Today I Learned, Early 2024 Edition

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I once microwaved an egg sunny side up.  When I put a fork on it & broke the yolk, the thing exploded.  Egg on the kitchen ceiling & my ears were ringing from the explosion.  

I know someone who tried "hard boiling" eggs in the microwave for Easter. I could almost hear the voice of Peppermint Pattie yelling, "Marcie!!"

Edited by WhoTom

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I need a new saw so I'm getting a Dewalt 10 inch miter saw.

I'm building a play ramp for my dogs and my Skil saw isn't doing the job.  It's a cheaper one and I don't have a steady enough hand to cut it straight...I need better equipment.  

there's a lot of dog chatter from you today.  did you get new dogs?

3 hours ago, f0neguy said:

If you’re looking at a 10 inch mitre saw, consider a 12 inch.  Sooner or later you’ll be thankful for the bigger blade.

My next project is rebuilding my front porch.  Will the 10 inch blade be able to cut a 4x4 easy?

2 hours ago, teef said:

there's a lot of dog chatter from you today.  did you get new dogs?

I got a new kitten named DaQuan.  He's cool.

My older dog partially tore he ACL so the vet told me I need to keep strengthening her legs to prevent this happening again.  She's a thick pit.

Its the same ramp at the dog park she loves.  She will run up and down it all day.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My next project is rebuilding my front porch.  Will the 10 inch blade be able to cut a 4x4 easy?

I got a new kitten named DaQuan.  He's cool.

My older dog partially tore he ACL so the vet told me I need to keep strengthening her legs to prevent this happening again.  She's a thick pit.

Its the same ramp at the dog park she loves.  She will run up and down it all day.

the acl issue is such a pain for larger dogs.  my dog never has really had any medical issues except for the acl.  he tore on back leg 4-5 years ago.  at that time they said they seem me back in a couple of years for the other leg.  sure enough, two years later while my dog was running towards me when i got home, i watched him tear the other.  the surgeries went well and healed perfectly, but i think i was 9-10k deep after that.  my wife was pissy about it, and i let he know that i'd pay for the surgery for that dog before i paid for hers.

• Haha (+1) 1

Concerning capacity of a 10 inch miter saw..  I wouldn’t recommend cutting a 4x4 with a 10 inch saw.  Especially if you need an angled cut (30 or 45 degrees).  Cutting 4x4’s or 2x8’s you’ll want a 12 inch blade.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm building a play ramp for my dogs and my Skil saw isn't doing the job.  It's a cheaper one and I don't have a steady enough hand to cut it straight...I need better equipment.  

4 hours ago, f0neguy said:

If you’re looking at a 10 inch mitre saw, consider a 12 inch.  Sooner or later you’ll be thankful for the bigger blade.

Bigger costs more, but 10" is too damned small to be of much use.

I'd go even bigger than 12 if you can afford it.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You guys have convinced me to upgrade sizes.

as my best friend explained to me long ago, you always spend a little more on things like tools and appliances.  you'll be more disappointed that you didn't rather than disappointed that you did.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, teef said:

the acl issue is such a pain for larger dogs.  my dog never has really had any medical issues except for the acl.  he tore on back leg 4-5 years ago.  at that time they said they seem me back in a couple of years for the other leg.  sure enough, two years later while my dog was running towards me when i got home, i watched him tear the other.  the surgeries went well and healed perfectly, but i think i was 9-10k deep after that.  my wife was pissy about it, and i let he know that i'd pay for the surgery for that dog before i paid for hers.

Mine is only 40 lbs but she's stocky.  She is like Mike Tolbert but doesn't have the leg strength.  I even built her an indoor dog ramp for the couch.  

I am going to add wood plates at the bottom with a paw print etched into them....ahhhh!

Dogs need their ACL.  People don't....like John Elway.  Are you married to a replica of John Elway?

19 minutes ago, teef said:

as my best friend explained to me long ago, you always spend a little more on things like tools and appliances.  you'll be more disappointed that you didn't rather than disappointed that you did.

I have 3 big oak trees in my backyard that sheds large branches a lot.  I thought a cheap little Craftsman chainsaw would be at least strong enough to go through a tree branch as thick as a baseball bat.  Nope, it doesn't cut it at all.  Like the chain won't power through a branch so it really has no use unless I'm cutting cardboard.  I wasted like $80.

But also what I have learned is time.  Spend more for a machine/equipment/device that will do it right and faster.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

On 2/1/2024 at 8:15 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I have 3 big oak trees in my backyard that sheds large branches a lot.  I thought a cheap little Craftsman chainsaw would be at least strong enough to go through a tree branch as thick as a baseball bat.  Nope, it doesn't cut it at all.  Like the chain won't power through a branch so it really has no use unless I'm cutting cardboard.  I wasted like $80.

