Allen, the Super Bowl "window," and the KC hurdle

He's only 27. Peyton Manning didn't win his first playoff game until he was two months shy of 28. Manning was 0-6 in his first six games against Brady; Allen was 3-3 in his first six against Mahomes.

I have my issues with how the team has been constructed since he was drafted, but let's not get crazy about any window being "wasted" or dwindling.

Edited by Patrick Fitzryan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 8

Agreed .

Bills couldn’t stop shooting themselves in the foot in many games this year, lost their best defensive player early in the season. Had a high priced defensive player who will likely only be on the team for one more season basically be a no show for the entire year, found themselves at 6-6 and still ended up with the 2 seed. 

All signs point to the Bills being perennial contenders. If ever there was a year for the Bills to miss the playoffs or be one and done in the playoffs it would have been this year .

• Like (+1) 3

The Bills can beat the Chiefs. They have done it alot. Just not in the postseason. And two of those games came down to the wire. 

I believe it's coaching that wins KC the playoff games. Which is why realistically 2024 is McD's last chance. Anything short of a conference title game, I think he is out. I still can't forgive him for "13 seconds". That still stings. 

This team needs a HC to push them over the hump. Belichick would improve this D. And we already have the QB. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

9 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

The Bills can beat the Chiefs. They have done it alot. Just not in the postseason. And two of those games came down to the wire. 

I believe it's coaching that wins KC the playoff games. Which is why realistically 2024 is McD's last chance. Anything short of a conference title game, I think he is out. I still can't forgive him for "13 seconds". That still stings. 

This team needs a HC to push them over the hump. Belichick would improve this D. And we already have the QB. 

Yeah, I agree that I'll really never forgive him for 13 seconds unless McDermott wins a Super Bowl. Allen was on a trajectory that season like Flacco in 2012. Just in the zone.

10 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Allen plays a physical game, so comparing him to a pocket passer seems disingenuous.

Regardless, if Marino didn’t win one, nothing is guaranteed. 

A good point. We're going to get a point where he maybe breaks down. That said, I've been saying for a few years that if Allen doesn't stop running so aggressively, he will inevitably get injured, yet his two major injuries happened to him in the pocket.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Allen plays a physical game, so comparing him to a pocket passer seems disingenuous.

Regardless, if Marino didn’t win one, nothing is guaranteed. 

Disingenous? I don’t know think so. Even IF Allen has a shorter career, I expect him to play through the age of 30 at a high level. That is three more years, three more years at which the window is wide open at a minimum. And that is the absolute minimum IMO. 

There are fools in the media that thought we would miss the playoffs this year going into this season because they thought our window had closed. 

Agreed nothing is guaranteed. Bills have shown an inability to rise to the occasion of the defensive side of the ball against the better teams. Small sample size as those teams are just the Chiefs and Bengals but it’s still worrisome. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

The Bills can beat the Chiefs.

We keep saying this but when it matters the Bills can’t. Of all the seasons to beat KC this was it. They were vulnerable. Home game for the Bills. If they can’t get it done under those circumstances it’s hard to think they can do it.

The window is still open as long as Allen is here. But to get the job done will not be easy. Cincy will still be there as well. 

No team remains the same forever. Just think, now that Jim Harbaugh is with the Chargers the Chiefs will finally have a real threat to them taking their division and having the best record in the AFC. Raiders beat the Chiefs last season and Denver with Sean Payton should be better. 

Andy Reid might decide to retire soon and that should cause ole Patty to not be so great...unless of course, they are able to find another genius for a head coach.

beating the chiefs is 100 % on the defense.

Mcdermott's group comes up short every year, low scoring games, high scoring games...doesn't matter his defense comes up small.

and now they are essentially starting over on the defensive line which will take up precious resources, replacing precious resources that have already been spent on the defensive line.

it feels like mcdermott is in the same spot tony dungy was in when he was in tampa...he just had no answers and could not get over the hump.

hopefully they have an A+ draft and find some productive players in mid level free agency.  

So far their answer to the defense not getting over the hump was to overpay for von miller who then was injured and is not the same player anymore and they are stuck with him.  He was supposed to be their charles haley, reggie white or jevon kearse to get them over the hump and he has been an expensive dud.

