I feel optimistic moving forward

I may be overly optimistic. I may be a fool. I do believe the Bills as they transition to the second stage of Josh Allen's career are not going to see the drop off and chaos that other teams deal with when having to release players due to pricing themselves out of the salary cap.

My reasoning is I think the Bills and more importantly Brandon Beane discovered something this year observing the team and the NFL as a whole. 

The Bills have definitely shown a greater focus towards adding talent to the defense and it has come at the expense of the offense. As we see a lot of the veteran defensive players age out and move on, it sets up a unique opportunity for the Bills to shift more cap towards offensive weapons. 

I think at the very least this season we saw McDermott show he can do more with a lot less talent on defense. (I am aware a lot of you want him gone. I don't think he is going anywhere) Under Beane we saw numerous drafts where we spent high end picks on the defense and tried to make do with players drafted in the later rounds on the offense. 

Beane must realize after witnessing the poor play of our outside receivers that this team isn't going too far unless they add legit top end talent to the offensive side of the ball. He has a phenomenal start with Cook, Kincaid, Shakir an offensive line that should be together another 5 seasons. Minus Morse. 

Find guys later in the draft that McDermott can turn into capable starters on the defensive side of the ball. Start giving Josh outside weapons and guys who put pressure on the secondary and beat zone consistently on all three levels and man coverage. 

The future isn't shot. The Bills haven't come close to maximizing Josh's talent on offense. For all the money we have poured into the defense it still hasn't come close to having key stops when we have needed it in the playoffs. 

Let's just build a juggernaut on offense instead of a Josh Allen Superman show on offense.

Offense wins in this league. Not surprising Mahomes best seasons were with Hill and a younger Kelce. That Lamar is having his best year when the Ravens went and got him reciever talent. That Burrow has been the only QB to beat Mahomes with insane reciever talent. To win you need a top flight QB and a great cast of reciever talent around him. Bills have never surrounded Josh with top reciever talent outside Diggs. Time to get on that. Starting this off season. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Beane has his hands full this offseason.  Aging defense and an overall below average WR group under contract.  

I think the Bills need to get the defense to a point where they are chaotic and scheme to get a turnover and a few stops. The idea of shutting a team down with superior talent hasn't worked. Bills need to add talent on the offense and start unleashing Allen's full potential.

6 minutes ago, stuvian said:

How do the Rams find guys like Nacua and Kupp?

While not int the neighborhood of those guys I think Shakir is a terrific find.

This is kinda my point as well. The Bills seem to be the opposite of the Rams where they can find diamonds in the later rounds defensively that scheme fit. Heck they can even sign mid/low tier free agents who scheme fit well on the defense. 

So why are we wasting top end picks on the defense and cap space on the defense when its obvious that those should be used on offense? 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

I may be overly optimistic. I may be a fool. I do believe the Bills as they transition to the second stage of Josh Allen's career are not going to see the drop off and chaos that other teams deal with when having to release players due to pricing themselves out of the salary cap.

My reasoning is I think the Bills and more importantly Brandon Beane discovered something this year observing the team and the NFL as a whole. 

The Bills have definitely shown a greater focus towards adding talent to the defense and it has come at the expense of the offense. As we see a lot of the veteran defensive players age out and move on, it sets up a unique opportunity for the Bills to shift more cap towards offensive weapons. 

I think at the very least this season we saw McDermott show he can do more with a lot less talent on defense. (I am aware a lot of you want him gone. I don't think he is going anywhere) Under Beane we saw numerous drafts where we spent high end picks on the defense and tried to make do with players drafted in the later rounds on the offense. 

Beane must realize after witnessing the poor play of our outside receivers that this team isn't going too far unless they add legit top end talent to the offensive side of the ball. He has a phenomenal start with Cook, Kincaid, Shakir an offensive line that should be together another 5 seasons. Minus Morse. 

