Super Bowl LVIII: Niners Vs. Swifts

boyst

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Are they really kicking our butts? 

The games for all intents and purposes are essentially even every time we play them with multiple lead changes and a few plays here or there determining the winner and the game coming down to the final possession.

Unfortunately our victories have come in the regular season while theirs have come in the postseason.

To claim they are "kicking our butt" is not only not true, it borders on nonsensical.

We you lose you lose,  you don't get style points.  We can't beat them in the playoffs

20 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

McD is the master of the KC "dynasty."  Only he would have done that trade; then you have 13 seconds and the last Bills drive this year.  All preventable by one guy.  

I've never cared less about a Super Bowl.  

18 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

11 other teams skipped on Mahomes and Buffalo was willing to trade down obviously so other teams had their shot as well. Nobody knew he would become what he did. The real road block is this terrible post-season defense where Allen has to play an almost perfect game to beat the Chiefs. Ravens held them to 17 points yesterday so why can’t we with all the money spent on that side of the ball ? 

This narrative about Sean being at fault for trading down is wrong.  

Some Bills fans don't remember or never did know apparently, the circumstances heading into that draft.

Pegula hired Sean one Month or so before that draft.  He did not fire Doug Whaley the GM, but everyone knew he would be let go after the draft and new GM would be brought in.  McDermott is a defense side of the ball coach.  Not a QB whisperer or evaluator.  He was not going to pick a QB in that draft based off of an outgoing GMs scouting reports and without the input of whoever the new GM would be.  He wasn't qualified to make that evaluation on his own and decided to trade out of the pick, wait for a new GM and they could all get on the same page about a QB in 2018....with a whole year together to scout and evaluate and then make a pick.  McDermott did the prudent thing and made a trade for some extra ammo that a team needing to churn the roster etc...would need.  McDermott (and later Beane) came out of that as well as you possibly could under the circumstances.  They got a pro bowl Corner in Tre White and ended up with Allen the next year.  You can not make that trade, where Mahomes turns out to be awesome, but still come out of it any better than the Bills did.  At any rate...IF there is blame for this, it falls on Terry and Kim for handling the 2017 offseason in a wierd way, hiring a coach late, then keeping the GM onboard for the draft only.  McDermott did as well as he could.

The Bengals are the team that should be completely lambasted for choosing John Ross at 9...one pick before Mahomes.  The Bears...rightfully get some crap about taking Trubisky instead of Mahomes......and the 49ers...since they've done well...also should get pummeld but don't....they needed a QB that year and misevaluated....they took Solomon Thomas. The Browns were all set to take Mahomes at 12 if he fell that far.  They had 1/1 that year and also 12 overall.  They used 1/1 on Myles Garret.  Great player.  He isn't a QB.  Great DE's don't win titles.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

Some Bills fans don't remember or never did know apparently, the circumstances heading into that draft.

Pegula hired Sean one Month or so before that draft.  He did not fire Doug Whaley the GM, but everyone knew he would be let go after the draft and new GM would be brought in.  McDermott is a defense side of the ball coach.  Not a QB whisperer or evaluator.  He was not going to pick a QB in that draft based off of an outgoing GMs scouting reports and without the input of whoever the new GM would be.  He wasn't qualified to make that evaluation on his own and decided to trade out of the pick, wait for a new GM and they could all get on the same page about a QB in 2018....with a whole year together to scout and evaluate and then make a pick.  McDermott did the prudent thing and made a trade for some extra ammo that a team needing to churn the roster etc...would need.  McDermott (and later Beane) came out of that as well as you possibly could under the circumstances.  They got a pro bowl Corner in Tre White and ended up with Allen the next year.  You can not make that trade, where Mahomes turns out to be awesome, but still come out of it any better than the Bills did.  At any rate...IF there is blame for this, it falls on Terry and Kim for handling the 2017 offseason in a wierd way, hiring a coach late, then keeping the GM onboard for the draft only.  McDermott did as well as he could.