They have dug quite a hole with the roster defensively and with a bad contract to miller.  I am not sure how you rebuild an entire defensive line in one offseason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8

The difference between Manning and Allen is that Allen has been excellent in the playoffs, including against the Chiefs. Manning was often shut down by Belichick's defense and earned his share of the blame for losing those games.

That's what makes this all so maddening. Allen has no margin for error because he has next to no help in big games. Not to mention the clapping goof on the sidelines crapping his pants when the pressure turns up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

He's only 27. Peyton Manning didn't win his first playoff game until he was two months shy of 28. Manning was 0-6 in his first six games against Brady; Allen was 3-3 in his first six against Mahomes.

I have my issues with how the team has been constructed since he was drafted, but let's not get crazy about any window being "wasted" or dwindling.

Get Allen a couple more weapons that are consistent.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

McDermott's window is next year

Anything short of s SuperBowl appearance and he has to go. 

We’ll see how it unfolds but yea.  

With the candidates next year…..it will have to be considered if it goes bad.  

Ben Johnson

Slowick 

BB

In that order.  

Those guys will be at the top of the list - don’t brush off Belichick.  It’s the most logical “what this team needs to get over the hump” answer.  The winningest coach in history. 

But I’d prefer Johnson or Slowick.  

They’ll be others that emerge.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Ben Johnson

Slowick 

BB

In that order.  

Those guys will be at the top of the list - don’t brush off Belichick.  It’s the most logical “what this team needs to get over the hump” answer.  The winningest coach in history. 

What if the Bills had LOST 5 straight after being 6-6? What if they had top-10 picks in each round and a new, offensive head coach in Ben Johnson? Part of me was open to that kind of result this year. Organizational reset. 

Still could happen in 2024, but seems unlikely as long as #17 is healthy. He's too good to get his head coach fired. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

beating the chiefs is 100 % on the defense.

Mcdermott's group comes up short every year, low scoring games, high scoring games...doesn't matter his defense comes up small.

and now they are essentially starting over on the defensive line which will take up precious resources, replacing precious resources that have already been spent on the defensive line.

it feels like mcdermott is in the same spot tony dungy was in when he was in tampa...he just had no answers and could not get over the hump.

hopefully they have an A+ draft and find some productive players in mid level free agency.  

So far their answer to the defense not getting over the hump was to overpay for von miller who then was injured and is not the same player anymore and they are stuck with him.  He was supposed to be their charles haley, reggie white or jevon kearse to get them over the hump and he has been an expensive dud.

They have dug quite a hole with the roster defensively and with a bad contract to miller.  I am not sure how you rebuild an entire defensive line in one offseason.

The last thing I ever want to see in my lifetime is Josh having the same fate as Marino. I'll probably never see an unbelievably athletic qb like him again.  But for whatever reason the God's don't favor us.  Mahomes just has to marry up with Andy like the Bill & Tom show. The AFC is absolutely loaded. Every fricken year injuries devastate us. Our coaching is incompetent.  You can set your watch to our defense letting Josh down every January. There is most definitely a first window and it has closed. Now we have to sit back and be patient for new youth ( wrs, de, etc) to hopefully begin 17's 2nd window.  Hopefully Sean won't be part of that era.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Ben Johnson

Slowick 

BB

In that order.  

If McD craps the bed a 6th straight time in the playoffs,  I'm firing him immediately and putting Ben Johnson on speed dial.  

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If McD craps the bed a 6th straight time in the playoffs,  I'm firing him immediately and putting Ben Johnson on speed dial.  

Ben Johnson is getting reviews of being a recluse that believes he’s worth $15M per year. Harbaugh got $16M.

That should be perfect to lead an organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Patty boy (I’m Irish so we always end of converting Pat to Patty), you’re correct as this is media hype hot take crap.  We now have a solid O Line, good RB, two good TE’s, one of the best most exciting QB’s in the league on offense, and contrary to what people are saying, a true #1 WR.  On defense other than most likely letting Hyde and White go, we have excellent LBers, a DL worth extending some,amd decent CB’s.  We still have one last year from Poyer.

So yes,we need possible two WR’s, a Safety, and some DL help.  We have 10 picks in the draft so we have enough ammunition as long as Beane picks well.  Contrary to some scammers who get on this board, Beane overall has done a good job.  Some people just have no patience to allow a player to develop.  Case in point is Bernard.  He looked suspect when he played a little his rookie year, but was excellent in year 2.  Spencer Brown was decent in year 3.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.