Who are your top 10 QBs in the league

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree that tiers are a good way to do it, but couple issues in your tiers.

Lawrence is the most over rated player in the NFL, he just isn't that good and you have guys better than him ranked with or below him.  Tua, Purdy, and Stroud all better than him.

Stroud is already better than the guys you have him in tier with and he is a tier too low.

Purdy is better than he gets credit for and he is 2 tiers too low.  

Tier 1 - Mahomes, Josh, Lamar, Burrow

Tier 2 - Herbert,, Purdy, Dak, Stroud, Stafford

Tier 3 - Tua, Hurts, Rodgers (can't drop him too low until we actually see him fall off a cliff...he might still be Tier 1 or 2 when he plays again even)

Tier 4 - Love, Cousins, Lawrence, Baker

Tier 5 - Everyone else and below.

To answer the OP question:  Top 10 for me is:

1. Mahomes
  2. Allen
  3. Burrow
  4. Lamar
  5. Herbert
  6. Stafford
  7. Stroud
  8. Purdy
  9. Dak
  10. Tua

Stroud and Purdy have limited sample sizes, but I am basing this on who was top 10 this season, not top 10 careers.  And Purdy led the NFL in a lot of passing categories and Stroud really had a pretty sensational rookie season.  To be honest, I almost moved Stafford to 8 to so I could move both Stroud and Purdy one spot higher each.  

A case can be made to move both Dak and Tua up based on stats, but those stats lose value for me when you weigh how much better their stats were at home when facing bad defenses and teams compared to winning teams and/or on the road.  These guys just don't get it done or put the stats up unless the matchup conditions  are easy, so those year end totals on stats become less impressive for me.  The guys ahead of them have all shown they can beat good teams too, not just the bad ones.  

I think you are slightly too high on Purdy and way too low on Love. Otherwise I agree.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you are slightly too high on Purdy and way too low on Love. Otherwise I agree.

You are right, I do agree with you about Love.  I didn’t even realize I ranked him as low as I did.  Love should be in the next tier with Tua and company.  I’m gonna make the edit now.

Based in the rest of your comment, if I move Love to tier 3 I am assuming the only difference with your list is you probably swap Purdy with Love making Purdy tier 3 and Love tier 2.

With my wife being a hard core Niners fan, I watched every game.  And I think Purdy makes a lot more wow throws than people realize.  His 9.8 ypa is just insane too.  

So for me, I just can’t bring Purdy down a tier at this time.  I get he had a couple struggle games, but so did every QB on the list and Purdy is still in his first full year.  His ranking for me is fluid given his sample size is still small, just can’t ignore how impressed I was with him the majority of the time and the kind of dimes he was throwing most the season.

But also get it if someone isn’t ready to elevate to tier 2 yet.  

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You are right, I do agree with you about Love.  I didn’t even realize I ranked him as low as I did.  Love should be in the next tier with Tua and company.  I’m gonna make the edit now.

Based in the rest of your comment, if I move Love to tier 3 I am assuming the only difference with your list is you probably swap Purdy with Love making Purdy tier 3 and Love tier 2.

With my wife being a hard core Niners fan, I watched every game.  And I think Purdy makes a lot more wow throws than people realize.  His 9.8 ypa is just insane too.  

So for me, I just can’t bring Purdy down a tier at this time.  I get he had a couple struggle games, but so did every QB on the list and Purdy is still in his first full year.  His ranking for me is fluid given his sample size is still small, just can’t ignore how impressed I was with him the majority of the time and the kind of dimes he was throwing most the season.

But also get it if someone isn’t ready to elevate to tier 2 yet.  

Yea I'd have Love 2 and Purdy 3. 

If you said you can take any QB from the NFC to start a franchise with today who you taking it is Jordan Love and I am not even pausing before I answer.

Otherwise your tiers are pretty much where I am

On 1/26/2024 at 4:48 PM, SCBills said:

Taron Johnson. 

Yes, Shakir stepped up.  He’s in Year 2.  Hopefully I can FINALLY add another name to the list, outside Josh Allen, that step up in the postseason.  

Nah, we just lost 10 yards and the down because Kincaid had to save him. 

