2024 WR Draft Class

33 minutes ago, JMM said:

So...Xavier Worthy. His speed is tantalizing,  and his production was very good against big boy competition.  Of course the question is size. He seems comparable to Devonta Smith. Remember all the questions about his size and durability when he came out. What do people think about Worthy as compared to Smith? Would he be worth the risk at 28? The thought of what he could do on bombs from Josh...

Imo while Smith has produced and can play in the league....his light weight is definitely a concern and a hindrance at times. Bottom line: a high end #2 is the ceiling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Was trying to find some stats regarding separation and stumbled on Hayden Hatten from Idaho projected in 7th or udfa.  Any of the resident draftniks watched him?  

Stats wise he was uber productive over 2 years albeit against fcs competition.  Played outside more than 66% of the time and has some good size at 6'2 215 (not combine so maybe inflated).

Seems like a decent guy to throw one of those late picks at.

49 minutes ago, section122 said:

Was trying to find some stats regarding separation and stumbled on Hayden Hatten from Idaho projected in 7th or udfa.  Any of the resident draftniks watched him?  

Stats wise he was uber productive over 2 years albeit against fcs competition.  Played outside more than 66% of the time and has some good size at 6'2 215 (not combine so maybe inflated).

I don't know anything about him, but Cornelius Johnson, the Michigan WR is the fella I'd like to pick up late.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, section122 said:

I haven't found any All 22 film from Idaho but his metrics definitely stand out (granted, as you said, it's against lower competition). He's definitely someone I'd like to get to see at some point.

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

So now this along with “explosive plays”  

what WR’s are the most versatile in this class? 

For where we are picking? 🤔

On 3/23/2024 at 7:27 AM, HappyDays said:

A lot of the talk around Coleman reminds me of the talk around Josh Allen before his draft. It isn't people watching him play and then criticizing him, it's people throwing around opaque stats without context and counting that as scouting (not saying you are doing this). Stats have their place in the discussion but when people say stuff like "he has one of the lowest contested catch rate in the class" that tells me there is something inherently wrong with that stat, not with Coleman. Everybody who watches his tape agrees he is a contested catch monster. As far as separation from his defender that is never going to be his top tier skill, but boxing out defenders and separating at the catch point is arguably just as valuable, and there is more upside to his route running than many people give him credit for IMO.

So I posted this waaaayyyy back in the thread, but with all the talk about Coleman here it seems relevant 

On 2/29/2024 at 6:24 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

So I don't watch College Football... like at ALL!!!

That said, I just watched YouTube highlights :lol: of Brian Thomas Jr., Keon Coleman, Troy Franklin and Malachi Corely. 

They're highlights and I understand what that means.

That said, in watching those highlights, the players I most want to see in Buffalo because I believe they are the modern NFL are, in this order:

1) Keon Coleman 

T-2 Malachi Corley 

T-2 Troy Franklin 

4) Brian Thomas Jr.

Coleman, to me, is a step above Franklin and Corley just from watching the highlights. In reading scouting reports of him, I thought he'd be a big slug who couldn't separate. Doesn't look that way to me. Dude is elusive and even returned punts in college.

I honestly only watched Corley because of the recent buzz and the fact that in Kiper's latest "First Draft" podcast, he said Corley was the guy he really wanted to put in the 1st round. I see why. Dude's a BEAST!!! My only issue with drafting him is I wonder if it maximizes his skillset playing with Josh ...

Which is actually why Corley and Franklin tied to me. I think Franklin is PERFECT in terms of this offense and what it needs outside of Diggs and Shakir.

I am impressed with Brian Thomas Jr's speed and downfield tracking... but that was like all I saw from him. I also understand that playing with Nabers he always got the opponent's #2 corner. So is he just a one trick pony up against inferior competition or is he really that good with the full route tree in his back pocket... just never needed it????

