Bills add Miami Hurricanes DB coach Jahmile Addae to coach secondary

Gregg

3 hours ago, T master said:

If the Bills get a Kitchen(s) for James to Cook some Bass in for a Sunday Fins fry Buffalo will be a very highly sought after happy place to be !!

Just cause i miss the WNY fish fry's ! Go Bills .

I would Digg(s) some of that, plus some "Poona" for dessert.

😀 

• Haha (+1) 1

I've come in late to this thread, but why are we concerned with our new DB coach being a poor recruiter in the college game? That's not a thing in the NFL.

I would think our secondary performance lacking a bit against the upper echelon opponents is what we're trying to bring in and fix here... With that said, I don't know Curry from Adam. :)

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

My take is that the Bills had no choice but to promote Babich, or they would have lost him to one of the other teams that was interviewing him.  He also has an impressive track record with the LB's that suggests he's a rising star in the coaching ranks and was worthy of the promotion.  That left them in a bad spot with Butler, who was also worthy/deserving of the promotion.  Rather than face the indignity of working for a guy who got the promotion that he wanted/felt he deserved, Butler elected to move on and the Bills had to replace him and hired Addae.  I admit to knowing nothing about Addae other than what I've read in this thread, but obviously, I hope he succeeds.  As others have said, Butler will land on his feet and I wish him success - in the NFC.

Butler was hired by his childhood friend McDermott in 2018 after he was fired as a position coach from the only NFL job he's ever had.

His friend McDermott gave him a nice promotion two years ago to 'passing game defensive coordinator' but (unlike Babich) he's never been interviewed for a true DC job. There's no real indication that he's qualified for such a position on a Super Bowl contending NFL franchise. 

Maybe he's a good coach, or maybe he just was lucky to join this franchise when he did. Either way, if he wants to move up the ladder he should spend less time whining on social media and more time finding either a DC job at the collegiate level or moving on and proving himself as an elite DB coach under a new head coach at one of the other 32 NFL teams.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

"Before his tenure at Miami, Addae won a national title on the staff at Georgia. He also served as the co-defensive coordinator at West Virginia and had earlier stops at Minnesota, Arizona and Cincinnati."

Great hire. My guess is we'll have a lot of depth pieces taken later in the draft at DB, and this is the perfect guy to help coach them up. Also would be great if it propelled Elam but who knows.

1, a surprise - John Butler vet coach was let go - he posted his accomplishments on social media - weird vibe all around- reading into,,,I should be the DC and if not do I really wanna be here...

2, Kair Elam - social media post about Butler - "No comment"...source WGR radio this morning

Just now, First Round Bust said:

1, a surprise - John Butler vet coach was let go - he posted his accomplishments on social media - weird vibe all around- reading into,,,I should be the DC and if not do I really wanna be here...

2, Kair Elam - social media post about Butler - "No comment"...source WGR radio this morning

1) imho he didn't deserve it. 

2) Elam needs to actually not be a healthy scratch and perform well in his THIRD year, before making remarks in the media, again imho. 

7 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Butler was hired by his childhood friend McDermott in 2018 after he was fired as a position coach from the only NFL job he's ever had.

His friend McDermott gave him a nice promotion two years ago to 'passing game defensive coordinator' but (unlike Babich) he's never been interviewed for a true DC job. There's no real indication that he's qualified for such a position on a Super Bowl contending NFL franchise. 

Maybe he's a good coach, or maybe he just was lucky to join this franchise when he did. Either way, if he wants to move up the ladder he should spend less time whining on social media and more time finding either a DC job at the collegiate level or moving on and proving himself as an elite DB coach under a new head coach at one of the other 32 NFL teams.

The fact that the Bills' defensive backs have performed well over the years are an indication that he might be qualified.  Outside of Elam, our other defensive backs have performed pretty well during Butler's tenure.  He's been a defensive position coach on a successful NFL team for several years and has earned a promotion during that time.  Those are typically the type of guys who get promoted to defensive coordinator roles.  I'm no insider at One Bills Drive.  Like most people here, I watch all the games, read stuff online, and participate on this board.  So I really don't know if he's qualified, but it's certainly possible that he is, and its even more likely that he THINKS he is qualified.  As such, I stand by my opinion that he wanted the promotion to DC and decided to part ways with the team when Babich got it.  I agree with you that ranting on social media is not a good look at all, even if it was not a large time investment to do it.

