I guess Tyler Dunne was spot on...McD is too controlling and paranoid to work with...

eball

Just now, Gunsgoodtime said:

Since McDermott arrived different coaches has made the SB, how is he more successful than 98% of coaches in the NFL, much less sports?  To this point, with Josh Allen as QB he has underachieved.

Well, I figure 5-7 coaches get fired every year, plus 31 other currently employed coaches.  McDermott has more wins, playoff appearances, playoff wins, and divisions titles than any of them except Andy Reid since 2017.  And if not for Reid, he'd probably have a Super Bowl appearance or two.  So, to me that's successful, there's more to success than winning the Super Bowl.  But, agree to disagree I guess.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If you actually read his articles you'd know he had way more sources that. At least 20-25 including current Bills players on the roster.

I still don't understand why you would want to read crap.  But anyways, name the 20-25 players.  If you say "unnamed" I'm going to laugh harder than I already am.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Winning in the NFL - assuming the leaders even know what they are doing - is a game of inches on and off the field.

Terry Pegula pointing to Mahomes but not insisting on the pick… 

Playing soft D and making 13 seconds enough…

A failed fake punt, a dropped pass, a missed kick…

Right now Reid and Spagnola do everything in the center right AND win on the margins. 

It’s like playing my wife in cards: I always play her close, but somehow she plays her hands better when it counts and comes out on top.

Beane and McDermott are damn good, just not the best. And unfortunately we are seeing a Brady/Belichick level duo each year in the playoffs. 

I’m grateful for the run we are on, but they have better juice. Against Reid/Mahomes - in the context of going against the greats - McDermott is lacking and that’s a problem.

But realistically, what are we to do? I’m tempted to give Belichick a go, but that could be a disaster as well…

This is what people don't get and I alluded to in another thread. When you have the right head coach and star player combination (in this case QB in the NFL) there's basically no margin for error when competing with said teams on the biggest of stages.

And quite frankly what the Chiefs have done during this latest championship run is wait for the other guy to make a mistake and piss all over themselves which is exactly what happened to many formidable teams that played Brady and the Patriots all those years.

The bills likely have the right QB but they don't have the right head coach...but if winning division titles and bowing out in the playoffs early is your thing than by all means continue to celebrate it and that's exactly what Dunne pointed out in his latest piece as well.

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I still don't understand why you would want to read crap.  But anyways, name the 20-25 players.  If you say "unnamed" I'm going to laugh harder than I already am.

Why would he name them? That's how journalism works and he's not going to blatantly give up his sources, especially any current players, coaches, etc that are still employed by the bills organization.

I guess myself I understand the nuances of what Dunne's doing so I can appreciate a lot more and it hits differently than a lot of these other national media hacks who quiet frankly know very little about the Bills other than what they see on TV and read from local media.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

As someone who found a lot of what was in the Dunne piece to be illuminating and probably truthful...

Two things that have happened since have been kind of damning to that report:

The first was the Wink Martindale/Brian Daboll fallout. Whereas it looked like the rather public breakup of McDermott and Daboll was more on McDermott, seeing Daboll be unable to make it work with a second consecutive defensive mind makes one wonder. 

The second was the fact that, as the OP mentioned, two coveted young coordinators chose to stick around in Buffalo rather than go elsewhere, even though both garnered significant interest. Babich, in particular, was surprising, choosing to stick around under a defensive-minded head coach who may still continue to call plays rather than potentially spread his wings under an offensive minded guy.

Lastly, the way the team rallied around McDermott after the piece came out also sort of poked a bit of a hole in the "no one likes playing for this control freak" narrative. 

The more that time has gone on and the more that's happened, the less accurate Dunne's piece has looked. 

With all of that said, the Bills still lost in heartbreaking fashion in the Divisional round to the Kansas City Chiefs, and the major thesis of Dunne's piece was that McDermott tenses up in big moments and that the Bills need to move on from him to ever reach the Super Bowl, so.....he hasn't entirely been proven wrong thus far.

Good post. Regarding your last paragraph, I don't know how any can't look at the Mash unit that was out there playing defense to end our season, and conclude anything other than is why we lost. 

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

This is what people don't get and I alluded to in another thread. When you have the right head coach and star player combination (in this case QB in the NFL) there's basically no margin for error when competing with said teams on the biggest of stages.

And quite frankly what the Chiefs have done during this latest championship run is wait for the other guy to make a mistake and piss all over themselves which is exactly what happened to many formidable teams that played Brady and the Patriots all those years.

The bills likely have the right QB but they don't have the right head coach...but if winning division titles and bowing out in the playoffs early is your thing than by all means continue to celebrate it and that's exactly what Dunne pointed out in his latest piece as well.

Right. I don’t hate McDermott. On the one hand, he’s a very fine coach and we are lucky to have him. But he just isn’t good enough. That’s no a criticism of him, per se, it’s just putting him in the context of his most talented peers.

