Key notes from players on locker room cleaning day (here is what you need to know)

Einstein

50 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

No to Brady.  The guy showed again yesterday, he can't make 2nd half adjustments. Get someone in here with something other than what we have been doing and get Josh some damn weapons already.

Did we watch the same game? yes, they had two 3 and outs. But the offense was very much clicking going into the 2 minute warning. After that, it was Allen gunning it to Shakir for a killshot rather than taking the easy check down to Diggs. Allen rolling right and not seeing the open guys (they highlighted it in the broadcast) and then a missed FG. I can't blame Brady for that, especially after creaming the Chiefs on TOP.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

Has to be let go with his cap hit. Idk how it works with injury maybe injury settlement. But you can’t keep him at that number with his injuries. 

Depending on how his medicals look, I'd offer him something like a 3yr/$18M with $10M guaranteed. Might be worth bringing him back as a $6M guy who can be easily cut. Definitely not at his current $16M price tho.

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Probably depends on his recovery. If he will be good to go for TC, they likely experiment with our top 3 CBs and some holes at safety. 

He cant come back at his current contract tho. No matter how well he recovers, he simply wont be worth anywhere near $16M.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

What do the Bills do with Tre'Davious White?

That's a real question that doesn't have a great answer.

Now, Aaron Rodgers and his sports doctors will disagree with me but from my knowledge around the league Achillies is a long painful rehab to come back from. Rodgers at least has the excuse that he can be a statue in the pocket and sling it, Tre needs some measure of speed. 

Even if Tre is back and ready Week 1 (which sounds like a very generous timeline) I doubt he would ever have the same speed which means you are paying CB1 money for another Douglas or Benford (or worse play).

Complicating matters is that as he took an in game injury he can't be cut outright. He would need to reach an injury settlement That means that out the $16.5 M cap hit, $10M is dead money already guaranteed. Injury settlements prorate the cost of expected missing weeks, so how much of $6.5 is worth a hole on the roster.

My wild card idea (which might be crazy) would be sliding him over to safety. His skill were never elite speed, it was technique and recognition. He'd never be a thumping S, but as a center fielder? maybe. IDK. No option is great

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Did we watch the same game? yes, they had two 3 and outs. But the offense was very much clicking going into the 2 minute warning. After that, it was Allen gunning it to Shakir for a killshot rather than taking the easy check down to Diggs. Allen rolling right and not seeing the open guys (they highlighted it in the broadcast) and then a missed FG. I can't blame Brady for that, especially after creaming the Chiefs on TOP.

The defense was a skeleton crew. I'm sure the gameplan was to keep it within a score and bleed the clock on offense from the opening kickoff. When KC's defense adjusted and it became tough sledding on the ground they had to loosen it up by taking shots downfield. I have no complaints about the offensive gameplan yesterday. Improbable as it was to succeed against the Chiefs with the defense as undermanned as it was, it almost worked. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Who drafted those WR's or brought them in as FA's?  At some point Beane has to be held accountable. All the draft pics on the DL, outside of Oliver, anyone even remotely a guy the other teams must game plan for? No.  

And clear 40+ million off the cap, AND find a legit #2 WR AND hopefully draft well.

I'm not quite worried about the cap to be honest. 

Restructure Diggs ~ 12M

Extend Allen (he deserves a much higher salary anyways) or Restructure him ~ 18.8M

Restructure Von ~13M

You're already up to 43M

Extend Dion Dawkins 4 years ~ 10M

Extend or Release White ~ 6M

Extend Douglas 2 years ~ 4M

Bills don't have expensive FAs to re-sign. Davis will walk, Hyde will retire, Poyer will retire (earn more cap savings there). Probably DQ will be retained ($4M). The only one I have a question about is AJE, who I love as a 3rd DE behind GR and Von (who looked decent yesterday).

Beane won't be much of a player in the FA market this year, but I do think there's space to add an impact player. For example Budda Baker if negotiations fall through with AZ though I'm not sure Beane would ever sink 14M into a FS

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Could you imagine the stats if he could actually make 2nd half adjustments?