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

The fact that the Bills' defensive backs have performed well over the years are an indication that he might be qualified.  Outside of Elam, our other defensive backs have performed pretty well during Butler's tenure.  He's been a defensive position coach on a successful NFL team for several years and has earned a promotion during that time.  Those are typically the type of guys who get promoted to defensive coordinator roles.  I'm no insider at One Bills Drive.  Like most people here, I watch all the games, read stuff online, and participate on this boar

d.  So I really don't know if he's qualified, but it's certainly possible that he is, and its even more likely that he THINKS he is qualified.  As such, I stand by my opinion that he wanted the promotion to DC and decided to part ways with the team when Babich got it.  I agree with you that ranting on social media is not a good look at all, even if it was not a large time investment to do it.

Usually when someone is qualified, they are interviewed for the position by at least one team. As far as I know Butler has never interviewed for a NFL DC position.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Usually when someone is qualified, they are interviewed for the position by at least one team. As far as I know Butler has never interviewed for a NFL DC position.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with this. Babich was a hot commodity around the league and Butler was not. So I assume the rest of the league had the same thoughts the Bills had. Butler can be mad if he wants, but posts like that don't typically go well around the coaching community.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think there is necessarily a correlation between being qualified for the position and being interviewed for it.  Eric Bieniemy has a lot of experience as an NFL offensive coordinator and did a decent job with what he had in Washington last season.  Although he didn't call plays in KC, he had several years experience there as an OC.  He was not retained when Ron Rivera's staff was terminated.  From what I read, he was not offered any interviews for open OC positions in the NFL or NCAA.  He's certainly qualified to do that job.  There's no objective way to quantify something like that.  So I think we can agree to disagree on whether interviews=qualified.  I think we CAN agree that Babich was clearly in higher demand than Butler and hence, he's the new DC and Butler is out the door.

Edited by msw2112

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree with this. Babich was a hot commodity around the league and Butler was not. So I assume the rest of the league had the same thoughts the Bills had. Butler can be mad if he wants, but posts like that don't typically go well around the coaching community.  

For as good as the Bills secondary was statistically I think it was probably understood around the league that the Bills biggest fundamental weakness come playoff time was their inability to really excel at man coverage in situations when they needed to be able to at least mix it up a lot better against high octane playoff opponents.    They've been fish in a barrel in the secondary in their exit game each of the past 4 seasons.

That reflects on Butler directly.......not so much on Babich or Washington.  

I think McD actually might be seen as less culpable by some because he tried to integrate a true man cover CB by signing off on the Elam selection.

You'd presume Butler would find good work but after the run of speedboat jobs against his secondary you wonder what the appetite is for a guy whose game might not be seen as fully adaptable. 

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Maybe his teammate James Williams in the 3rd Rd. 

Williams is moving to LB.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he ran like a 4.7 or something at the combine.   He plays slow.   Violent but not fast.   

He isn't a starting NFL safety, IMO and drafting safeties early is like drafting RB's........they'd BETTER be very good or you wasted a pick.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

To me, this personally says they were not happy with Butler's ability to get Elam to a place where he could contribute. Especially the part about "mutually decided to part ways". Yes, he may have gotten Benford and Jackson up to speed and helped Douglas integrate well, but the Bills spent a first round pick on Elam who has massive amounts of untapped talent and I feel they are laying some of that at Butler's feet.  At the very least they believe he should have been able to help more than he did over the last 2 years.  

Likely both sides were getting frustrated with McD believing he didn't do enough with Elam and Butler pointing out all the others who performed well above expectations.  Likely just both said they had enough and had reached an impasse. Butler also may have felt he did enough for DC consideration but McD likely laughed him off and said we gave you a premier talent and you did nothing with him, how can I justify that?

Edited by Big Turk

20 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The fact that the Bills' defensive backs have performed well over the years are an indication that he might be qualified.  Outside of Elam, our other defensive backs have performed pretty well during Butler's tenure.  He's been a defensive position coach on a successful NFL team for several years and has earned a promotion during that time.  Those are typically the type of guys who get promoted to defensive coordinator roles.  I'm no insider at One Bills Drive.  Like most people here, I watch all the games, read stuff online, and participate on this board.  So I really don't know if he's qualified, but it's certainly possible that he is, and its even more likely that he THINKS he is qualified.  As such, I stand by my opinion that he wanted the promotion to DC and decided to part ways with the team when Babich got it.  I agree with you that ranting on social media is not a good look at all, even if it was not a large time investment to do it.

The Bills had three coaches who have been being groomed by McD.  Washington, Butler, and Babich.  He deferred the decision a year after Frazier left.  No doubt all three of those guys knew the score.  All there were more than competent coaches.  All three showed at least some leadership potential to be part of that.  McD ultimately chose Babich.  Washington got his DC job.  Butler did not.  

This is an example of outstanding organizational management and development.  There is literally no other way to interpret it.  The fact that Butler chose to react the way he did to the  disappointment of not getting this critical leadership role supports the decision to not give him the job IMO.  Good luck to him.  He is a good DB coach.  Not everyone is cut out for leadership.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.