I think Coleman is pretty impressive. Would be ecstatic getting him in the 2nd, but wouldn't be so surprised seeing him at 28

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So I posted this waaaayyyy back in the thread, but with all the talk about Coleman here it seems relevant 

I think Coleman is pretty impressive. Would be ecstatic getting him in the 2nd, but wouldn't be so surprised seeing him at 28

The problem with not watching games, only highlights, is that a guy like Keon Coleman shines in highlights. You don’t see his lack of separation. He’s not in my top 10 (and maybe not top 15) targets for the Bills for that reason.

Listening to Beane talk about receivers, it sounded like Ladd McConkey to me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The problem with not watching games, only highlights, is that a guy like Keon Coleman shines in highlights. You don’t see his lack of separation. He’s not in my top 10 (and maybe not top 15) targets for the Bills for that reason.

Yeah brother. That’s where I’m at with both of those FSU guys. 

The same guy is who I’m thinking too. Wouldn’t hate it as he’s not the prototypical big bodied dominant receiver but the kid is a gamer. His best year however was when Burton transferred to Alabama and Mitchell to Texas. Not saying that year was pedestrian but he wasn’t exactly dominant as the number 1 WR for Bennett.

Either way, he has tremendous value to move around the field and like you said, for where we are picking it sounds like he’s the guy who fits what Beane was highlighting regarding the position. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

"Does their skillet offset what is already on the roster?" is what's most important here in what they view in terms of versatility, in my opinion.

In Diggs, you have a primarily Outside WR that you can move around.

In Kincaid, you have a guy that you primarily use as a Big Slot that you also put on the line as a TE a good percentage of the time.

In Shakir, you have a pure Slot. People like to try and project him on the Outside. But when we lined him up there at times last season when Davis went down, it didn't yield the results he got in the Slot.

In Samuel, you have a guy who works mainly from the Slot, but is a tweener. 53.3% from the Slot under Brady in 2020, 68.7% from the Slot last season.

In wanting versatility, I think it still sways more towards an Outside WR that has versatility like Diggs rather than a versatile player that is viewed as a 50% or more from the Slot in the NFL type of guy. We're absolutely loaded with those type of guys right now and it "offsets" them.

Guys like McConkey, Corley, Wilson, and Pearsall sway more (and with some WAY more) towards the Slot than Outside, in terms of their versatility. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I'm an UGA fan. Ladd McConkey is my favorite player in the draft, though I pretty much think a lot of UGA players in this draft are going to be good. But he's not the X I have imagined as a target. All the same, I'm buying his jersey if he's the pick.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

"Does their skillet offset what is already on the roster?" is what's most important here in what they view in terms of versatility, in my opinion.

In Kincaid, you have a guy that you primarily use as a Big Slot that you also put on the line as a TE a good percentage of the time.

In Shakir, you have a pure Slot. People like to try and project him on the Outside. But when we lined him up there at times last season when Davis went down, it didn't yield the results he got in the Slot.

In Samuel, you have a guy who works mainly from the Slot, but is a tweener. 53.3% from the Slot under Brady in 2020, 68.7% from the Slot last season.

In wanting versatility, I think it still sways more towards an Outside WR that has versatility like Diggs rather than a versatile player that is viewed as a 50% or more from the Slot in the NFL type of guy. We're absolutely loaded with those type of guys right now and it "offsets" them.

Guys like McConkey, Corley, Wilson, and Pearsall sway more (and with some WAY more) towards the Slot than Outside, in terms of their versatility. 

In college, at least, McConkey lined up on the outside 70% of the time. You can speculate he can't pull that off in the pros, but on the basis of his tape, he's not primarily a slot.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Its opinions yes as you say,,, around something he said which is  vague and thus can be interpreted in a lot of ways … particularly if you want to give greater weighting on one thing he said over another …

I find it’s a kinda pointless exercise to speculate on anyway … it’s going to all depend on who is available at 28  … 

I know you don’t see it .. but I’m starting to think he is going to go D line at 28 ..and take a WR in the second … probably trading up from 60

This is subject to Thomas Jr being gone …

• Like (+1) 1