I'd say Shakir stepped up in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, SaulGoodman said:

In a game last year, Mahomes had 509 yds and accounted for all but 14 of the team’s yards. He won the AFC title game with Skyy Moore, MVS and a practice squad WR. Had one of his best games without Kelce or Hill vs a pretty good Pitt D a few years ago (top receivers were Pringle, Darrel Williams, Derrick Gore and Hardman). Beat Denver on the road in his first career start, surrounded by scrub backups. And he’s rarely been supported by good defense. Even last week, his defense failed most of the night. 

To say he can’t carry a team is crazy. 

I didn't say he can't.  He's not asked to nearly as much as Allen.

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I'd have Love 2 and Purdy 3. 

If you said you can take any QB from the NFC to start a franchise with today who you taking it is Jordan Love and I am not even pausing before I answer.

Otherwise your tiers are pretty much where I am

I get that, I’m not as sold on Love or Purdy enough yet to truly define who I would take, but Love obviously makes a lot of sense given the physical abilities.  

Then again, 2 of the GOATS were not as physically gifted as many of their piers in Montana and Brady.  

I do think neither team would trade for the other QB and both teams are better having the guy they do have.  

On 1/24/2024 at 5:08 PM, chongli said:

1. Mahomes

2. Jackson

3. Burrow

4. Allen

5. Rodgers

6. Herbert

7. Hurts

8. Stroud

9. Love

10. (tie) Prescott, Lawrence, Stafford

I officially switch places for Lamar and Josh.

• Haha (+1) 1

Tier S - Mahomes
Tier A - Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Stroud
Tier B - Hurts, Purdy, Stafford, Prescott, Tua,

After that it doesn't really matter. There are some players that have had good seasons like Goff, Love, Mayfield, etc but they would probbaly take anyone above them if they could.

9 minutes ago, Fetou said:

The amount of people putting Lamar Jackson in front of Burrow is mind blowing.

I'm honestly not sure I even put him in the Top 10 at this stage of his career.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Tier S - Mahomes
Tier A - Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Stroud
Tier B - Hurts, Purdy, Stafford, Prescott, Tua,

After that it doesn't really matter. There are some players that have had good seasons like Goff, Love, Mayfield, etc but they would probbaly take anyone above them if they could.

I think you have to split burrow and allen into a Tier A+, and Jackson and Stroud can sit in A.  Stroud had a great year, but let's see how his sophomore year goes, and Jackson is just simply not a "take over the game" type talent.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I'm honestly not sure I even put him in the Top 10 at this stage of his career.

I was surprised at how ineffective he was running the ball today. That run he had early on a 4th and 1, the 1st or 2nd year Lamar Jackson would have broken it for a TD. I knew he would hit the wall eventually but he's only 27... If he has lost that magical ability, I don't know if his passing is good enough to win a Super Bowl. Not as long as he's got #17 and #15 standing in his way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I was surprised at how ineffective he was running the ball today. That run he had early on a 4th and 1, the 1st or 2nd year Lamar Jackson would have broken it for a TD. I knew he would hit the wall eventually but he's only 27... If he has lost that magical ability, I don't know if his passing is good enough to win a Super Bowl. Not as long as he's got #17 and #15 standing in his way.

That's right about the age when those legs start losing that otherworldly jump.

If he can't learn to win from the pocket real soon, he's going to be an afterthought in the great NFL QB conversations.

S Tier: Mahomes

A Tier: Allen, Burrow

B Tier: Stroud, Lamar, Hurts

C Tier: Love, Dak, Goff, Herbert, Cousins, Purdy

Non ranked: Rodgers

Heres how I look at it: Mahomes is the best QB on football right now with the best pedigree. A Tier: only 2 QBs in the league where if you go against the Chiefs in the playoffs there isn't a huge drop off. B Tier: all have had different degrees of success but have a big glaring question. For Stroud: great rookie year but struggled against elite defenses. Lamar: great regular season success but playoff underperformer. Hurts: Amazing last year but struggled at times this year. Tier C: QBs that you can win with but the team around them has to be stacked. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

Stafford

Stroud

Herbert

Hurts

Jackson

Love

Dak

I like this one, but I think I'd try to find a way to squeeze Goff in there somehow.

He's been really, really good

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.