As a Bills fan I’m desperate for a SB win. And because of that, though I respect McD, I don’t care about his feelings and I’m ready to see something different while Josh is still in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JustHewIt said:

Well, I figure 5-7 coaches get fired every year, plus 31 other currently employed coaches.  McDermott has more wins, playoff appearances, playoff wins, and divisions titles than any of them except Andy Reid since 2017.  And if not for Reid, he'd probably have a Super Bowl appearance or two.  So, to me that's successful, there's more to success than winning the Super Bowl.  But, agree to disagree I guess.

Capture (2).jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Or, particularly in the case of Brady, he realized a year with Josh Allen ends in a head coaching job in a year if successful… while Atlanta maybe not so much 

Or...maybe ends in a not so successful head coaching job without Josh Allen....

Daboll has closed that pipeline.

30 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

🎵I'm not Daboll🎶

🎶My name is Brady🎵

🎵Daboll left you🎶

🎶Coupla years ago🎵

Wasn't worth starting a new thread. 🤔

No such thing as too many Tyler Dunne-bashing threads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Which part? I'm happy to discuss it. 

The part I quoted.

Nobody thinks getting knocked out of the playoffs in the second round is a "huge accomplishment" and nobody wants more of it.

It's just some bull#### strawman you create to try to make yourself feel superior to others.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Unfortunately I think the standards with the owner and half the fanbase are so low, that I’m not even sure another massive postseason disappointment gets McD Cannes. 

So he has to win to go here??🙂

image.png.79cceb24b136d5bf70a7956fe4e6731e.png

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

...as evidenced by Brady and Babich sticking around and accepting promotions to OC and DC despite significant interest around the league.

/sarcasm off

Sean is that you?🤣

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Simon said:

The part I quoted.

Nobody thinks getting knocked out of the playoffs in the second round is a "huge accomplishment" and nobody wants more of it.

It's just some bull#### strawman you create to try to make yourself feel superior to others.

It isn't. 

That's happened 3 years in a row and people want the man in charge of it back. McD's side of the ball has let us down in every single big game. The part of football that he was supposed to bring his proficiency in. He's also been a horrible in-game manager and has never put in the work to improve himself as one. He has gotten some world class performances from his QB in the playoffs, with really just 1 legitimate stinker in which his defense was also bad, and can never hold up his end of the bargain. He contributed heavily to the biggest meltdown in Bills history with 13 seconds. 

Yes, the standards are incredibly low to want this guy back. It's either people feel that these seasons have been huge accomplishments or they like him personally more than the team's possible success. If you consider it a disappointment when his side of the ball and Head Coaching duties have largely been responsible for those disappointments...why would you want him back? Especially when he hasn't exhibited any improvement as a coach or even an intention to improve as one? And if you don't consider it to be a disappointment...then isn't that the standard you see as being fit? And do you believe the team has gotten better with these constant early exits since the apex in 20-21? I think these are all fair questions that lead to that sentiment. 

33 minutes ago, Special K said:

So he has to win to go here??🙂

image.png.79cceb24b136d5bf70a7956fe4e6731e.png

Yes! Keep up this string of disappointments and he should be forced to sit through another year of Marvel movies. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It isn't. 

That's happened 3 years in a row and people want the man in charge of it back. McD's side of the ball has let us down in every single big game. The part of football that he was supposed to bring his proficiency in. He's also been a horrible in-game manager and has never put in the work to improve himself as one. He has gotten some world class performances from his QB in the playoffs, with really just 1 legitimate stinker in which his defense was also bad, and can never hold up his end of the bargain. He contributed heavily to the biggest meltdown in Bills history with 13 seconds. 

Yes, the standards are incredibly low to want this guy back. It's either people feel that these seasons have been huge accomplishments or they like him personally more than the team's possible success. If you consider it a disappointment when his side of the ball and Head Coaching duties have largely been responsible for those disappointments...why would you want him back? And if you don't consider it to be a disappointment...then isn't that the standard you see as being fit? I think that's a fair question. 

Or people just correctly realize that it could easily be a lot worse.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Or people just correctly realize that it could easily be a lot worse.

I think that is a standards thing though, the logic of "I'd rather have a Divisional Round appearance type of team than to take a risk to reach the next level, because we could be worse". And that's fine, but the standards part still rings true. But if you're happy with that, I think you do have the right coach leading this team for you. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

Babich was a hot candidate, and there can be an argument that it would be better for him to leave and coordinate for a team without a defensive head coach, but he chose to stay.

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or...maybe ends in a not so successful head coaching job without Josh Allen....

Daboll has closed that pipeline.

daboll closed the every offensive coordinator with an ounce of success gets big opportunities pipeline? 

there’s literally not a single oc in place from 2022. Either you grow or you get canned real fast currently 

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

With amazing sources like 'Lil Dirty, Doug Whaley and Quinton Spain, how could he have gone wrong? I mean its not like they were all butt hurt or anything, right?

Don’t forget Jim Monos, the former director of player personnel that McD canned and he had to start driving Ubers.

Thats a true story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Babich was a hot candidate, and there can be an argument that it would be better for him to leave and coordinate for a team without a defensive head coach, but he chose to stay.

I’d agree with that…

though you never know anyone’s individual drivers. Maybe he’s not comfortable with the jump, or he’s really comfortable in this nest. he’s never had the role so getting the title but staying in a sheltered environment could be an appealing half step forward instead of full.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.