Anyone else more low-key about this loss than you thought you'd be?

Success

A little bit ... why?  Because it literally happens every year ... by hook or by crook, the Sean McDermott-coached Buffalo Bills inevitably come up short in the biggest moments in the playoffs ... and the Pegula family and fan base loves Sean McDermott and apparently wants to see this movie over and over again, year-in and year-out.

6 hours ago, Success said:

Maybe a weird post - but I was both excited about this game, and dreading it.  I was excited because winning would have been euphoria - but I expected losing to be completely devastating.  As it always has been for me.

I'm actually shocked that I'm in decent spirits right now.  It's nothing like previous losses in high-stakes games.  I usually can't sleep, but I think I'll sleep fine tonight.

Trying to figure it out.  Do I just expect this kind of stuff now?  Just curious if anyone else has a similar thing going on....

You're not alone, be sure of that.

The samething happen year after year. We dont need a huge instinct to know what will happen again. 

We had all the clues we need during the seasons, but we try to hide it behing all those wins in seasons.

Bottom of line: something will happen each year at the same time of the year. JJWATT show and this famous common sense call, 13 seconds, Hamlin, injuries.

Yesterday, i felt like we could have it at the 2 minuts warning, but i was not in shock at all to see them blew it.

It's a kind of battered women syndrome i guess.

Until we understand we have to try another road to take the next step, it will be that, for the better and the worst.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe a weird post - but I was both excited about this game, and dreading it.  I was excited because winning would have been euphoria - but I expected losing to be completely devastating.  As it always has been for me.

I'm actually shocked that I'm in decent spirits right now.  It's nothing like previous losses in high-stakes games.  I usually can't sleep, but I think I'll sleep fine tonight.

Trying to figure it out.  Do I just expect this kind of stuff now?  Just curious if anyone else has a similar thing going on....

I felt the same for whatever reason. I think its because of how banged up we are and the run we went on to get into the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Was hoping for a win, tried to stay positive but with the state of the Defense expected the loss.  I don't get upset over football games.  

However, I really did like the Bills offensive game plan.  Several long, methodic intentional drives.....makes me wonder where they'd be if they had done this all year and became really efficient with it.  Oh well.

• Like (+1) 1

I was there; first home playoff game since the Kelly era. I really had a feeling when the touchback took place and the Allen fumble was recovered that the football gods might finally be on our side. Then getting down to the 25, first and 10, a plausible path to beat the clock and keep Mahommes off the field…it just felt like it was meant to be. Something special in the air. Then it all went south in ways being discussed ad nauseum on threads here. The instant Bass trotted out to kick I looked up at the sky, and said, “and here comes Patrick Mahommes. Why god?”

So for me the disappointment was big in the sense that I went from a feeling that fate might be turning, to—very rapidly—the opposite. All in the space of about 3 minutes (if you include the 2 minute warning TV timeout). But as soon as the “our time has come” spell was broken I kind of took it fatalistically, which is how I am feeling now.

My other feeling is a deep sense of relief that it did not seem, from Highmark, as though Ed Hochuli cost us the game. That would have been very hard to take. This was different: Hope. Poof. Resignation. 

Winning the division will be even tougher next year, Burrow will be back, Chargers will have a legit coach, and the AfC will be tougher than ever. We hosted 2 home playoff games this year and that ain’t happening again…they blew it, plain and simple.

With all the injuries we had, some from early in the season, I just never really got high expectations on this year's team. Always felt like a "Damn, the league is so wide open; it's a shame we got the injury bug this bad" season the whole way through to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think I could have done without the wide right horror.  The worst part about all of this is having to hear from the usual suspects in my life who derive pleasure from this team’s misfortunes, as if it somehow makes them better people. You all know them; they’re our own personal Nick Wrights.  I save receipts all season long in the hopes that I will finally be able to throw it all in their faces.  And not only does it never happen, but the manners of failure always seem to be the most painful possible.  Like wide right, really?  

If we’re really honest, beating Pittsburgh last week felt hollow because we knew the injuries were finally too much for our defense to overcome.  The only way to win this game was to outscore them.  Josh was up to the task, but he was let down by his teammates, again, at the most crucial moments.  It would have happened next week in Baltimore, too.  

