I contend that this team's problem isn't coaching, it's talent.

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Spending a lot of cap money on two players - White and Miller - that aren't contributing is a serious problem. 

This isn't McD's fault.  You could say it's Beane's fault, especially with Von.  Paying that much money for a guy in his 30s was risky.  

Tre is just bad luck.  

And who do you think wanted Von? Mcd wanted Von for his defense! It's what allot of defensive minded hcs do..they take draft picks and FA money from their offense and invest disproportionately into the defense

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

And who do you think wanted Von? Mcd wanted Von for his defense! It's what allot of defensive minded hcs do..they take draft picks and FA money from their offense and invest disproportionately into the defense

If I was a coach, I'd want Von, too.  But signing players to sensible contracts is the GM's responsibility and I hold Beane accountable for both the good & bad that's come out of Von's signing.  

I was iffy about Von's signing when it happened.  It wasn't that I didn't like Von as a player.  I do.  But I worried about the opportunity cost.  Who else could we have signed with that $120 million?  We have so many needs and if we hadn't sent an armored car full of cash to Von, we could have signed some real contributors. 

Since the signing, the deal has only looked worse with Von's injury.  Injuries to players Von's age are hardly unusual and should have been expected.  

On 1/28/2024 at 3:03 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not to mention their defenses. 

I understand your statement now, by seeing its time stamp, which was earlier that the pont fest DET put on SFR, obviously before DET coaching had a series of brainfarts with game management... but yes! still a superior DEF to ours.

Edited by BuffaL0L0k0

These threads are hilarious. I'm as disappointed as anybody but reading this forum, you'd swear we were in the middle of the drought.

Our talent sucks, our GM is clueless, can't draft, wastes money in FA, our coaches are all incompetent, can't lead or make adjustments, etc. Yet every year, despite the incompetence of the entire organization, it's somehow a top 5 team. No, it's not all Josh. Believe it or not, it takes more than a QB.

It's not easy to hill climb VS a dynasty. You'd think people would have learned that from the last 20 years of Patriots dominance.

Everyone needs to do a better job. Coaches and front office. The hyperbolic 'everything sucks' criticism is totally over the top. The team needs incremental improvement in a couple areas and better luck.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Biggest problem BY FAR is McDermott.

Has Beane made a TON of mistakes? Absolutely.

You could make an argument for firing the guy based purely on the Knox and Miller deals...which are cap killers and both players contribute close to ZERO to the team.

The idea is to get nobodies who work for cheap who prove to be great impact players flying under the radar.

Drafting has been pretty terrible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe it is. I mean, the receiving corps and the DL ( supposedly talented areas of the roster) didn’t exactly get it done vs KC.

I wouldn’t say the WR position is talented. There have been a lot of talk on this board for since November last season. Shakir situation, leaning in to last year makes me shake my head. McKenzie was playing terrible and despite showing flashes this staff didn’t give him extra looks.  He might not had as good of camp as his rookie season this past year but they still put him behind Sherfield and Harty from the moment they arrived.  Just makes me wonder about how they judging talent. Wyatt Teller was a huge mistake years. 

1 hour ago, DrMaxPower said:

These threads are hilarious. I'm as disappointed as anybody but reading this forum, you'd swear we were in the middle of the drought.

Our talent sucks, our GM is clueless, can't draft, wastes money in FA, our coaches are all incompetent, can't lead or make adjustments, etc. Yet every year, despite the incompetence of the entire organization, it's somehow a top 5 team. No, it's not all Josh. Believe it or not, it takes more than a QB.

It's not easy to hill climb VS a dynasty. You'd think people would have learned that from the last 20 years of Patriots dominance.

Everyone needs to do a better job. Coaches and front office. The hyperbolic 'everything sucks' criticism is totally over the top. The team needs incremental improvement in a couple areas and better luck.

Thank you!

I had this very same thought yesterday. Watching the Chiefs win their 4th AFC Title in 5 years. Having gone to the AFC Championship game 6 years in a row. En route to possibly hoist 2 Lombardi's in a row, 3 of them in 5 years. 

Maybe it's not this player sucks, this coach sucks, this GM sucks, and/or we need to blow it all up. Maybe, just maybe the Chiefs are just that good.

Yes, it's frustrating to not slay that dragon. But it's not like we're the only one. We're just the team that gives them the most trouble. If we need to blow it up, then every team in the NFL does.

To beat them, we're going to have to be at our best on field and have our best players on the field.

We were down Matt Milano (perhaps the best true OLB in Football), Terrel Bernard, Gabe Davis, Christian Benford, Taylor Rapp, had a maybe 50% Rasul Douglas, a 3rd string MLB who was fresh off the couch (who rolled his ankle halfway through the game), and an already playing at less than 100% Tyrell Dodson who went down again at the beginning of the game and played through it because we didn't have a choice.

Maybe we still would have lost at full health. But against that dynasty, in the Playoffs where they're a different team? We're lucky it was as close as it was.

Tweak the roster. Hope for better health. But the sky is not falling. I know how disappointing it was how things ended. But many teams around the league would kill to be in the situation we're in that posters consider a total failure.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Thank you!

I had this very same thought yesterday. Watching the Chiefs win their 4th AFC Title in 5 years. Having gone to the AFC Championship game 6 years in a row. En route to possibly hoist 2 Lombardi's in a row, 3 of them in 5 years. 

Maybe it's not this player sucks, this coach sucks, this GM sucks, and/or we need to blow it all up. Maybe, just maybe the Chiefs are just that good.

Yes, it's frustrating to not slay that dragon. But it's not like we're the only one. We're just the team that gives them the most trouble. If we need to blow it up, then every team in the NFL does.

