McDermott - Excuses, Valid but concerning

SCBills

22 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Did Manning win before or after head coaching change? Asking for a friend. 

Haha... yes there was a change of HC in 2002, but the Colts didn't win a SB until Dungy's fifth year there, in 2006. And when he took over in 2002, Manning was already well developed, having been drafted in 1998.

16 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It COULD fail miserably... but I'm willing to risk bringing Belichick in here.   The chances of him winning a SB with Allen are higher than with the current staff 

Without Brady, Bill has been a mere mortal.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:54 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

Mcdermott saved his job the last 2 months. Ask Sirianni how his switch in coordinators went?  I wanted Mcdermott gone after the denver game but he showed me a lot since then.  This season was by far his best coaching job and deserves another year.  

He was awesome getting curbstomped by Reid in the second half 

let’s just wait another year until Allen’s career is over and we are back to a rotating cast of scrub qb’s 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:49 AM, BBFL said:

I’ve said this before, the wins McD has in the playoffs aren’t that great…

A Phillip Rivers led Colts team who literally gave the game away. 

Baltimore Ravens, needed an insane 99 yard pick-6 for a win. 

The other 3 wins are now:

Barely beating Skylar Thompson and the Fish. 

Blowing out Mac Jones and the Cheats. 

Beating an injured Steeler team on their 3rd string QB…

Guy just can’t beat the quality teams when it matters. After all, Andy Reid did give him the foot in the door of his NFL coaching career… maybe student can’t beat the master?

Have no problem with McD back next year, he has this team as a success. Just won’t be expecting anything other than one and done. 

The bills barely beat Skylar Thompson because Josh Allen was a turnover machine in that game. It wasn't coaching.

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia

5 hours ago, UmbrellaMan said:

Without Brady, Bill has been a mere mortal.

God couldn't coach the Pats to a winning season with Mac Jones as his QB. Bill would have Josh Allen here. He would win with Allen leading the way. He would build a better defense that would do a better job against the likes of Mahomes, Burrow etc etc. 6 Super Bowl wins and 9 Super Bowl appearances is proof of that.

On 1/22/2024 at 11:00 AM, BigDingus said:

Let's not forget Andy Reid's playoff history before Mahomes.

How many NFC playoff games did he lose with those Eagles teams? Then a few more with the Chiefs. It took him a long, long time to get where he is now. 

McDermott doesn't have the wins now, but Reid made the playoffs a dozen times before getting over the hump (yes, he did make a SB appearance with the Eagles once too).

It sounds like you're saying that McD with Josh is the same as Reid without Mahomes. Wasn't Mahomes Reid's missing piece?

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/22/2024 at 8:32 AM, Success said:

I think McDermott is a very solid coach, and we had a lot of adversity w/ the injuries.

But this certainly seems like the ceiling w/ him.  To win a SB, we'll need a lot of luck.

I don't think he deserves to be fired. But we may be at a point where we just need some new energy.  This team has almost too much psychological baggage at this point, and a change at HC could be a catalyst for a whole new direction & attitude.

Absolutely in agreement. The team have never been able to recover from 13 seconds. May even be a subconscious thing. 

20 hours ago, Augie said:

People are upset and he’s the easiest figure to lash out at. They are quite certain that whoever replaces the coach (with the highest winning percentage in franchise history) will do better. I’m not so certain. 

What's certain is that a Bills led McD team has lost 3 straight divisional round playoff games. Two of the them were at home. 

You do realize the Bills team has one of the best QBs in the NFL. 

A solid NFL coach can do at least what McD has accomplished. I see little optimism that McD can progress this team further. Why would you? Make your case as to why to keep him? 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:36 AM, SCBills said:

-WC Loss to the Houston Texans.  We weren't ready.  Second half collapse, but Year 2 Josh Allen.  Not the end of the world.

-AFC Championship Game vs KC.  Defense was handed an early lead and proceeded to lay an egg.  But hey, we're making strides and weren't ready for that moment.  But we're on the right track.

-AFC Divisional Game vs KC.  13 seconds.  Abject failure that falls directly on the coaching.  We'll apparently never know where the disconnect was in those final moments, but ok.

-AFC Divisional Game at home vs CIN.  No show all around.  Damar Hamlin, mental exhaustion... ok.  Fine. 

