How about the D-line? 1 sack in two playoff games

Process

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

From the BN:

“Defensive tackle Ed Oliver had his lunch handed to him by Chiefs guard Joe Thuney. According to Next Gen Stats, Oliver had 10 one-on-one matchups against Thuney and failed to create a single pressure. Oliver and DaQuan Jones were held without a pressure on a combined 38 pass rushes.”

Odd because I literally saw him create at least two pressures.

6 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Eric Washington needs to be gone.  This d line was terrible. Oliver had 0 pressures. Hasn’t happened since ‘21.  No significant plays or sacks once again against a foe you know well.  This all goes back to mcd and failed performances in big games.  Kelce , who was running free at times, w two tds tonight and had never done that all season. How does that stuff happen?  No defensive stops till we were behind and had given up 27 points.  Throw in crazy fake punt, allowing an obviously injured punter to kick and hold , wasted time outs , bad penalties , kc running  easily with no answer but Spags stopped cook w run blitzes.   Outcoached , again. 

I agree but I have read posters here who say Washington is the heir apparent to be the D coordinator when McD gives up the duties.  The positional coach who excels at whatever group he coaches is Babich.

The trouble Babich had in this game was Klein was his option at MLB.  The young ones all improved under his tutelage.

It is also crazy to rush 4 with no creativity. Oliver and the ends never bother with any kind of inside move. Maybe that was the plan, but it is easy for an OT to run guys up the field when they know they are taking a contain rush. Oliver was very disappointed, but he was held a lot. Offensive holding was barely called this weekend, so maybe it's a playoff adjustment. But Oliver just really didn't do much of anything. With everyone running straight up the field, it was easy for Mahomes to step up and make plays. 

I have been pretty critical about the lack of twists in the rush game the last few years. Again it feels like it was the gameplan to keep Mahomes in the pocket and that neutered the pass rush. Even in this instance, coaching did not put their players in a situation to maximize their abilities. Coaching is the issue. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

DL and the whole defense failed to step up again vs KC in the playoffs. The Hardman fumble saved this from being a blowout honestly. It was way to easy for KC.

Yep. Bills saved by the dumbest rule in the NFL. 

8 hours ago, Process said:

Sure we were beat up in the back 7, but the d line was fully healthy. McBeane has been absolutely relentless in pouring resources into the d line since they stepped foot in Buffalo. I don't think they came close to sniffing Mahomes tonight. 

Best post of the year. I've been a long time STH and so have my seatmates have been. I kept pitching about the defense all night and my buddy kept saying, well we have a lot of injuries on defense. 

I said, our d-line is healthy and they can't stop the run, and there is no pressure on Mahomes. After halftime, not one adjustment. McDermott is worthless. Sorry to say, but he is killing this team. 

TP wants to keep hiring the cheapest, no experienced people to run his teams. He's a joke. Sell the f'n teams ass-whole

• Agree 1

A big time incriminating statistic against Sean. He should have found a way to pressure Mahomes, he was finding receivers wide open. Also, Pacheco was running wild against our front.  The LBs and DL had a bad game. We were outmanned and if Josh pulled that game out of his rear end it would have been miraculous. He came close. 

all the resources spent on defense and they have been dominated every year in the playoffs against the Bengals and Chiefs. 

Yes, we beat Skylar Thompson (barely), Mason Rudolph, Mac Jones, and the Ravens when Lamar went out with a concussion.

This isn't a one year thing. McDermott's defenses always no-show. This year there were injuries, but the result was the same. The DL was healthy and no-showed. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I haven’t seen AJ since October.  

Rousseau is mid.  

Oliver is a beast.  Same Jones.  But the interior of the KC line dominated them. 

Creed Humphrey is one of the 3 best centers in the league. 

Our DEs are a massive problem.  You can’t win SB with mid DEs. 

But how many draft picks and FA's have been spent on DL?  If this is the case and they STILL aren't worth a damn, then we need someone else doing the Evaluation and draft picks. I mean damn, it is what it is.

• Agree 1

Von scheduled to count for nearly $24 million on the Bills’ 2024 salary cap, a $6.435 million portion of his $17+ million base salary will become guaranteed on March 18. 

A post-June 1 cut will leave the Bills with $17+ million in dead money in 2024 and $15.4 million in 2025. I don’t see how you keep Miller on the roster. The Rams showed that drafting young players and dumping contracts beats keeping dead weight on the roster. It was a great idea that failed.

They will be plenty of roster changes for sure,  I just hope Beane learns the team cannot have special teams player other than punter/Kicker and long snapper.  They cannot afford guys taking up roster sports that cannot contribute to either regular offence or defence

Floyd, Rousseau, Ed and DaQuon are a great starting front four.  They didn't impact the game nearly as much as we had hoped but they're all very good to great at their positions.  No changes required there for next year assuming Floyd doesn't get goofy with contract demands. 

Von had a few tackles but obviously is old and slow and playing off his name and coaching/leadership skills. (remember he was drafted with AJ Green, Dareus, Julio Jones, JJ Watt-- all guys that have nothing left after years of getting beat up. Von doesn't either, but he got one last huge 50M guaranteed payday on his way out, unfortunately it was from us.  I don't blame him for doing it, or Beane for taking a flyer on him, it just sucks that we have to endure him trying to justify his money/ignore the fact that he's washed...its pretty sad for everyone)

The biggest shock was lack of middle penetration by Ed n DQ vs run or pass.  That's the key to helping the DE's get home, splitting that pocket and forcing the QB to move either direction.  It also help the LB's hammer the run, but those interior OL guys for KC are way better than I remembered.  Not blaming the loss on the Dline, in a lot of cases we dropped 8 into coverage anyway, they did enough to get us the win.

Most of those DEs should be WRs 

time to free up some cap space and find a way to bring in Tee Higgins AND Michael Pittman Jr AND draft a top WR.

want to win? That’s how you do it.  I’m just the messenger 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.