To beat them, we're going to have to be at our best on field and have our best players on the field.

We were down Matt Milano (perhaps the best true OLB in Football), Terrel Bernard, Gabe Davis, Christian Benford, Taylor Rapp, had a maybe 50% Rasul Douglas, a 3rd string MLB who was fresh off the couch (who rolled his ankle halfway through the game), and an already playing at less than 100% Tyrell Dodson who went down again at the beginning of the game and played through it because we didn't have a choice.

Maybe we still would have lost at full health. But against that dynasty, in the Playoffs where they're a different team? We're lucky it was as close as it was.

Tweak the roster. Hope for better health. But the sky is not falling. I know how disappointing it was how things ended. But many teams around the league would kill to be in the situation posters consider a total failure.

Yeah, let’s just cross our fingers and hope for the best. The injuries are excuses at this point.  ***** they know the Chiefs well enough to have a better game plan then they did. To be honest, was the D any worse then the 13 second game when they were at full strength. McD played scared and it started with him starting Klien because he’s better between the ears the Williams. 

Edited by BananaB

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Biggest problem BY FAR is McDermott.

Has Beane made a TON of mistakes? Absolutely.

You could make an argument for firing the guy based purely on the Knox and Miller deals...which are cap killers and both players contribute close to ZERO to the team.

The idea is to get nobodies who work for cheap who prove to be great impact players flying under the radar.

Drafting has been pretty terrible.

It'd be a pretty crappy argument that ignores the overall body of work.

You could make a better argument that this is the 2nd best team in the league. But sure, fire all the incompetent morons.

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

If I was a coach, I'd want Von, too.  But signing players to sensible contracts is the GM's responsibility and I hold Beane accountable for both the good & bad that's come out of Von's signing.  

I was iffy about Von's signing when it happened.  It wasn't that I didn't like Von as a player.  I do.  But I worried about the opportunity cost.  Who else could we have signed with that $120 million?  We have so many needs and if we hadn't sent an armored car full of cash to Von, we could have signed some real contributors. 

Since the signing, the deal has only looked worse with Von's injury.  Injuries to players Von's age are hardly unusual and should have been expected.  

Hmm an aged von or hopkins,aj brown,Mike evans hell for what they gave von even devante adams....nah if I'm coach I understand we have a top 3 qb and in today's nfl with the rules favoring offense I would build the most stacked offensive roster I could 

Edited by Billever76

On 1/28/2024 at 2:38 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

If you had to ask me to choose whether to fire beane or McDermott, I choose beane. Why? While he's overall built a competitive roster, he's utterly failed at drafting gane-changing players. 

You know my position on some of his picks, but ask yourself honestly: would you rather have a Metcalf or an Oliver? Basham or Humphrey? AJE or Uche? I could go on, but beane seems to prefer a whole roster of average over high ceiling guys (oddly, with the exception of the QB).

Also, this team lacks speed all over the field on both offense and defense, and I'd argue that the lack of speed on defense is the most notable reason why this team has failed in the postseason.

Lastly, beane's cap management and free agent acquisitions have been suboptimal, and the cap issues are going to do us in this coming season, I get the feeling. So, if you're asking me who's holding the bag of failure, it's Brandon Beane.

Go home, your drunk.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:48 PM, GunnerBill said:

Oliver. 

But otherwise I agree with your assessment of the major issue. Coaching isn't perfect. But we have lots of good players and not enough real top end talent. 

Chris simms has been saying this for years now!!! 

On 1/28/2024 at 12:53 PM, Dr. Who said:

I think McD gets tight in big games, and that carries over to his team. I also would prefer not to be changing OC every 2 or 3 years, and that will happen whether the Bills have success or not. If it's not working, they will change, and if it is successful, your OC is going to be a HC somewhere. But I don't think McD is incapable of winning. How he wins is by having a dominant offensive juggernaut. He doesn't have a defense that shows up and stops a good offense in the post-season. He's more aggressive than Frazier, but it's a similar problem. We also don't have a big play superstar on D. Von Miller was supposed to be that guy, but injury and age derailed the plan; the gamble didn't pay off.

Josh Allen is a once in a lifetime gift. It's really absurd that they can't seem to figure out how much of a gift. They need to get him the best possible weapons, and that needs to be priority 1 and priority 2. And then keep building up the oline, but DT and S, which are genuine needs, are probably in the forefront of their careful souls.

Know how to stop an OC carousel — an offensive HC

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Ok, so we know Wood is an agent of OBD now. If he’s saying this, you can bet that’s the prevailing notion behind the scenes 

Ok - but what of the fact that many of us have been saying for three years what is now the “prevailing notion” at OBD?  Is that a talent issue or a front office issue?  

I know the Bills have cap concerns and Beane would have to get creative, but could this be a realistic goal.

PFF Fantasy & Betting on X: "Michael Pittman Jr the last 3 seasons: 🔹 413 targets 🔹 15 drops Who should sign the free-agent WR? 👀 https://t.co/sQJCt3higw" / X (twitter.com)

Only 27 but what would he cost. Would definitely help our WR corps.

16 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Defense shortcommings due to lack of talent are why the Bills gave been knocked out of the playoffs the last 4 years.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Ok - but what of the fact that many of us have been saying for three years what is now the “prevailing notion” at OBD?  Is that a talent issue or a front office issue?  

I’ve been trying to figure out a better way to elaborate on this, but my theory is that the FO is still riding the high of 2019-2020 when they got absurd production out of low end free agent signings in Beasley and Brown and Sanders. They believe too much in what they have already and don’t want to spend a ton. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.