The Bengals are the team that should be completely lambasted for choosing John Ross at 9...one pick before Mahomes.  The Bears...rightfully get some crap about taking Trubisky instead of Mahomes......and the 49ers...since they've done well...also should get pummeld but don't....they needed a QB that year and misevaluated....they took Solomon Thomas. The Browns were all set to take Mahomes at 12 if he fell that far.  They had 1/1 that year and also 12 overall.  They used 1/1 on Myles Garret.  Great player.  He isn't a QB.  Great DE's don't win titles.  

the fact that others made mistakes does not therefore mean the Bills did not.  Look, I am beyond happy with Allen and prefer him to Mahomes, but taking a CB over a potential franchise QB is a huge mistake.  

IF the Chiefs win we're going to start getting into the Andy Reid GOAT talk. Here's where the GOAT scoreboard will stand: 

Age at start of 2024 season (next fall): Belichick 72, Reid 66

All time playoff wins in NFL HC history: Belichick (31), Reid (26) 

All time HC wins (regular season only): Shula 328, Halas 318, Belichick 302, Reid 258

Rings: Belichick 6, Reid 3 (as a HC, both have rings as assistants as well)

So, Belichick has a stronger case, even with a KC win, but the gap is narrowing. Plus, Reid will (hopefully, because I like him a lot more than Belichick) continue coaching for a handful more years whereas Bill might be done.

People forget, when Belichick was 65 (the age Reid is today) he also wasn't where he is now rings-wise or wins wise. 

Regular season HC wins: Belichick leads by 44. That's 4 typical seasons in KC and Reid will be ahead of him. If he coaches 6 more seasons he will have a shot at passing Shula for #1 overall. 

Super Bowl wins: Bill will probably always have this. I could see Reid getting to 4, but the AFC is too good for KC to just always make it (right?!). 

Coaching tree: Belichick's assistants have been a disaster as HC, except for Vrabel. Reid has a couple of SB winners (Harbaugh and Pederson) as well as fairly successful coaches like McDermott, Rivera, and even Bowles, whose team way overachieved this season. 

To sum up, ASSUMING 5 more years for Reid after this one, which would make him 1 year younger than Belichick is now:

Rings: advantage Bill (probably, but 6-3, or 6-4) 

All Time regular season wins: Andy, almost certainly

All time playoff wins: Andy, almost certainly (he'll need 5 to tie, so that's pretty realistic)

Coaching tree: Andy by a mile

Ability to adapt to today's game and players: Andy by a mile 

This will be a fun debate: Bill has the advantage in rings. 

Andy will have more regular season wins, more playoff wins, might be the #1 HC all-time in regular season and playoff wins, had over 60% winning percentage and 150+ wins before Mahomes ever played a down, won with 2 different teams, and has a coaching tree that consists of multiple successful and SB winning head coaches (including hopefully McDermott) 

Really, all anyone on the Belichick side will be able to say is "more rings." It's not nothing, but Andy will have him beat in every single other category. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Literally everything you are saying is one point of view of stories that are out there. There are other unconfirmed stories of the events surrounding the draft that year.

Thank you for your attempt to explain our team history to us, but unless you were there you don't know...you only know which set of unconfirmed stories you choose to believe. 

The Chiefs have revealed they will wear red jerseys for the Super Bowl:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-unveil-uniform-choice-for-2024-super-bowl-heres-why-the-49ers-might-be-thrilled-with-the-pick/

"Chiefs unveil uniform choice for 2024 Super Bowl: Here's why the 49ers might be thrilled with the pick"

"The Chiefs will almost certainly be wearing their white pants, and if that happens, you might have deja vu. If they go with that uniform combination, there's a good chance that both teams will be wearing the same exact combo that they wore back in Super Bowl LIV, a game where Kansas City beat San Francisco 31-20. 