• Like (+1) 1

Long time lurker, maybe not best idea to post something after a night of ruminating and not sleeping. Anyhow...

I've been a Bills fan probably longer than most people reading this have been alive. Did not grow up in WNY, but had Joe Ferguson posters in my room and the first Bills game I actually saw in person had Vince freaking Ferragamo at QB. The question posed by this thread inevitably leads one down the path of comparisons over the course of a lifetime. 

I've been to far too many engagements where I was in the minority, flying the banner of Bills Fandom in hostile terrority and suffering the insults and derision of whatever bandwagon Pats, Chiefs, Cowboys, etc fans were dishing it out.  I've seen epic Bills losses in the regular and post season through the eyes of an optimistic kid, a passionate an emotionally invested young adult, and now as an older man who feels resigned to a fate of futility.

When the kick missed, which I fully expected after the 2nd and 9 incompletion, I was pretty numb and reserved.  Maybe it's conditoning or maybe because losses are a  more overwhelming in this era of sports fandom.  It's a culture of smack talk hot take trolling that just doesn't appeal to me. You dont get to decompress or obectively assess what you experience. Sure, a good back and forth among friends can be fun, but to me, the business of harnessing others anger and misery into clickbaits for a ubiquitous and 24/7 industry of pseudo journalism is a hellish landscape that continues to spiral into a dystopia of personal attacks among people emoldened by a keyboard who have never actually met.  Yuck.

Compounding it is the fact that I've passed this curse down to my kids. Adds to the disappointment for sure.

So, yeah, comparatively speaking,I'm a but more low-key, but also a bit older, not necessarily wiser, and conditioned to this in a Stockholm syndrome sorta way.

I'll go back to watching all this from the lurker's cheap seats for now, but for all TBD members, keep it up! This site is an incredible source of football knowledge and wit.  Keeps me sane for sure.

• Like (+1) 4

I slept fine. I fully expected to lose. That is the sad part of being a bills fan. In fact I expected this loss to the point that I turned down a free ticket to an enclosed luxury suit. I told my friend to take my oldest son. At least he got to meet some Sabres players. I told him they are just another bunch of losers. It’s Buffalo, that’s what they do! I’m just sick of this team. Not wasting my Sundays next fall, I’m getting too old for this, I only have so many left!

7 hours ago, Success said:

No. This was as devastating a loss as I remember. Wide right. How prophetic. Buffalo fans can’t catch a break…ever. I guess the NFL got what it wanted.

Last year was easy because the Bengals came in, beat their butts, and deserved to win.  Cant get upset about that

This isn't easy because the Bills had the game in the palm of their hand, through all the adversity, and failed to execute when it mattered.  Good teams come through after the 2 minute warning there with a touchdown.

So many unfair narratives are going to be borne from this game as well with Allen and Mahomes.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Success said:

Not for me.

It was right there for them and they almost had it even with all those defensive injuries.

Worse than last year. Right up there with 13 seconds.

By the time the Bills lost their last SB, I had already been a fan 28 years. Right after that the Bills / Snickers commercial came out and I was like if you can laugh about it, then I no longer let it bother me

It also helps that last night I was at a party of 20 people. Kind of gives you a support network to work thru a lost

I’m not angry like last year or the 13 seconds finish. 

Woke up today and just….sad.  This team is wasting opportunities and there is no easy fix.  There are elite QBs all over the AFC.  It seems like it’s impossible for this team to get over the hump.  The cap.  The coaching questions.  The personnel on offense.  

If you lose fine with your guys to a better team fine.  But I cannot stand these injuries anymore.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.

Tre

Von

Milano

Daquan 

Bernard 

Benford

Davis

Deep down I think the Chiefs probably felt about this game as I did going into KC.  They were banged up then and we weren’t.  It was reversed yesterday.  I really can’t accept McD or this team can’t beat them bc we have.  More than any team.  And KC beats everyone.  6 straight AFC title games.  Why should I be mad?  Those injuries are the difference.  It’s that close.  

It’s the “I just don’t see how we get there” dread I feel.  And it’s not that we can’t fix these things.  It’s full Buffalo.  Something is going to happen.  

Offense was clean all year.  So you know what that means for next year.

It never ends in this city.  

Please Lord keep Josh healthy.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.