Takeaways from Beane's Combine pressers

GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

You don’t give up that draft capital for a rental.

They didn't give up much. They gave up a 3rd (turned out to be pick 91) for Douglas and a 5 (ended up as pick 159). That's not nothing, sure...but in the grand scheme of things that's not a whole lot.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

If we let go of Douglas this staff is outright ridiculous. He was our best defender down the stretch last year. And it wasn’t even close. 

This. Assuming they release and not trade him I would mostly be bummed that we would have another top 100-ish draft pick that doesn't get utilized on a cash strapped team that needs to get cheaper. 

We could really use that 3rd this year.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

This. Assuming they release and not trade him I would mostly be bummed that we would have another top 100-ish draft pick that doesn't get utilized on a cash strapped team that needs to get cheaper. 

We could really use that 3rd this year.

I'd hope they could shop him for another 5th?  He's still a good player on a reasonable one year contract.  That seems like it would be valuable to someone, no?  

Getting two mid-round picks plus a half year rental for a 3rd would make it a lot more palatable. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They didn't give up much. They gave up a 3rd (turned out to be pick 91) for Douglas and a 5 (ended up as pick 159). That's not nothing, sure...but in the grand scheme of things that's not a whole lot.

It's a bit hefty for a 9-game rental (if that's what it turns out to be).

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Cash said:

Oh yeah.  AKA J.D. Williams.  He's the guy who changed his number in the hopes that officials would forget who he was, because he thought he was typecast as a guy who commits a lot of penalties.  (It didn't work.)  He either went from 29 to 31 or vice versa, I think.

Right, J.D. Blazingly fast, with long arms but just couldn't track the ball or stick with his man. Strange, and a real bummer, because a shut-down corner across from Nate Odomes was just what that team needed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, juno999 said:

Not to mention we wasted a 3rd rd pick for basically a rental

a low third rounder but with knowledge will be getting another 3rd rounder in UFA compensation and the 5th rounder from Green Bay. The way I see it is we traded down in the 3rd round from pick 91 to pick 166* (not sure what pick is due to compensation picks not awareded) and got Douglas. Assuming Douglas plays the 2 years of his contract (or more) it's more than a fair trade. 

10 minutes ago, QCity said:

It's a bit hefty for a 9-game rental (if that's what it turns out to be).

We essentially gave up the comp pick that we would have had extra from Edmunds for Douglas. Long term, yes that's a loss. Over the short term and what the team needed for last year it was an acceptable gamble IMO. Going into this season, we really could use that almost $10M in cap space. 

I like Douglas, think he could have a great year this season but am OK moving on.

8 minutes ago, finn said:

Right, J.D. Blazingly fast, with long arms but just couldn't track the ball or stick with his man. Strange, and a real bummer, because a shut-down corner across from Nate Odomes was just what that team needed. 

Gotta wonder what would have happened had we kept Roland Mitchell. As Yes, we got Leonard Smith in the trade but Mitchell had a longer career. 

I hate losing Douglas, but 10 mil is a lot of savings when you have the DB's we do.  There's going to be some tough losses this offseason, and this appears to be one of them.

That's 25% of our cap fix with one player.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Generally I agree that Douglas was very good for us last year and I have been a proponent of extending him for cap relief this year. That being said I won't be upset with any 30+ year old player Beane decides to move on from this offseason. We have to force young players onto the field one way or another. We've pushed the youth rebuild off for far too long.

i like ras a gul, and i hope we keep him, but the monster in the room is he's wrong side of 30 and just got hurt.

i think they off him an extension w some savings, and he takes it or walks.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Fair point but still too steep for a rental.

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Fair point but still too steep for a rental.

I don’t love it, but not bringing him in would feel a bit like throwing in the towel on the season after all the injuries last year. Sometimes you do what you have to do. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Generally I agree that Douglas was very good for us last year and I have been a proponent of extending him for cap relief this year. That being said I won't be upset with any 30+ year old player Beane decides to move on from this offseason. We have to force young players onto the field one way or another. We've pushed the youth rebuild off for far too long.

I agree the Bills have to figure out a way to get out from under some big contracts without adding more.  Age matters in the NFL. Douglas was good but not worth breaking the bank over.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I don’t love it, but not bringing him in would feel a bit like throwing in the towel on the season after all the injuries last year. Sometimes you do what you have to do. 

Exactly. Having Douglas was a key in even making the playoffs IMO. The move gave us a chance. Hate having to pay the price now with the pick, but that's the cost of business sometimes. 

Fair to point out as well that at the time of the trade Green Bay was playing terrible and it looked like that 5th would have been a much higher pick than it ended up being. Darn Jordan Love not getting that turkey leg on Thanksgiving and going nuclear the rest of the year burned us as well.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Aren’t Achilles injury a worse prognosis than ACL?

I don’t recall where, but I do recall reading that that at some point.

I would think an Achilles injury is something that reduces performance post healing, but as you may have guessed, I’m no doctor…, 

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

a low third rounder but with knowledge will be getting another 3rd rounder in UFA compensation and the 5th rounder from Green Bay. The way I see it is we traded down in the 3rd round from pick 91 to pick 166* (not sure what pick is due to compensation picks not awareded) and got Douglas. Assuming Douglas plays the 2 years of his contract (or more) it's more than a fair trade. 

True if he plays this year for the Bills, it's a fair trade.  Speculation based on Beane talking about Douglas in past tense, are the Bills getting ready to release Douglas?  If he gets released, I don't think it was good trade for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, juno999 said:

True if he plays this year for the Bills, it's a fair trade.  Speculation based on Beane talking about Douglas in past tense, are the Bills getting ready to release Douglas?  If he gets released, I don't think it was good trade for the Bills.

the way he played here…that sends the wrong message to the team.  Don’t do it!

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Aren’t Achilles injury a worse prognosis than ACL?

I don’t recall where, but I do recall reading that that at some point.

I agree. It seems to me that Tre unfortunately is finished as a Bill. I can’t think of a starting CB that returned successfully from an Achilles injury. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

the way he played here…that sends the wrong message to the team.  Don’t do it!

Agree.  I want Douglas back too.  However we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.  He may want more money than the Bills are willing to pay.

Douglas isn’t being released.  If he isn’t going to return, he is going to be traded.  He is under contract for next year and we should get at least the 3rd we traded for him back.  

That said, I think he’ll be back.  You don’t trade for a guy with term, who then played very well for you, then just dump him on the side of the road.  

Odds favor an extension, but maybe both sides are having trouble getting to a meeting of the minds on $ and term.  

People are reading to much into Beane usage of past tense.  He was describing how Douglas played last season.  He was also describing meeting him last year.  Both of those events are in the past. Should have said he was looking forward to having him next season? Maybe, but since when does Beane care about the niceties? 

This could drag on for a while. Beane doesn’t have do anything with Douglas.  Rasul is under contract.  There is no cap cost to release or trade him.  With the higher cap Beane may not have the urgency to extend Douglas as we all originally thought.  Beane may now have the luxury of waiting to see how White recovers and/or how Elam progresses in the off-season workouts.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.