-AFC Divisional Game at home vs KC.  Defense is an absolute dumpster fire.  McDermott leading that Defense.  But we have injuries, so...  Spags had injuries too, and managed to make life difficult in that second half, but ok...

Playoff wins over Miami with a backup QB, Pittsburgh with a backup QB, Baltimore, New England and Indianapolis.  

Every year, aside from 13 seconds, he's had a valid excuse.  First two years, building, making strides...

But then 13 seconds happened, and our Defense has been an absolute liability against the Bengals and Chiefs.

He gets next year, I'm sure, but there can't be anymore excuses.  Valid or not.. he's used all of them up.  We talk about needing luck yet NE ran the AFC for a decade + and now KC is doing the same.  It's not luck, as much as we want to pretend it is.  And when we watch Allen play Mahomes.. it's not the QB.  So what is it?  Rhetorical question, because we all know.. and he's out of excuses.  Valid or not.  You can't have one every year. 

The difference is the defense comparison.  Let’s see, KCs defense has Jones, a premier secondary, and no injuries.  Ours was hobbled.  We knew Mahomey would score at least 30, and we limited them to 27.  The game plan almost worked.  I doubt that a track meet would’ve been better because we would’ve had to score 50 against that D.  Unlikely.  

• Disagree 1

McD and Beane saying in their interviews that we gotta find a way to make one or two more plays to get where they wanna be has lost me. They are basically saying they have been good enough. Zero sacks and Ints in 3 playoff games against Mahommes is not close to good enough, it’s a recipe for losing. 

• Agree 2

ESPN Get Up is still discussing the Bills failures this morning, Lol.   The crew remain in disbelief as to how Buffalo didn't win that game.  One person said its unreal that Poyer and Hyde will leave the Bills without a Super Bowl Championship there.

45 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

The difference is the defense comparison.  Let’s see, KCs defense has Jones, a premier secondary, and no injuries.  Ours was hobbled.  We knew Mahomey would score at least 30, and we limited them to 27.  The game plan almost worked.  I doubt that a track meet would’ve been better because we would’ve had to score 50 against that D.  Unlikely.  

You fail to mention a few things. The Bills were favorites to win the game. The Bills were playing at home. The Chiefs offense looked as beatable and less explosive as they ever have. The Bills came into the game red hot. The Bills players and fans had been waiting for this exact opportunity for years. 

This was probably the best chance the Bills had to beat KC. They squandered another opportunity under McD. 

No we didn't know Mahomes would score at least 30. They didn't score that the week prior vs a poor Miami D in their house. 

The Bills offense was completely healthy and they have one of the best QBs in the league. Yes the KC D is very good. However, the Bills offense has to rise to the occasion. It didn't which seems to be a common occurrence in divisional round playoff games. 

You can point to all the excuses you want. There will always be excuses available. "It's tough to win it all" is another you can use. At some point, the excuses just don't hold it's value. I believe after 3 straight playoff one and outs the excuse narrative gets old, diluted, and stale. 

A coaching change at one Bills Drive is as clear as day for many Bills fans. Unfortunately, that's not happening and the likelihood for progress with this regime seems suspect at best. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The bills barely beat Skylar Thompson because Josh Allen was a turnover machine in that game. It wasn't coaching.

Coaching had a lot to do with it. 1the Bills offense was unprepared for the multiple pressure looked the dolphins D gave them. They failed to adequately call plays that took advantage of their zero looks. Dorsey received lots of criticism for his play calling. You can rewrite history here. 

The Bills were fortunate to win that game. The QB incompetence saved them more than anything. 

Coaching certainly didn't win them the game. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You fail to mention a few things. The Bills were favorites to win the game. The Bills were playing at home. The Chiefs offense looked as beatable and less explosive as they ever have. The Bills came into the game red hot. The Bills players and fans had been waiting for this exact opportunity for years. 

This was probably the best chance the Bills had to beat KC. They squandered another opportunity under McD. 

No we didn't know Mahomes would score at least 30. They didn't score that the week prior vs a poor Miami D in their house. 

The Bills offense was completely healthy and they have one of the best QBs in the league. Yes the KC D is very good. However, the Bills offense has to rise to the occasion. It didn't which seems to be a common occurrence in divisional round playoff games. 

