WR or Dlineman? What would be your main priority..

9 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Bills have a need for Dline and if they use a first round pick he’ll make an impact in 3 to 4 years. Go with the WR.

While I agree that WR is the way to go, I don't think this assessment is correct.

For example, in the 2022 Draft, Treylon Burks was drafted by Tennessee at 18. Jermaine Johnson was drafted by New York at 26 and George Karlaftis was drafted by Kansas City at 32. Both of them performed well immediately while Burks has been a disappointment. 

Any position can hit immediately or bust depending on the player.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

While I agree that WR is the way to go, I don't think this assessment is correct.

For example, in the 2022 Draft, Treylon Burks was drafted by Tennessee at 18. Jermaine Johnson was drafted by New York at 26 and George Karlaftis was drafted by Kansas City at 32. Both of them performed well immediately while Burks has been a disappointment. 

Any position can hit immediately or bust depending on the player.

McD/Beanes history of drafting Dlineman is all I care about

• Like (+1) 1

If there's a really good safety available when they pick in R1, that's the guy.  There are enough good WRs in this draft to meet the Bills needs in other rounds.  The Bills are playing with fire, not getting Hyde/Poyer replacements in place and familiar with the system already.

If the Bills really want another D lineman, I'm guessing Boogie Basham will be available. Oh, you say that's a bad idea?  Well how about throwing another high draft pick D lineman out there and expecting something more than Boogie brought.  That's what Beane would be doing. 

7 minutes ago, BananaB said:

McD/Beanes history of drafting Dlineman is all I care about

And that's a pretty lousy history.  He'll be better off getting a FA or two.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Because it's a deep draft at WR, you conclude we should take DTs in the first two rounds? That is complete crazy talk. First, you should prioritize the premium positions at the top of the draft. QB, WR, LT, CB. DT is not one of those. You can find big, serviceable DTs in the middle of the draft. You can find quick slot receivers there, too. A boundary receiver with size and speed is much harder to find. The best receivers are going in the top 40, and that's allowing for tier 1, tier 2, and probably a few of tier 3.

Sure, I take Sweat in the 2nd if he is there. I might even trade up a bit to grab him if I've already secured WR in the first. And if you are taking D that early, safety is very important in McD's system, though I think free agency and an early day 3 pick can address the need. The best thing to help Josh Allen is giving him quality WRs. A truly potent offense that scares the other team is what we should be, not a solid offense with Josh Allen elevating day 2 and 3 Wrs. That will also help our D by putting the other team more often in catch-up mode, which simplifies the options.

Yes i do.   Crazy would be something like moving up in a deep class.     Like moron Whaley moving up for Sammy Watkins.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Because it's a deep draft at WR, you conclude we should take DTs in the first two rounds? That is complete crazy talk. First, you should prioritize the premium positions at the top of the draft. QB, WR, LT, CB. DT is not one of those. You can find big, serviceable DTs in the middle of the draft. You can find quick slot receivers there, too. A boundary receiver with size and speed is much harder to find. The best receivers are going in the top 40, and that's allowing for tier 1, tier 2, and probably a few of tier 3.

Sure, I take Sweat in the 2nd if he is there. I might even trade up a bit to grab him if I've already secured WR in the first. And if you are taking D that early, safety is very important in McD's system, though I think free agency and an early day 3 pick can address the need. The best thing to help Josh Allen is giving him quality WRs. A truly potent offense that scares the other team is what we should be, not a solid offense with Josh Allen elevating day 2 and 3 Wrs. That will also help our D by putting the other team more often in catch-up mode, which simplifies the options.

Yes I do.   As a previous poster stated the Chiefs played the game with zero first round  WRs in that game.   7-0 in the playoffs without Tyreek Hill.   Seems Rams have done well, where was Kupp drafted or Nacua?    Lions best receiver---where was St. Brown drafted.   Where was Diggs drafted.   Packers doing well without a first round wr.   Our soon to be 35 year old, blindside DE had zero sacks, hes shot, hes done and he cant be cut. Shakir was really coming on the 2nd half.

