Bobby Slowik takes extension in Houston

Roundybout

Smart. They're waiting for a better opportunity in '25...

Although with new ownership in DC, if they're willing to be hands-off and let a coach build their own program, that should be an enticing job for a young coach. I wonder if there's some trepidation with their new ownership or if guys like Slowik and Johnson feel like they can get a job with a franchise QB already in tow next year. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

What are Seattle and Washington going to do?

Seriously. I mean, what does this say about those two jobs? You have to figure that Slowik and Ben Johnson were both high on the list. Now what? Does either reach out to BB? Does BB say, "Nah, that's a pass for me too dawg," because he wasn't high on the list? It's almost like they have to settle for someone. Is that really how you want to build your next regime? Settling for a head coach? Pretty wild actually. 

18 minutes ago, H2o said:

Seriously. I mean, what does this say about those two jobs? You have to figure that Slowik and Ben Johnson were both high on the list. Now what? Does either reach out to BB? Does BB say, "Nah, that's a pass for me too dawg," because he wasn't high on the list? It's almost like they have to settle for someone. Is that really how you want to build your next regime? Settling for a head coach? Pretty wild actually. 

Could be a real awkward call for Seatle to Pete Carrol. "So you remember how we didn't fire you?"

• Haha (+1) 1

These young guys don't want to be the inaugural coach under a brand new owner in Washington or coaching in Pete Carroll's shadow as he's still in the building.

Plus, I suspect they had difficulty in assembling a staff. There was likely no Wade Phillips- Sean Mcvay partnership that would make the owners feel better about their hire.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

No one wants the Washington job. 

This is likely true, there are some places where taking the HC gig is detrimental to one’s career, Washington has been that place for some time now, granted there is new ownership and a good cap situation, but it is a complete unknown organization at this time, but someone will take the chance, and accept the pay check offered, 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dpberr said:

These young guys don't want to be the inaugural coach under a brand new owner in Washington or coaching in Pete Carroll's shadow as he's still in the building.

Plus, I suspect they had difficulty in assembling a staff. There was likely no Wade Phillips- Sean Mcvay partnership that would make the owners feel better about their hire.

I think there is truth to this...but there is also something to be said for loyalty.  Both Slowik and Johnson are experiencing their first OC positions.  Their HCs...Ryan and Campbell have put together winning cultures that haven't been part of those organizations for a long time.  Something is being built that is special and there is a lot to be said for being a big part of that.  Why jump that ship for an opportunity that may not be as rich or rewarding?  If they are both as good as they promise, there will be more opportunities when they are ready, more prepared and stand a better chance at success.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

What are Seattle and Washington going to do?

Maybe one is holding out for Spagnolia or the Commanders GM wants to add a former 49er he worked with. Tough call but am shocked Slowick to pair with Maye (presumably the 2nd overall pick).

There could be some great opportunities in 2025... Cleveland, Buffalo, Miami, Dallas, Phili, New Orleans, Denver, Pittsburgh, New York (A), New York (N).

I am even calling out Cincinnati and Baltimore as being possible.

Minnesota and Chicago could pull the plug.

There are 14 I listed.

In likelihood by ranking:

Probably:

Dallas, Philadelphia 

Likely:

Miami, New Orleans, New York (N), Cincinnati, Minnesota

Possible:

The rest.

14 hours ago, boyst said:

There could be some great opportunities in 2025... Cleveland, Buffalo, Miami, Dallas, Phili, New Orleans, Denver, Pittsburgh, New York (A), New York (N).

I am even calling out Cincinnati and Baltimore as being possible.

Minnesota and Chicago could pull the plug.

There are 14 I listed.

In likelihood by ranking:

Probably:

Dallas, Philadelphia 

Likely:

Miami, New Orleans, New York (N), Cincinnati, Minnesota

Possible:

The rest.

Every team that fires a head coach has problems in the organization.  Just because the Chargers have Justin Herbert doesn't mean its a GREAT opportunity.  Herbert has underperformed, is not much of a leader, the O line stinks, they have no running game to speak of, and their secondary is trash.  This is a team that gave up 63 pts to the Raiders.  So there are problems even there for Big bad Jim H to fix.  If things were running well Staley would still have a job. 

That being said, no way would I want to coach the Commanders.  The stadium is trash.  The roster is lousy.  And who is to say the new owner is really any better then the old owner.  He already owns the 76ers and the NJ Devils.  Who is the football guy that will run the front office?  A lot of uncertainty there.  And the football culture was good years ago w Joe Gibbs and George Allen.  That's a long time ago.  Maybe start by bringing their old name back.  It really wasn't that bad.  

As for the Seahawks job, I would be all over that.  The culture of the team, the Stadium, the fans.  Top notch.  A great place to make a name as a young coach.      

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

Dan Quinn is going to take the Washington job. I have no idea what is going to happen in Seattle. They should have kept Carroll.

Vrabel, Hoodie and Leslie.  They are available for meetings at your leisure.

17 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Every team that fires a head coach has problems in the organization.  Just because the Chargers have Justin Herbert doesn't mean its a GREAT opportunity.  Herbert has underperformed, is not much of a leader, the O line stinks, they have no running game to speak of, and their secondary is trash.  This is a team that gave up 63 pts to the Raiders.  So there are problems even there for Big bad Jim H to fix.  If things were running well Staley would still have a job. 

That being said, no way would I want to coach the Commanders.  The stadium is trash.  The roster is lousy.  And who is to say the new owner is really any better then the old owner.  He already owns the 76ers and the NJ Devils.  Who is the football guy that will run the front office?  A lot of uncertainty there.  And the football culture was good years ago w Joe Gibbs and George Allen.  That's a long time ago.  Maybe start by bringing their old name back.  It really wasn't that bad.  

As for the Seahawks job, I would be all over that.  The culture of the team, the Stadium, the fans.  Top notch.  A great place to make a name as a young coach.      

most of these coaches are egoists driven by the drive to succeed in all opportunities. this competitive drive does not always equal for the best decisions.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.