Find guys later in the draft that McDermott can turn into capable starters on the defensive side of the ball. Start giving Josh outside weapons and guys who put pressure on the secondary and beat zone consistently on all three levels and man coverage. 

The future isn't shot. The Bills haven't come close to maximizing Josh's talent on offense. For all the money we have poured into the defense it still hasn't come close to having key stops when we have needed it in the playoffs. 

Let's just build a juggernaut on offense instead of a Josh Allen Superman show on offense.

Offense wins in this league. Not surprising Mahomes best seasons were with Hill and a younger Kelce. That Lamar is having his best year when the Ravens went and got him reciever talent. That Burrow has been the only QB to beat Mahomes with insane reciever talent. To win you need a top flight QB and a great cast of reciever talent around him. Bills have never surrounded Josh with top reciever talent outside Diggs. Time to get on that. Starting this off season. 

Excellent post.  As hard as it was to watch the Bills lose last night, that game left me with a lot of hope moving forward for just the reasons that you note in your post.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Beane has his hands full this offseason.  Aging defense and an overall below average WR group under contract.  

But the starting O-Line is intact, and that's the job if it was easy everyone would be a wizard.

We'll be a good team next year - possibly as good.  If we can stay just a little healthier, I'll feel good about our chances.

We lost on a couple of plays yesterday. That's how it goes.  It doesn't mean we're all of a sudden not a contender.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I like the thought process behind this post, but I just don't see McDermott ever getting over the hump. I'd go as far to say that his overall personality and temperament is a hindrance. His teams routinely get tight in big moments, and that's a reflection on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Idk how there Is any optimism and hope guys

it’s wild they can’t beat the chiefs even at home In the playoffs 

not Allen for sure - have to look mo further than coach

He can’t win it….

You don’t think there’s any reason for any optimism?? 

34 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

I've been saying this for 3 years.  Draft wr in first.  Sign someone...whatever.  hang 30+ a game and let them try and keep up

The cap isn't as bad as many are making it out to be.  Beane knocked it out of the park this draft, although Dorian Williams had some struggles.

A solid offensive draft, a little cap restructuring, and the Bills will be very competitive. Joe Brady will get the chance to implement his system as well. 

It's the HC holding them back, honestly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

The cap isn't as bad as many are making it out to be.  Beane knocked it out of the park this draft, although Dorian Williams had some struggles.

A solid offensive draft, a little cap restructuring, and the Bills will be very competitive. Joe Brady will get the chance to implement his system as well. 

It's the HC holding them back, honestly. 

I would say even if we're essentially punting next year and bringing McD back that we should do some due diligence and interview other possible OC's to see if someone better is out there than Brady...but I don't even now if McD knows how to evaluate that. 

We're already looking at probably another ST coordinator firing and he has no DC left. His history with coordinators has not been pretty. 

I would hire a replacement for Leslie Frazier and let McDermott be head coach.  He needs another point of view of the field especially in critical conditions.  I would also invest heavily in the offense.  In the Chiefs game, we saw you get get pretty far with virtually no linebackers.  Next year our linebackers will be healthy and you can always draft them.

We should be optimistic.

On offense, we have a great QB in his prime, a very good OL with some excellent young players, and an excellent RB. Shakir is an emerging No. 3 and Kincaid is an emerging top pass-catching TE.  

On defense, we have good to excellent starters at most positions.  Oliver and Rousseau are anchors of the D Line.  We have better depth at LB than ever in Milano, Benard, Dodson, Williams, and Spector.  We also have two good starting CBs in Benford and Douglas and possibly the best nickel back in the NFL in Taron Johnson.

We also have under contract two aging but quality players in Diggs (WR) and Poyer (S).   Depending on how Beane handles the cap, both should be back next season.

This is a great base to work with that needs a starter at WR, a starter at S plus added depth in the D backfield, D Line, and WR.

I'd also like to bring Floyd and DaQuan Jones back on the DLine for good depth.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.