What exactly is Khalil Shakir?

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I feel it needs to be...

1. Diggs 

1a. 1st round draft pick

2. Kincaid

3. Shakir

This team needs a 1st round WR to come in and claim #2/ 1a this year and push for being the #1 WR on this team

I completely agree, and know they need to draft Diggs eventual replacement now and get him up to speed, I just see McDermott bringing a rookie along slowly, especially with Kincaid getting an even bigger role, which I expect.

• Agree 2

If Shakir primarily plays on the boundary with some slot I think he’ll be ok.   If he plays primarily the a lot with some boundary duties I believe he will have a really good year.

He has surprising speed, showed that he has burst.

He is a good and willing blocker

He is good with contested catches

He has shown really good/clutch hands, specially when it mattered.

He is well above average RAC

His biggest weakness is that he doesn’t separate great when matched up man coverage.  His route running is ok.

I think overall he’s a good player.

• Agree 1

He'll be the slot with Diggs and a rookie WR starting outside.  Harty will be gone and save $4.3M on the cap.  They'll add a few cheap WRs in FA.

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 1

Most people aren't going to like this post and this is not what I want to happen this offseason.

However, this is a plausible scenario for the budget-conscious Bills.

1.  Diggs remains in his current position

2. Shakir moves to Davis' former job. (Shakir is about the same size as Diggs. Shakir is 6'0 190; Diggs is 6'0 191). They also have similar speed.  Shakir ran 4.43 at the combine in 2022.  Diggs ran 4.46 in 2015.  Also, both were 5th-round picks and had similar prospect grades of 6.18 for Shakir and 6.10 for  Diggs.  https://www.nfl.com/prospects/khalil-shakir/32005348-4110-7427-f34a-bb0aa1d8e556  and https://www.nfl.com/prospects/stefon-diggs/32004449-4721-8895-fc23-d2bf4c921bd4

3. Harty returns at a reduced rate (2 mill?) to be the slot receiver and kick returner.

4. Shorter (who is 6'4") takes over Sherfield's role and maybe eventually pushes for Davis' former job.

5. Brady expands Knox and Kincaids' roles to the point that a 5th WR isn't needed as Kincaid essentially becomes the "big" receiver and Knox goes back to his primary role as a blocker and safety valve for Allen.  

6.  The Bills draft someone like Luke McCaffery or Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint later in the draft for depth and development, while utilizing the premium draft picks to build depth on the D line and safety.

7. They also sign a cheap veteran like Chris Moore as additional depth.

Much of this scenario depends on how Brady, Beane, and McD feel about Shorter and Harty.  Does Brady think he can get more out of Harty?  How do they feel about Shorter's development?

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Most people aren't going to like this post and this is not what I want to happen this offseason.

However, this is a plausible scenario for the budget-conscious Bills.

1.  Diggs remains in his current position

2. Shakir moves to Davis' former job.

3. Harty returns at a reduced rate (2 mill?) to be the slot receiver and kick returner.

4. Shorter (who is 6'4") takes over Sherfield's role and maybe eventually pushes for Davis' former job.

5. Brady expands Knox and Kincaids' roles to the point that a 5th WR isn't needed as Kincaid essentially becomes the "big" receiver and Knox goes back to his primary role as a blocker and safety valve for Allen.  

6.  The Bills draft someone like Luke McCaffery or Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint later in the draft for depth and development, while utilizing hte premium draft picks to build depth on the D line and safety.

7. They also sign a cheap veteran like Chris Moore as additional depth.

Much of this scenario depends on how Brady, Beane, and McD feel about Shorter and Harty.  Does Brady think he can get more out of Harty?  How do they feel about Shorter's development?

I think it will happen like I said. 

Shakir very well will be 2nd or 3rd in target share.  I think what Buffalo lacks is someone who can threaten a defense vertically.  This draft seems to have a few.  I think they can find a solid wr later on but probably wont have that ability.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it will happen like I said. 

How WR plays out might be dependent on how well Beane does fixing his D Line, Edge rushers, and safeties in free agency.  The better he does there the less likely he'll use his 3 premium draft picks on defensive players and the more likely he drafts a WR early.   Don't forget in Beane's tenure in Buffalo he has never drafted a WR in the first 3 rounds and has only drafted one safety (Hamlin).  However, he has used 5 premium picks (rounds 1-3) on D Lineman including Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham, H Phillips, and Oliver. 

