Matt Araiza signs with Chiefs

This clearly opens the floodgates to the premier free agents signing with the Chiefs on 1-year vet minimum deals in order to stack the roster even further.  Suddenly everyone will put money out of their minds and focus on getting a ring.  

The first domino to fall in this direction will likely be Gabe Davis.  

Meanwhile, we will sign a punter to $20mil/year and extend McBeane into the 2040s.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Just got home from work and just seeing this news now. IMO, it’s just another example/indicator of why the Chiefs have won multiple SBs, and why the Bills are perpetual one (or two) and done in the playoffs every year.

After the late season problems that Martin had, MA should have been signed ASAP by the Bills. Beane let us down, again.

Martin won Special Teams player of the month from the start of December to the end of the regular season in January. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

There was ZERO chance Bills were doing anything other than cutting him once the allegations were made.  Remember the allegations?  Having non consensual sex with a minor?  

Remember the Bills were consensus favorites to win the Super Bowl going into that year.  There was again zero chance of keeping him on the roster and have the daily distractions stemming from having an accused rapist on the team.  

Was it fair? Of course not.  Is it insane that he signed with our arch rival?  Of course it is.  But it’s the Bills. Another brick in the wall.

im not talking about the organization.  the court of public opinion was the problem, were u one of them?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beach said:

im not talking about the organization.  the court of public opinion was the problem, were u one of them?

Again, you and others act as if it was just us who had the "pitchforks" out. Everyone, from sports media and non sports media alike to all the other fanbases in the league, were all saying and doing the same thing when it came to this story. You can sit on your high horse in hindsight and judge everyone around here. But it doesn't change how it played out here and would have played out elsewhere.

As I said earlier, there isn't a team in the NFL that would have saved a 53 man roster spot for two straight seasons on a Punter who wasn't here and another spot for the Punter who would be here and dealt with questions about him the entire time.

Sucks that we were the ones who Drafted him and had to cut him. Sucks KC ended up with him. But if it were any of the 31 other teams in the NFL that drafted him instead, including the Chiefs who signed him now, the exact same scenario would have played out for them.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Again, you act as if it was just us who had the "pitchforks" out. Everyone, from sports media and non sports media alike to other fanbases, were all saying and doing the same thing when it came to this story. You can sit on your high horse in hindsight and judge everyone around here.

But as I said earlier, there isn't a team in the NFL that would have saved a 53 man roster spot for two straight seasons on a Punter who wasn't here and another spot for the Punter who would be here and dealt with questions about him the entire time.

Sucks that we were the ones who Drafted him and had to cut him. But if it were any of the 31 other teams in the NFL that drafted him instead, the exact same scenario would have played out for them.

i didnt judge the accused without evidence

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Tried to do this from memory. If it was consensual, what theory was her attorney pushing?  Was she drunk?  In any event, a 22 year old having sex with a 17 year old isn’t a great look.  I’ll repeat.  No way the Bills were going to do anything other than cut him after the allegations came out.

Good question.  It was a dog of a case from the get-go.

3 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

And the rich get richer… Unreal. Dude is gonna punt the crap out of the ball and make everyone look dumb for not signing him sooner. 

exactly--this is the final, missing piece for those KC Super Bowl hopefuls!!

lol, this thread is everything I hoped it would be....and more!!

19 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You can sit on your high horse in hindsight and judge everyone around here.

Thanks -- will do. A whole bunch of people on this forum fell for a fraud, and people like me were telling them that at the time. I'm sure that thread still exists somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Beach said:

i didnt judge the accused without evidence

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

Thanks -- will do. A whole bunch of people on this forum fell for a fraud, and people like me were telling them that at the time. I'm sure that thread still exists somewhere.

I mean... good for both of you, I guess?

Whether you were someone who did or didn't though - it doesn't change the fact that we couldn't use two roster spots on Punters for two years and deal with the media distraction all the while. Everyone on this board and fanbase could have said nothing at all, it wouldn't have mattered.

The result would have been the same, any way you slice it, with any team that drafted him. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think Townsend wants the highest punting contract on the market. I think Araiza will start there. But he is a downgrade on Townsend. My issue with Araiza was always his hang time was a problem despite his leg.

It’s not a downgrade when you consider the salary cap hit of Ariza vs Townsend.  Maybe a 5% drop off in productivity for an 80% cap savings?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

This is just another example of why the Chiefs are kicking everyone's rear including the Bills when he it comes to the salary cap.  That team has at least 30 plus players making 2 million of less and for next season.  The Chiefs have many guys making just above one million and this signing today will be another one.  

Terry Pegula needs to start asking questions on why Beane has so many bad contracts and are always having to rework deals. There are guys on this team that I would cut right now,  Harty/Neal/Hines.  

Anyone who does not agree then I suggest to look up the Chiefs cap situation on over the cap

Chiefs got rid of their $25+million WR. They got cap space and 5 draft picks to fill their roster.

There is zero chance Bills fans would’ve said trade Diggs a couple years ago instead of extending him.

Patriots and Chiefs are similar where they never broke the bank for offensive weapons for their all world QB. Only smart team friendly moves. Even Randy Moss was acquired by NE for cheap.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I mean... good for both of you, I guess?

Whether you were someone who did or didn't though - it doesn't change the fact that we couldn't use two roster spots on Punters for two years and deal with the media distraction all the while. Everyone on this board and fanbase could have said nothing at all, it wouldn't have mattered.

The result would have been the same, any way you slice it, with any team that drafted him. 

People like you are the reason why there was a media distraction. Nobody was willing to apply the slightest amount of critical scrutiny to a story that was shady af from the very beginning.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1