35 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Yes I do.   As a previous poster stated the Chiefs played the game with zero first round  WRs in that game.   7-0 in the playoffs without Tyreek Hill.   Seems Rams have done well, where was Kupp drafted or Nacua?    Lions best receiver---where was St. Brown drafted.   Where was Diggs drafted.   Packers doing well without a first round wr.   Our soon to be 35 year old, blindside DE had zero sacks, hes shot, hes done and he cant be cut. Shakir was really coming on the 2nd half.

So Beane drafted Gabe, Stevenson, Shakir, the kid from Florida late and few others already. Shakir looks promising but it’s the end of year two and  Gabe looked promising until he seen a lot of time. You gonna roll the dice on more late round picks after previous history when you need production now. Makes sense. Good luck with that. Beane even thought Shitfield and Sharty were answers to our WR problem… Maybe they can call the Rams and see who they think can be productive on Sundays. 

On top of that you have a coaching staff that thought Shitfield and Sharty were better than Shakir after seeing them in practice every day. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by BananaB

1 hour ago, billsfan714 said:

Yes i do.   Crazy would be something like moving up in a deep class.     Like moron Whaley moving up for Sammy Watkins.

I do think there are a few elite WRs it would be worth moving up for, but the cost would be prohibitive. If Nabers slipped to 20, which won't happen, I would try to get him. It would be foolish for a GM to look at a prior situation that did not work out and turn it into an iron law against ever moving up for WR, for instance. However, I didn't say move up for WR. I said in effect, don't use a deep draft at WR as a reason to wait until the 3rd round to take one.

1 hour ago, billsfan714 said:

Again, you are cherry-picking. The best chance of drafting an elite WR is to take one early, and then take a shot in the mid-rounds. You don't say, oh, here are examples of later round gems, we can wait. By that logic, teams should wait till the sixth round to take a QB, because Tom Brady was available. Further, there are not many exceptional Edge players that are likely to be there at #28. I doubt there will be a DT that merits the selection. It's great that Shakir was coming on. Cook and Kincaid are weapons. We have no exceptional boundary receivers. We don't have an X with reliable hands that can stretch the field. We lack explosive speed. Diggs is aging and was ineffective the second half of last year. Maybe, give Josh Allen, your once-in-a-lifetime generational talent at QB, some elite, young WR talent to work with, instead of always asking him to elevate middle round picks and mediocre free agents.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

If the Bills go Round 1 for DT (which is the popular position this week), is he a 3 or a 1, or a 3 who could play 1, etc.? Bills wouldn't draft a DT in round 1 unless they brought pass rush skills and you already have that in Oliver. Is there a true 1 tech that can also pass rush? If not, I don't love tackle in Rd 1.

• Like (+1) 1

WR unless its a reach.  They been doing the Dline thing for years.  It aint working.  Time to invest in Josh.  They do need to retool some of the defense though, but they have to address WR somehow and that aint by paying Davis or status quo with low end FAs.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the priority order depends on whether they are able to retain/replace some of their DL FA.  Currently, the only DEs under contract are Greg Rousseau, an aging Von Miller and Kingsley Johnathan.  The only DTs are Ed Oliver, and, Eli Ankou,

If the above is the situation at draft time, I think they have to make DE and DT priority 1.  If they can retain maybe Daquan Jones and AJ Epenesa, then I can see WR being priority 1.

• Agree 1

Dline for sure. We can make do with our WR’s and a rookie in round 3 because we class is deep this year. Is there even a Dline stud available at the end of Round 1? Or do we shed some contracts and go free agency?

🤔🤔🤔

If you're looking for a WR that can come in and replace Davis right away and become your long term number one, you'd better take him in the 1st round. I think receivers will fly off the board in the 1st and 2nd rounds, to hope to get one at #60 that can step right in is hoping for a lot. Diggs may only have a year or two left with the team and to find his eventual replacement now would make sense.

S, DT, DE can follow.

If they go D-Line in the first, expect KC to take the WR we should've taken ... And he'll be a star.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the majority of the fan base is in the WR camp… Dont reach for it if those top 6 guys are gone @ 28, Which I think as it stands right now, 5 will be gone. Which puts me into the shift of if they believe it’s a DLineman; an area of high need then so be it. Same goes for Safety. Some massive holes that need addressed. 

WR>DL>S

Let the chips fall where they may. We have a stellar QB and whilst we do will always remain competitive. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.