But also what I have learned is time.  Spend more for a machine/equipment/device that will do it right and faster.

FWIW... The Dewalt cordless chainsaw really cuts well. I was skeptical but the 60vMax keeps up with medium duty fuel powered performance machines... No blasted fuel/mix small engine maintenance... Storage is a breeze. I am charging my phone with one of the batteries right now as I type this. 

On 1/31/2024 at 10:47 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Heh. I have a 10 inch Ryobi miter that I'm about to put on Craig's List. I have no idea what to ask for it.

On 1/31/2024 at 4:45 PM, teef said:

For what it's worth.

There is mounting evidence that  the acl issue might be connected to early neutering, ie less than a year, and puppy    diets that promote unusually fast growth.

My son's dog, a beautiful 65 lb white swiss shepherd, had the same thing happen. Two acl's seven months apart.

We just picked up a new puppy for us, a Golden/Swiss Pyrenees mix. He's 11 seeks old now, and we aren not having him neutered until he is slightly over a year old. Had a lengthy conversation about this with our vet and the guy who did the two acl surgeries.  

For all my Miter Saw homies out there…

I bought a 12 inch, double bevel sliding Bosch.  My friend is a Master Carpenter and sold this one to me for $500, retails for $900.  He wants a new Makita.

I was going to wait until the spring to do my porch but I am starting today.  I feel like a kid with a new toy and just want to use it all the time.

Cutting angles weren’t always easy for me but this thing does it perfectly without difficulty.  

17 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Nobody ever complained about having tools that were too good…

For sure.  It makes projects more enjoyable.

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

For what it's worth.

There is mounting evidence that  the acl issue might be connected to early neutering, ie less than a year, and puppy    diets that promote unusually fast growth.

My son's dog, a beautiful 65 lb white swiss shepherd, had the same thing happen. Two acl's seven months apart.

We just picked up a new puppy for us, a Golden/Swiss Pyrenees mix. He's 11 seeks old now, and we aren not having him neutered until he is slightly over a year old. Had a lengthy conversation about this with our vet and the guy who did the two acl surgeries.  

What is the reason for it?  Have the Vets come up with theories?

13 hours ago, boater said:

Heh. I have a 10 inch Ryobi miter that I'm about to put on Craig's List. I have no idea what to ask for it.

I saw them at Home Depot yesterday for $330 sliding compound.

$239 without sliding 

7 hours ago, sherpa said:

For what it's worth.

wow.  this is a really great heads up.  i'll likely get another large dog at some point, and this is something i'll bring up to the vet.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What is the reason for it?  Have the Vets come up with theories?

The theory is that having normal sex hormones produced by the ovaries/testes has some effect on the joints and even behavior and cognitive ability.

There are a bunch of youtubes discussing this, and most name reliable studies.

The juiced up puppy food evidently causes slightly more rapid growth and less time for the joints joints and associated parts to keep up, resulting in problems down the line at relatively normal joint stress levels.

Anyway, based on discussions I had with our vet at our pups first visit this week, and the guy who did the two acl's on my son's dog, (he says he's now doing six acl's/week), I'm holding off the neutering until at least the 13 month old timeframe.

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

The theory is that having normal sex hormones produced by the ovaries/testes has some effect on the joints and even behavior and cognitive ability.

There are a bunch of youtubes discussing this, and most name reliable studies.

The juiced up puppy food evidently causes slightly more rapid growth and less time for the joints joints and associated parts to keep up, resulting in problems down the line at relatively normal joint stress levels.

Anyway, based on discussions I had with our vet at our pups first visit this week, and the guy who did the two acl's on my son's dog, (he says he's now doing six acl's/week), I'm holding off the neutering until at least the 13 month old timeframe.

Damn, I never knew this.  Ive had one male dog, never neutered.

I have two females and one was spayed at roughly 15 months.  The other around 10.

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

I think they are just trying to be nice when they tell you that

No, I have known a few guys with big saws.  They complain that they can’t use the entire saw because some of the wood can’t handle it.  

Some wood needs giant saws, some wood is perfectly with small Dremel’s but honestly would prefer more but the Dremel is nice.  

Mid sized saw will do the job almost every time.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No, I have known a few guys with big saws.  They complain that they can’t use the entire saw because some of the wood can’t handle it.  

Some wood needs giant saws, some wood is perfectly with small Dremel’s but honestly would prefer more but the Dremel is nice.  

Mid sized saw will do the job almost every time.

Like the story about the girl and the bears?

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/5/2024 at 6:05 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Certainly you are happy to hear this wonderful news, no? :) 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.