"This will mark Kansas City's sixth trip to the NFL's biggest game and the fourth time they'll be wearing their red jersey. Here's how they've fared in each jersey color in the big game: 

Chiefs in red: 2-1 (Wins over Vikings in Super Bowl IV and 49ers in Super Bowl LIV; loss to Bucs in Super Bowl LV)
Chiefs in white: 1-1 (Win over Eagles last year, loss to Packers in the first Super Bowl)"

In last year's Super Bowl, the Chiefs beat the Eagles 38-35 while wearing white, which is notable, because the team wearing white has been on a HOT STREAK in the Super Bowl. Over the past 19 years, the team wearing white has gone 16-3, which is why the 49ers might be thrilled that they get to wear their road jersey. That being said, one of those three losses came in Super Bowl LIV when the 49ers were defeated by the Chiefs. 

This will be the 49ers eighth time in the NFL's biggest game and they have a winning record whether they wear their red jersey or white jersey. 

49ers in red: 3-1
49ers in white: 2-1 (Only loss came to Chiefs)

----------

Also: this thread should be pinned!

• Vomit 1

On 1/30/2024 at 7:37 AM, Big Turk said:

We can, we just haven't yet.

Your opinion right now,  they have not got it done and this was huge missed opportunity.  You would think your 20 mllion dollar receiver would be able to close the game out and he drops perfectly thrown pass and then Allen just ignores him on underneath pass on final drive

9 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t think the 49ers have much of a chance. Their defense has looked vulnerable in the playoffs, and you know Reid will take advantage of every weakness he’s seen. 

The Chiefs have the better coach, quarterback, and defense. Add in the fact they are highly confident coming off two big road wins and Kyle Shanahan usually turns into a pumpkin in huge games, and I would be very surprised if KC lost. How is San Francisco a 2 point favorite based off of what we've seen from both teams in the playoffs? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Your opinion right now,  they have not got it done and this was huge missed opportunity.  You would think your 20 mllion dollar receiver would be able to close the game out and he drops perfectly thrown pass and then Allen just ignores him on underneath pass on final drive

He didn't ignore him, he threw what would have been a TD pass to a wide open player in the end zone but had his LT pushed into his other shoulder which cause the throw to end up short of the target.

so there's still a large cross section of fans who think it's all coincidence... sure jan.

bet against ratings and merch for the 3rd week in a row and you deserve to lose all of that money.

they make taylor (and thus the nfl business) an underdog to simply take your money.

be better and keep believe the sport is a series of games and not a business based on tv ratings and ultimately entertainment.

the rest of us are still waiting to be back in the script with the W.

Edited by BillsfaninCT
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/29/2024 at 9:51 AM, Big Turk said:

Purdy is going to be exposed badly.

Kinda like how Cook was on the last 3 Bills drives?

San Fran wins. Somebody is scrutinized for a 4th down attemp that fails. Kelce and Kittle both score. Patrick tries to force one that is intercepted and Purdy kneels.

9 hours ago, BillsfaninCT said:

so there's still a large cross section of fans who think it's all coincidence... sure jan.

bet against ratings and merch for the 3rd week in a row and you deserve to lose all of that money.

they make taylor (and thus the nfl business) an underdog to simply take your money.

be better and keep believe the sport is a series of games and not a business based on tv ratings and ultimately entertainment.

the rest of us are still waiting to be back in the script with the W.

Cool story.  Show us the betting slips where you put your life savings on Kansas City for the fourth straight game since you know it's rigged.

8 hours ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Kinda like how Cook was on the last 3 Bills drives?

San Fran wins. Somebody is scrutinized for a 4th down attemp that fails. Kelce and Kittle both score. Patrick tries to force one that is intercepted and Purdy kneels.

I'm probably going to get killed for this opinion. Oh well, here it goes. I don't think Cook is our long term answer at rb. I think he is a little overrated by this board. I don't see him being here or the starter in three years. So go ahead and prove me wrong, because I really want to be. 

Edited by Westside
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Westside said:

I'm probably going to get killed for this opinion. Oh well, here it goes. I don't think Cook is our long term answer at rb. I think he is a little overrated by this board. I don't see him being here or the starter in three years. So go ahead and prove me wrong, because I really want to be. 