You can point to all the excuses you want. There will always be excuses available. "It's tough to win it all" is another you can use. At some point, the excuses just don't hold it's value. I believe after 3 straight playoff one and outs the excuse narrative gets old, diluted, and stale. 

A coaching change at one Bills Drive is as clear as day for many Bills fans. Unfortunately, that's not happening and the likelihood for progress with this regime seems suspect at best. 

All good points.  Our D on game day was worse than those Fish.  Considering the circumstances, our game plan was perfect.  The coaches got it right.  Even the GOAT coach would’ve done the same.  Remember what he did in our first SB?

I think that McD’s defensive strength is the back end of the defenses and his ability to disguise coverages.  McD’s propensity to stay in nickel defenses leads to the amount of injuries we continue to sustain.  The system is causing the injuries.  I think we need to change the style of defense that we play.  As we go through multiple players we lose the ability to disguise coverages and the overall efficiency of the defense suffers.  

I think most posters are correct in their assertions that our Divisional Playoff woes are laid at the feet of the defense.  My point is that it’s the style of defense that we play that leads to the injuries and eventual attrition that results in Playoff collapses.  We need a change on the defensive side of the ball.  

my two cents!

Edited by AmishRifle
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, zow2 said:

ESPN Get Up is still discussing the Bills failures this morning, Lol.   The crew remain in disbelief as to how Buffalo didn't win that game.  One person said its unreal that Poyer and Hyde will leave the Bills without a Super Bowl Championship there.

The defense has barely showed up when it matters, why is it surprising that Poyer and Hyde won't have a ring?  They let the chiefs get almost 10+ yards a play. 

• Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The defense has barely showed up when it matters, why is it surprising that Poyer and Hyde won't have a ring?  They let the chiefs get almost 10+ yards a play. 

If you play a team 3 times and only force 4 punts total in those playoff games played who is at fault? 

I don't get why some McD supporters aren't seeing the big picture here. Reid and the KC Chiefs straight own the Bills in the playoffs. The Student (McD) will never take down the Master (Reid) here in this case.

Lets try again next year though for the 4th time and see if it changes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

A solid NFL coach can do at least what McD has accomplished. I see little optimism that McD can progress this team further. Why would you? Make your case as to why to keep him? 

You don’t like him. I’m pretty sure that is a solid start.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

All good points.  Our D on game day was worse than those Fish.  Considering the circumstances, our game plan was perfect.  The coaches got it right.  Even the GOAT coach would’ve done the same.  Remember what he did in our first SB?

I failed to mention that the Bills D line was as healthy as it's been all year. They failed to take advantage of the weaker KC tackles. They produced zero sacks on Mahomes and very limited pressure. 

In the second half, the Chiefs oline did a very good job with their run blocking schemes.  Pacheco was quite successful running the ball vsca healthy Bills front. 

In essence, the Chiefs Oline was mostly successful vs the Bills healthy Dline.

Everyone wants to talk about injuries which is true. However, the Bills Dline also failed to step up. This really hasn't been discussed much. 

Who is in charge of the defense?

Just now, Augie said:

You don’t like him. I’m pretty sure that is a solid start.  

That's obvious but make your case for McD staying. I mean there is one to be made even if I disagree. 

32 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

I think that McD’s defensive strength is the back end of the defenses and his ability to disguise coverages.  McD’s propensity to stay in nickel defenses leads to the amount of injuries we continue to sustain.  The system is causing the injuries.  I think we need to change the style of defense that we play.  As we go through multiple players we lose the ability to disguise coverages and the overall efficiency of the defense suffers.  

I think most posters are correct in their assertions that our Divisional Playoff woes are laid at the feet of the defense.  My point is that it’s the style of defense that we play that leads to the injuries and eventual attrition that results in Playoff collapses.  We need a change on the defensive side of the ball.  

my two cents!

Only one way that happens. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's obvious but make your case for McD staying. I mean there is one to be made even if I disagree. 

All we have done is win since he arrived. He took the Bills to the playoffs prior to Josh arriving while ending the drought. He’s won the AFCE for four straight years. He has the highest winning percentage of ANY coach in franchise history. I don’t like whiney people who constantly need instant gratification. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.