Pit Bulls are so cuddly!!! Breed more of them.

BringBackFergy

1 hour ago, teef said:

and the fighting continues...

But, we are using our words! Nobody has been bit.   

Yet. 

13 minutes ago, LeviF said:

The capability to murder is part of the fetish charm.

I mentioned earlier I worked with a guy who seemed normal enough, until he started talking about his dog. He told me “I like to see fear in a grown man’s eyes.”  Um, excuse me???  I don’t know about the dog, but that is a guy who has a dog for all the wrong reasons. 

I’ve been bit by a dog once in my life. A friend’s little Schnauzer jumped up and broke the skin on my thigh thru my pants. I was not in fear for my life, but I did consider launching it off the 8th floor balcony. It’s not about how sweet an animal can be, you also have to consider how lethal it can be. If the Schnauzer goes wild, I’ll be OK. 

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

But, we are using our words! Nobody has been bit.   

Yet. 

I mentioned earlier I worked with a guy who seemed normal enough, until he started talking about his dog. He told me “I like to see fear in a grown man’s eyes.”  Um, excuse me???  I don’t know about the dog, but that is a guy who has a dog for all the wrong reasons. 

I’ve been bit by a dog once in my life. A friend’s little Schnauzer jumped up and broke the skin on my thigh thru my pants. I was not in fear for my life, but I did consider launching it off the 8th floor balcony. It’s not about how sweet an animal can be, you also have to consider how lethal it can be. If the Schnauzer goes wild, I’ll be OK. 

I also have only been bit by a done once in my life, was a little dog as well. I was in 5th grade and waiting at the bus stop when a neighbor was walking the dog. I went to pet it and it bit me in my calf, went right through my pants and had the definitive puncture mark with bruising around it.  Needless to say, I was not traumatized for the rest of my life nor did I ever feel my life was  in danger.

It is a bit disingenuous to try and compare the tiny dog bites with that of a pit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

One last anecdotal backstory just for BS sake (backstory)

I owned boxers raising my kids. I LOVED the breed. But they each of THREE all died at 8 years of age due to heart-cancer issues. I thought I need to own a dog who will have longer life something smaller but similar. So Boston terrier was my choice. I see a rescue with a Boston terrier mix. I met her and she was a bundle of joy. We adopted her and at approx  6 months her belly started to sway and she was getting longer. This isn't looking very Boston terrier ish too me. She was a pitbull. With whom I made every mistake and in rectifying those became involved with and learned about them personally. Before acquiring her I would not have had one by choice either, 

the moral to this story? When we plan. God Laughs 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, muppy said:

One last anecdotal backstory just for BS sake (backstory)

I owned boxers raising my kids. I LOVED the breed. But they each of THREE all died at 8 years of age due to heart-cancer issues. I thought I need to own a dog who will have longer life something smaller but similar. So Boston terrier was my choice. I see a rescue with a Boston terrier mix. I met her and she was a bundle of joy. We adopted her and at approx  months her belly started to sway and she was getting longer. This isn't looking very Boston terrier ish too me. She was a pitbull. With whom I made every mistake and in rectifying those became involved with and learned about them personally. Before acquiring her I would not have had one by choice either, 

As I said earlier my wife's family when she was growing up bred shepherds and boxers, she loves them as well but stays away from both breeds due to their issues with cancer.

After growing up with Danes and their lives being so short (my favorite personality of dogs that I have had though) wanted to go the smaller and longer life route as well.

Boston terriers are adorable btw! I have been thinking about them as a future possibility

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I also have only been bit by a done once in my life, was a little dog as well. I was in 5th grade and waiting at the bus stop when a neighbor was walking the dog. I went to pet it and it bit me in my calf, went right through my pants and had the definitive puncture mark with bruising around it.  Needless to say, I was not traumatized for the rest of my life nor did I ever feel my life was  in danger.

It is a bit disingenuous to try and compare the tiny dog bites with that of a pit.

my besties ankle biter bit me on the back of my calf , drew blood. Lil chit (chijuaajua) I don't hate her but she hates ME lol  My friend felt so bad. I milked it, obviously

No I didn't  but anyway 🙂

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

As I said earlier my wife's family when she was growing up bred shepherds and boxers, she loves them as well but stays away from both breeds due to their issues with cancer.

After growing up with Danes and their lives being so short (my favorite personality of dogs that I have had though) wanted to go the smaller and longer life route as well.