He hasn’t shown enough to be a second contract RB on a team paying a QB, imo. 

In fairness to him, the bar for that is high.  

His drops in the passing game are alarming and I’m not sure if his body is built for longevity. 

That being said, he’s very good with even more potential.  Give me a James Cook every 4 years in RD2. 

15 hours ago, Billl said:

Cool story.  Show us the betting slips where you put your life savings on Kansas City for the fourth straight game since you know it's rigged.

and just like that you took the bait, depending where the money goes before and during the game, with 2 mins to go the entire thing can change with 2 balls chucked into the turf....... you don't know, I don't know but that was a wild change in game plan, then the FG just gets a 20mph gust and hooks right?  you're tyler bass, in an elimination game, and you're gonna hit it to the right and gamble on wide right of all things?  that's insane, you gotta miss that left if you miss it.

former Tampa Bay Buccaneers S Dwight Smith in 2020, talking about the upcoming Chiefs vs. Bucs Super Bowl. In the 2003 Super Bowl, Smith was a big part of the unexpected 48-21 rout of the Oakland Raiders, led by Bill Callahan.  The game ain’t decided on the field. I played in the game. I set a Super Bowl record (two interceptions returned for touchdowns), and we knew every play they were running before the game even started.”

Smith, calling into a local sports talk radio show in 2020, was asked his prediction for the Mahomes-Brady bowl:

“So how do you see this one playing out?”

“It depends on how Vegas makes that call. You know, whatever makes them the most money.”

The show host pressed further.

“So you think that the Super Bowl, the one you were a part of, was illegitimate?”

Smith: “I think EVERY ONE is.”

This brings us to the hidden reveal in Dwight Smith’s courageous appearance on talk radio in 2020. What is he saying exactly? Well, he’s saying that the players are somewhat involved in this rigging of NFL games.

Recent players like Benny Cunningham, Larry Johnson, Junior Galette, and Chris Borland have all blown the whistle on signing non-disclosure agreements contractually obligating them to go along with the script. Raiders’ wide receivers Tim Brown and Jerry Rice called this out after the same 2003 Super Bowl:

Brown, a Hall of Famer, the Heisman Trophy winner, 6th overall pick in the draft, and number seven all-time in receiving yards, accused his higher-ups of sabotaging their chances: “Friday morning we get in and we have a brand new game plan. I have NEVER had a coach two days before a game change the game plan.”

The Raiders, facing their former coach Jon Gruden (not suspicious at all, just like this year’s Andy Reid Bowl), ran a smash-mouth run attack under Bill Callahan all season long. In Super Bowl XXXVII, Oakland came out throwing the ball all over the yard with Rich Gannon, a respectable but far from elite quarterback.

Jerry Rice agreed: “In a way, maybe because he didn’t like the Raiders, he decided, ‘Maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.”

All of a sudden it's time to gamble the entire game on 2 25yd passes that leave 1:50 on the clock for a defense that stopped less than 10% of the opponents drives.  based on the comments so far...... that was actually the plan but the previous 95% we not doin that.  well I guess instead of changing the game plan 2 days before, they're just changing it at the 2 min warning.

Edited by BillsfaninCT
  • Eyeroll 1

On 1/30/2024 at 10:43 AM, RyanC883 said:

the fact that others made mistakes does not therefore mean the Bills did not.  Look, I am beyond happy with Allen and prefer him to Mahomes, but taking a CB over a potential franchise QB is a huge mistake.  

nobody,  even the Chefs,  knew that Mahomes would become what he did.   he came from an air raid offense in college which nearly everybody in the NFL thinks is hot garbage, that inflates the stats of every QB that plays in it.  you put Mahomes on nearly every other team and he probably goes from sure fire HoFer to possibly a middling QB that does nothing.   its always about the right fit and situation.  im sure he put in the work to get himself to where he is,  but theres alot more to it than just him.   zero way to predict.   all these paid professionals are just throwing darts at a dart board just like the rest of us.  sometimes they get really lucky.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.