The drafting of a WR may also be dependent on how the draft plays out.  What happens if all the WRs the Bills have a 1st-rd grade on are gone by 28?  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

How WR plays out might be dependent on how well Beane does fixing his D Line, Edge rushers, and safeties in free agency.  The better he does there the less likely he'll use his 3 premium draft picks on defensive players and the more likely he drafts a WR early.   Don't forget in Beane's tenure in Buffalo he has never drafted a WR in the first 3 rounds and has only drafted one safety (Hamlin).  However, he has used 5 premium picks (rounds 1-3) on D Lineman including Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham, H Phillips, and Oliver. 

The drafting of a WR may also be dependent on how the draft plays out.  What happens if all the WRs the Bills have a 1st-rd grade on are gone by 28?  

I think getting a future #1 WR is a top priority.  Whether that's on Day 1 or 2 I don't know.  But he's got pretty much the entire draft to take defense as much of the offense is set (except where otherwise noted, and maybe a future center).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Beasley was the #2 target getter because he was always our second best available target. 

I like Shakir a lot, but I don’t want him being our second best target on the roster. If he is, Kincaid and the future boundary WR we draft didn’t really work out. 

I really don't care about who does what. I just want someone to be open and get separation to move tje chains. If that's Shakir, zip-ee-dee-do-dah.

I feel like Shakir might be critically undervalued by a lot of Bills fans. He only had 45 targets in 2023 but he was extremely efficient whenever we threw him the ball. If he was getting 159 targets like Puka Nacua (who has a bit more size, but plays a similar game and has similar advanced stats) we'd all be talking about how great he is. That being said, we should still draft an X receiver in the 1st :)

Edited by BillsClinton
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

With all the discussion on needs at WR I get the feeling the "need" is not quite what many think it is.  I think they should expend a premium draft asset (first or second round) this year to try to find the next #1 guy.  In addition to that, some kind of vet who can step in if needed and certainly open to another draft pick on day 3 where the Bills have found both Davis and Shakir.  The Bills have Diggs as a #1, there is some chatter if he is still that, I think he is.  I think his skill set is something that can work for an older receiver.   That big question is the drop off in production once Brady took over, can that be changed?  I would like to think so.  But I think with Shakir coming on along with Kincaid, if they add one more premium asset they are in pretty good shape as far as weapons go.

But the point of this thread is Khalil Shakir.   He really came on the final 10 games last year where he was nearly at a 1000 yard pace.  Is he a potential Beasley type security blanket for Josh with upside in RAC?   Beasley was a master of finding a hole and letting Josh hit him, I think Shakir can do that but he can actually do much more.  Or maybe they are completely different.  Shakir can play outside too, I like him as a prospect moving forward.    Do you guys see him as a slot receiver with Diggs and future #2 and Kincaid where they go back to more 11?    

An Aquarius I believe.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I think getting a future #1 WR is a top priority.  Whether that's on Day 1 or 2 I don't know.  But he's got pretty much the entire draft to take defense as much of the offense is set (except where otherwise noted, and maybe a future center).

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just realize that Beane never quite does things the way people think he will right or wrong.  

My hope is that a couple of receivers fall, enabling Beane to trade down into the very early second round and replace the 3rd round pick he used to acquire Douglas. Now with 4 top 100 picks he'll be able to add a good WR, and well-regarded players at S, DT, and Edge.  

I'm also hopeful another scenario plays out where Van Pran (to become our future No. 1 C) falls into the 90's and the Bills grab him, trade Bates for a late 3rd or early 4th and then use that pick on a safety.  So something like this.

Pick 28 -traded to Ari for 35 and 90. (or to Car for 33 & 102 +)

Pick 35 - Draft a WR - hopefully Mitchell is available, but Worthy, Legette, Polk or McConkey will all work

Pick 60- DL like Jenkins Fiske, Hall or Orhorhoro or Edge like Kneeland, Elliss or Isaac 

Pick 90 - Van Pran - C

Pick 99 - Edge, DL or Safety

Pick 129 - Edge, DL, Safety or a 2nd WR

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Agree, I think he will also have a plan for how to attack what in FA and the draft but that can change depending on what dominos fall and how things get filled in.  In general I would think trying to find a premium WR in the draft would be ideal because of the cost advantage at that expensive position.

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Shakir would make a great slot receiver. We just need someone with Gabe Davis’ size who is willing to get jump balls. 

Agree - always thought he would permanently fill Beasly's role.

Would like to see him have a defined role in the slot. There are several go get it receivers in this draft that we can take it 28.

I’m a troy Franklin guy but let’s say for instance that the bills took Keon Coleman at 28 think he wouldn’t have a defined role on the team??