first to do it.   

I also think it’s a bad idea to hope our 6th and 7th rounders will make the team - I’m trading them to move up as much as possible.  I’m questioning how deep this draft is bc of the NIL money. 

4 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

The oline was the best since Allen got here so I'm not sure what you are talking about 

Yes, but context.

The odds of not having any injuries on the OL is slim.

On 3/5/2024 at 4:48 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Morse is also a core leader of this team. Well thought of and well liked in addition to his play being perhaps the best it's been during his time here. You don't just cut guys like that.

One-Does-Not-Simply.jpg

On 3/6/2024 at 9:07 AM, Big Blitz said:

Probably take 2 trades I’m not sure worth it because I don’t think I can trade next year’s first which would probably need to be included.   Picks 60 and 100 also but I’m confident I can trade back into the 3rd or 2nd round.  

Tell me if I’m off on costs - parameters:

To go up to 16-18

28, 100, a 5th and say a 3rd in 2025?

To go from 16-18 to 9:

16-18, and next year’s first.  

Only dangling that if it’s one the top 3 WRs Harrison Odunze or Nabers.  Maybe Thomas.  Not sure the drop off tho from WR3 to WR7.  

Trading up in Round 1 isn’t off the table with Beane but I do believe he will not part with 2025 first to do it.   

I also think it’s a bad idea to hope our 6th and 7th rounders will make the team - I’m trading them to move up as much as possible.  I’m questioning how deep this draft is bc of the NIL money. 

We seem to do really well with those pics in the later rounds