Boston terriers are adorable btw! I have been thinking about them as a future possibility

the smooshed in noses can create future health issues if that be the case. That just depends on the dog. The Boston's I have met were the Biggest LOVE BUGS. Best to you 🙂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/dog-attack-statistics-breed/

Great article. 
“Many dog advocates argue that there is no such thing as a bad breed, only a bad owner. Still, it can be helpful to understand which breeds of dogs are most commonly involved in bite incidents or acts of aggression. Dog attacks by breed statistics are invaluable both for individuals looking for a dog to adopt as well as for those who interact with animals who want to minimize risk.”

“Pit bulls are both more likely to be involved in bite incidents and more likely to cause serious injury or death when a bite does occur. In fact, from 1979 to 1998, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention determined pit bulls were involved in the most fatal dog attacks, accounting for 28% deaths due to dog bites during that same time period.⁷”

• Like (+1) 2

Again, just anecdotal evidence, but from personal experience. About 8 years ago my daughter, 15 at the time, was on her daily jog when she saw a Jeep stuck in the mud after a very rare rainfall. She wanted to help the driver, when she was bit by his dog. The skin around her left knee was broken in several places; some wounds were very deep and got infected. The doctor gave us some IV equipment to take home because she needed antibiotics for some time. You can still see the scars... a traumatic experience, especially for a young girl. The dog was a pit bull.

Edited by DrW
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/dog-attack-statistics-breed/

Great article. 
“Many dog advocates argue that there is no such thing as a bad breed, only a bad owner. Still, it can be helpful to understand which breeds of dogs are most commonly involved in bite incidents or acts of aggression. Dog attacks by breed statistics are invaluable both for individuals looking for a dog to adopt as well as for those who interact with animals who want to minimize risk.”

“Pit bulls are both more likely to be involved in bite incidents and more likely to cause serious injury or death when a bite does occur. In fact, from 1979 to 1998, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention determined pit bulls were involved in the most fatal dog attacks, accounting for 28% deaths due to dog bites during that same time period.⁷”

The “responsible” pit owners in this thread and around the country really won’t be persuaded by the mountains of evidence that these dogs are dangerous and potentially deadly. And that’s due to two things - ignorance and arrogance. The fact that some owners believe that any amount of correct training and acclimation can drive out all instincts that have been bred into certain breeds of dogs over generations and generations is frankly laughable and childishly naive.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

The “responsible” pit owners in this thread and around the country really won’t be persuaded by the mountains of evidence that these dogs are dangerous and potentially deadly. And that’s due to two things - ignorance and arrogance. The fact that some owners believe that any amount of correct training and acclimation can drive out all instincts that have been bred into certain breeds of dogs over generations and generations is frankly laughable and childishly naive.

I see you calling me dumb and arrogant. Oh I forgot childish. Gracias. no really. MADE MY DAY. Bless your little heart.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, muppy said:

I see you calling me dumb and arrogant. Oh I forgot childish. Gracias. no really. MADE MY DAY. Bless your little heart.

I take it you were not persuaded?   😋

26 minutes ago, nucci said:

no need to breed . There are plenty of dogs available for adoption

Truth ^^^^^

I'd venture to GUESS  that every animal shelter in the USA is at least at 50% capacity or more.  And that's a low guess.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2024 at 1:20 PM, muppy said:

my besties ankle biter bit me on the back of my calf , drew blood. Lil chit (chijuaajua) I don't hate her but she hates ME lol  My friend felt so bad. I milked it, obviously

Speaking of Chihuahuas.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe, but a chihuahua can't maul you to death. (It will try, though.)

In high school the kid across the street had a chihuahua. It fell off his couch, broke its neck and died. Fragile little nasty monster, that one was. I was not heartbroken. 

• Sad 1

Never thought I’d own a pit. Found one on the street about 12 years ago. Brindle color just looks full muscle about 70 lbs now. He’s been attacked twice in his life both by labs. One of the labs killed a German shepherd the week after he attacked my dog and was put down. My brother was also attacked by a lab when he was about 5.
ive  raised my kids with this pit and not once have I ever even worried he’d do something. The only dog I’ve ever been bitten by was my childhood dog which was a dachshund.

funnyish story. He used to hate water cause he fell in the ocean down the break wall at my old beach house in Carolina. Got cut to hell with all the little things. Well my gf at the time would pretend like she needed help in the pool to get him to come in the water. So he then thought everyone in the water needed help. We were at my lake house here in ny and my nephew was swimming off the dock so he went in after him and grabbed him with his paws thinking he was saving him and scratched him pretty good.  Now we keep him away from the water when people are swimming lol. 
he’s the best dog I’ve ever known

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1