I contend that this team's problem isn't coaching, it's talent.

On 1/28/2024 at 3:50 PM, JGMcD2 said:

Agreed, but we also have not been picking in spots to grab top end talent. That’s part of it. 

So top end talent can only be found at the top of the draft?

thats such a bull#### answer. All defats and elite players are found in every round. 

buffalo either can’t draft those guys or can’t develope them. 

2 minutes ago, Strethor said:

This teams problem isn't talent or coaching, it's Mahomes being slightly better than Allen with 0 margin for error.

If Gabe, Bernard, Douglas, Benford and Milano were all healthy for the Chiefs game, who wins?

If you put Josh Allen on the Ravens, who wins?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Gabe, Bernard, Douglas, Benford and Milano were all healthy for the Chiefs game, who wins?

If you put Josh Allen on the Ravens, who wins?

To be far to @Strethor wouldn't that be consistent with no margin for error? Mahomes is slightly better and therefore for us to win we need everything to go our way and Josh to play great and not having half our starting defense plus our 2nd best receiver is enough to tilt that margin back the other way? 

I go as far as to say if the team that started that Miami game in week 18 all healthy had played and been properly healthy for the Kansas City game the Bills win. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To be far to @Strethor wouldn't that be consistent with no margin for error? Mahomes is slightly better and therefore for us to win we need everything to go our way and Josh to play great and not having half our starting defense plus our 2nd best receiver is enough to tilt that margin back the other way? 

I go as far as to say if the team that started that Miami game in week 18 all healthy had played and been properly healthy for the Kansas City game the Bills win. 

Is that really everything going our way though?

I'm certainly not an apologist for the fact we somehow always have an excuse for McDermott in the postseason, but... Mahomes had Josh Allen-like postseason adversity once... against Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl.  And got wrecked.

Against us, their offense was fully healthy, facing a decimated defense.  While we were missing our WR2 against an elite, mostly healthy, defense.   And to my actual suprise.. Gabe was missed.  

Baltimore forced 5 punts in the second half.  Lamar just couldn't do anything with it. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

complain all you want about injuries but yet KC only scored 27 points.....DLINE was fully healthy and did nothing.  Coaching again is the problem.  You can post your disagree emoji all you want but this team with different players makes it to the divisional game every year and once they play a real Playoff team coaching falls apart.  No creativity on defense, same vanilla defense with more blitz called, nothing else. 

Beane has built a solid roster and every GM misses on draft picks but the gamble on signing Von Miller has turned into the Wile E. Coyote explosion in your face move that is going to start hurting badly as good young players such as Epenesa will be lost because they can't afford them and also will limit what can be done in Free Agency.

Coaching - One game was lost with literally :00 on the clock because of 12 men on the field on what turned out to be a missed FG. Three games were lost after the Offense gave the team the lead with less than 2:00 on the clock because the DC couldn't put his players in a position to win.

Players - Yup, they're to blame too... Turnovers, Missed Tackles, Missed kicks, Penalties (especially at the worst times) Bad passes, Dropped passes etc ... are all on the players.

The Bills need to stop shooting themselves in the feet over and over, stop stealing defeat from the jaws of victory. The teams making the fewest mistakes are playing in the Super Bowl.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:38 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

If you had to ask me to choose whether to fire beane or McDermott, I choose beane. Why? While he's overall built a competitive roster, he's utterly failed at drafting gane-changing players. 

So its just easy to draft game-changing players when you draft in the late 20's pretty much every season?  And he has, you just don't want to acknowledge it.  

You know my position on some of his picks, but ask yourself honestly: would you rather have a Metcalf or an Oliver? Basham or Humphrey? AJE or Uche? I could go on, but beane seems to prefer a whole roster of average over high ceiling guys (oddly, with the exception of the QB).

We took Oliver 9th...Metcalf went end of 2nd round.  How are these two being compared?  And wow, is it easy to know who to pick when you have seen the future.  You should be a GM since you clearly knew who each stud was going to be in the 2nd round of drafts before they were picked. 

Also, this team lacks speed all over the field on both offense and defense, and I'd argue that the lack of speed on defense INJURIES is the most notable reason why this team has failed in the postseason.

You mean like our 2 fast LB's who were hurt for the KC game in Milano and Bernard and allwed KC to pick apart our defense through our LBs off the street all game?  LMAO...dont worry I fixed it for you.  Or maybe how our All Pro CB in Tre was hurt in the 2021 game hurting our ability to cover Hill?