What adjustments were you thinking about going into the second half?  I’d have to watch the game again to understand what Brady did or didn’t do

Kind of shocked Morse wants to come back. I'm fine with him for one more year.

Hyde needs to retire

Gabe needs to sign elsewhere and net us a comp pick- maybe 5th round?

White needs a pay cut or just cut

Poyer I bring back for one more year

If Morse is back, then Bates needs to take a pay cut or just cut him. They should draft a center to develop in the mid rounds even if Morse returns 

Cut or let walk in no order:

Floyd 

Phillips 

Epenesa 

Settle 

Murray 

Sherfield and Hardy 

Gilliam 

Matakevich 

Hamlin

Martin

Lewis

Worth bringing back Jones Dodson Neal Rapp Isabella Edwards Van Demark and Johnson

Douglas should get an extension especially if they cut White.

Am I missing anyone?

7 minutes ago, appoo said:

I'm not quite worried about the cap to be honest. 

Restructure Diggs ~ 12M

Extend Allen (he deserves a much higher salary anyways) or Restructure him ~ 18.8M

Restructure Von ~13M

You're already up to 43M

How long do you want to be pushing Diggs and Vons guaranteed money down the road via restructuring?

I would like to find a way to move on after 2024 if they don’t show any improvement … not sure that will happen if they get restructured again this off season..

Edited by Aussie Joe

4 minutes ago, transient said:

The defense was a skeleton crew. I'm sure the gameplan was to keep it within a score and bleed the clock on offense from the opening kickoff. When KC's defense adjusted and it became tough sledding on the ground they had to loosen it up by taking shots downfield. I have no complaints about the offensive gameplan yesterday. Improbable as it was to succeed against the Chiefs with the defense as undermanned as it was, it almost worked. 

Pretty much. With the defense so damaged, and having no much difficulty stopping the Chiefs from getting chunk plays, Brady's plan (which worked up into the 3rd quarter) was to bully the Chiefs D-line and do as much TOP as possible to keep Mahomes off the field and give as much rest as possible. And when the Chiefs moved to run blitzes, Kincaid was able to work blitz beaters.

Thus my consternation at suddenly deciding to go for high speed kill shot within 2 minutes.

44 minutes ago, appoo said:

I don't think you understand A) how the chiefs defended Allen, and B) the deficiencies of the Bills WR corps in this moment in time

Richard Sherman was on undisputed and was talking complete nonsense because Allen had zero plays of 20+ yards. He said that Brock Purdy had a better game, which is simply a horrible take.

I thought this guy was smart, but he clearly didn't realize that the KC defense is top of the league in pass D and we wanted to manage the clock and keep the D off the field.

The deep shots that were dropped were brought up, but he dismissed them because they weren't caught.

I tuned out after that because it was just bad analysis

DIggs is due 24M? What are our options? I never understood if a player has any motivation to take a pay cut. What if he says no? What are our options. I always heard NFL contracts were always a series of 1 year contracts....Id like him closer to WR average maybe 10-15M?

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

How long do you want to be pushing Diggs and Vons guaranteed money down the road via restructuring?

I would like to find a way to move on after 2024 if they don’t show any improvement … not sure that will happen if they get restructured again this off season..

With Diggs you're adding 12M over the next two years, and with Von about 13M over the next 3 years. Bills lose some deadcap with that, pushing Von to losing ~3M if they cut him after next season, and Diggs you won't be able to cut until 2026 without burning too much deadcap

10 minutes ago, appoo said:

Restructure Diggs ~ 12M

If Beane does this, someone in the front office needs to slap him. 

Whether its age or something else, Diggs is slowing down. Clearly. Noticeably.

Restructuring $12M from the 2024 season would make his cap hits over $30 Million the next two years. 

He would be uncuttable.

Untradeable.

Un-anythingable.

55 minutes ago, appoo said:

I don't think you understand A) how the chiefs defended Allen, and B) the deficiencies of the Bills WR corps in this moment in time

I don't care how they defended him. When you have a top QB, you don't abandon a downfield passing attack just because your opponent is attempting to stop it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.