Lastly, beane's cap management and free agent acquisitions have been suboptimal, and the cap issues are going to do us in this coming season, I get the feeling. So, if you're asking me who's holding the bag of failure, it's Brandon Beane.

Beane has literally been one of the best in the NFL at this over his tenure.  You clearly don't follow along with any other teams.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

The Rams drafted WR Puka Nacua in the 5th round. 

Lets not pretend that anyone had any idea who he was last draft.  Drafts all the time produce stars from little known players or players who are not highly regarded.  Mr. Irrelevant from last year is literally starting the Super Bowl.  And honestly, had the Bills drafted Puka he would have barely seen the field and probably finished with less than 15 catches this season where he instead got 15 targets in his first NFL game due to Rams injuries.  Opportunity is a major part of the equation.  Had Shakir been on the Rams instead of Puka this season and got the same targets, he would have had a big season too.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We took Oliver 9th...Metcalf went end of 2nd round.  How are these two being compared?  And wow, is it easy to know who to pick when you have seen the future.  You should be a GM since you clearly knew who each stud was going to be in the 2nd round of drafts before they were picked. 

To be fair, at the time, the OP wanted Metcalf instead at 9.  However, he has been in our ears about it ever since, albeit using different user names to better mask the crusade.

• Like (+1) 1

Going to have to wait and see how thing go throughout the off season. I wouldnt disagree that coaching needs to tighten up and they need an athletic freak of nature WR who lays out for everything and makes miracle contested one hand catches.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Is that really everything going our way though?

I'm certainly not an apologist for the fact we somehow always have an excuse for McDermott in the postseason, but... Mahomes had Josh Allen-like postseason adversity once... against Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl.  And got wrecked.

Against us, their offense was fully healthy, facing a decimated defense.  While we were missing our WR2 against an elite, mostly healthy, defense.   And to my actual suprise.. Gabe was missed.  

Baltimore forced 5 punts in the second half.  Lamar just couldn't do anything with it. 

Probably not everything no, but I do think he is right that the margin for error when you are playing Patrick Mahomes in the playoffs is thin. I wouldn't read too much into Baltimore stopping KC on Sunday. I think Reid and Mahomes knew that was a game where if they didn't turn it over 2nd half they wouldn't lose. When Baltimore needed to stop them the Chiefs immediately hit a play down the field. Not taking anything away from the Ravens defense, but Reid and Mahomes play that differently when they know a punt is going to #17. 

• Like (+1) 1

Whether the fans like it or not, the reality of the draft is that a huge component is luck.

Beane has shown he's a great GM. He has made the right moves many times over.

If you guys don't see that, you don't know what constitutes great GM work. Simple as that.

1 hour ago, Strethor said:

This teams problem isn't talent or coaching, it's Mahomes being slightly better than Allen with 0 margin for error.

I can get behind that…it sucks that this is now the 3rd playoff loss to them which you’d think would signal domination but the last two games have been extremely close and could’ve gone either way.  The chiefs haven’t turned in a dominant performance against the bills in years 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Beane has built a solid roster and every GM misses on draft picks but the gamble on signing Von Miller has turned into the Wile E. Coyote explosion in your face move that is going to start hurting badly as good young players such as Epenesa will be lost because they can't afford them and also will limit what can be done in Free Agency.

Coaching - One game was lost with literally :00 on the clock because of 12 men on the field on what turned out to be a missed FG. Three games were lost after the Offense gave the team the lead with less than 2:00 on the clock because the DC couldn't put his players in a position to win.

Players - Yup, they're to blame too... Turnovers, Missed Tackles, Missed kicks, Penalties (especially at the worst times) Bad passes, Dropped passes etc ... are all on the players.

The Bills need to stop shooting themselves in the feet over and over, stop stealing defeat from the jaws of victory. The teams making the fewest mistakes are playing in the Super Bowl.

Between Milano, Tre, and Von you had a lot of money tied up on the defense in players who were out or invisible.  And we lost by 3.  

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Between Milano, Tre, and Von you had a lot of money tied up on the defense in players who were out or invisible.  And we lost by 3.  

I honestly thought von looked pretty good in that game ironically enough lol hard to fault beane for Milano,  that’s a comfortable win if you replace Klein for Milano even if you allow the chiefs to bring back an injured player to match.  

tre/douglas is a positive point for beane id say…he went out and found a guy every bit as good as tre  that gave us a chance down the stretch 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.