So we're firing McD, right?

Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So the Bills can rise up and save Sean's job after the Dunne piece, but besides Josh they can't rise up against their hated rival in the playoffs. If Pegula is so blind to not see the obvious, then we as fans better be prepared for more seasons like this. McD is not taking this team to a SB, let alone winning one. And if that's OK for all you "participation trophy" fans then knock yourselves out.

Yep… prepare yourself for McD being here next year 

I say fire him. He couldn't kick a field goal. He couldn't catch perfect Josh Allen passes. He couldn't get a hand on Mahomes. He couldn't cover Kelsey. He couldn't stay healthy. He couldn't even get the refs to reverse an obvious bad call when it was reviewed. Get rid of the bum!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Listening to WGR right now.  Chris Brown is ball washing McD and Mahomes.  Saying Mahomes is the Michael Jordan of the AFC.  What's he going to think when they get smoked by the Ravens next week??  The earlier hosts were at least critical, this is ridiculous now.  

1 minute ago, bmur66 said:

I say fire him. He couldn't kick a field goal. He couldn't catch perfect Josh Allen passes. He couldn't get a hand on Mahomes. He couldn't cover Kelsey. He couldn't stay healthy. He couldn't even get the refs to reverse an obvious bad call when it was reviewed. Get rid of the bum!

His defense only put them in 3rd down 5 times. It is another epic failure. There are so many people that could win a playoff game with Josh Allen. We need to find the guy that can win KC playoff games with Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So the Bills can rise up and save Sean's job after the Dunne piece, but besides Josh they can't rise up against their hated rival in the playoffs. If Pegula is so blind to not see the obvious, then we as fans better be prepared for more seasons like this. McD is not taking this team to a SB, let alone winning one. And if that's OK for all you "participation trophy" fans then knock yourselves out.

I'll just repeat what I said above.

If the question is "Do you want the Bills to fire McDermott?", then okay. Vent. Get it all out.

If the question is "ARE the Bills going to fire McDermott?", the answer is "No". It just is.

Do you think differently? Do you foresee the Bills firing Sean McDermott this offseason?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LarryMadman said:

No he didn't the QB played out of his mind and wouldnt let the team lose.

McDummie cant coach out of his mind as he is incapable of that.

He took a D missing tons of key players and back ups & went on a 5 game winning streak. Absolutely Josh deserves credit. But there were times in those games the O fell asleep, Josh had turnovers, & the D held it together. They had no business doing as well on D as they did w/ those injuries, they even won the turnover battle in those games. He also made the right call replacing Dorsey w/ Brady. Yesterday the injuries on D, which got way worse in the Pittsburgh game came home to roost. McD isn't perfect but if you don't see how good he coached that D, it's bc you don't want to. It wasn't McD missing kicks, dropping passes, missing blocks or throws or tackles, that's the players. Yesterday's loss was the Jimmys & Joes not the Xs & Os.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Very nice post. I agree with the vast majority of your statements. You are especially spot on when it comes to McD. Zero growth when it comes playoff time. No confidence he can lead the Bills to a SB. 

For me it wasn't SB or bust. Maybe it should have been. Probably should be when your in year 6 or 7 of Allen. Talk about missed opportunities. Understatement of the year. Personally, I would have been ok with them going to Baltimore and losing a tough game. Going to the AFC championship game vs what been the best team in the AFC would have been not the worst loss to swallow. Ultimately it's not the goal but I likely would have seen it as progress. Maybe I'm lying to myself. A SB appearance would have been fantastic and a clear successful season. 

I agree with giving Allen a chance to win the game. However, I'm in disagreement with going for it on 4th and 8. It's kind of pick your poison. I think the chances of converting the 4th down was very slim. Interesting if there's a math equation or analytics that could give a clear picture. Taking into account the probability of making a 4th and 8th while taking into consideration make the FG while computing the chances of Mahomes leading the Chiefs to a game winning FG or TD. Pretty fascinating information here. 

I digress, while watching it live I asked myself are the Bills in 4 down territory? Truthfully, I didn't know the answer until I saw the play calling. I think the Bills could have been more prudent and tried to make a more manageable 4th and 2 or 3. It's all arm chair QBing  here. I think your thoughts process absolutely applies here in a shorter more manageable 4th down. 

I was fine with trying to convert the FG. In my mind, I felt like the game was already lost make or missed. There's no way any Bills' fan was confident that the D could stop Mahomes and company. However, lots of things can happen. A fumble, tipped ball for an int, strip sack, etc...in essence, praying for a miracle similar to the one the Bills received minutes before. 

I don't know how this team moves forward with McD as the coach. His message has to be getting stale. The players belief in him has to be diminishing. Heck, the coach himself is probably lacking confidence. When is enough enough? 

Running it back with a poor playoff coach who has shown an uncanny ability to lose divisional games with the top 3 QB in the league hardly inspires hope and optimism. 

Fans should be knocking on the Pegula's door begging for a coaching change. 

Yeah makes sense.  When I say the 4th down FG was the last straw for me I mean that just happened to be the last decision.  There were a ton more leading up to that point.  Fake punt, obsession with a middling run game, not running a play to gain a few yards on 3rd down for a more manageable 4th, etc.  I’d like to see that 3rd down play on an all 22 as, going off memory watching it live, I saw no receiver on the screen the broadcast allows us to see.  I know Allen was flushed out fairly early as well.  It just felt like a bad play call for the circumstances but I’m not certain.  

For me, since all of these things lead up the 4th down play I’m like why are you kicking?  You have the ball and are in control.   This situation is why we drafted Allen.  If you want to win, you pick this up and continue dictating the terms of the rest of the game.  I agree with you that I’d love to see probability metrics there as well.  They had 27 first downs and last night I couldn’t find anything on the length of each first down.  4th down feels like it’s a super tall task because of the finality of it all.  But if you take a step back and look at the overall picture it’s meh it’s 8 yards and we have Josh Allen I like my odds.  It feels to me like McDermott bailed himself out of taking responsibility there.  It’s now not McDermott’s fault they lost.  It’s Bass’ fault for missing the kick.  

I’m not here jumping up and down saying kicking it on 4th there is the worst idea ever and I know you are not saying the opposite.  It’s just for me personally I look at the entirety of the situation.  Defense stopped nothing.  We have Allen.  We have the ball and should be dictating the game at that point.  Instead of passively allowing Mahomes to dictate for the remaining 1:40.  Maybe McDermott thought he put Mahomes in the similar situation in the regular season game this year and won?  But they got real lucky that game and were certainly not playing anywhere near the defensive level yesterday vs that regular season game.  

Anyways, my thoughts are all not absolutes.  There’s levels of gray in between all of this.  Bottom line we all have the same desires for this team all we see every year is failure.  And all those failures look pretty similar.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll just repeat what I said above.

If the question is "Do you want the Bills to fire McDermott?", then okay. Vent. Get it all out.

If the question is "ARE the Bills going to fire McDermott?", the answer is "No". It just is.

Do you think differently? Do you foresee the Bills firing Sean McDermott this offseason?

Most definitely fire BOTH McDermott and Beane.
Will Pegula, I  highly doubt it.

After 7 years He is still hanging on to their "TRUST THE PROCESS" BS.

They are probably telling him"Have faith Terry there are still some Carolina connections we can bring in""and older players that need another chance". "Especially running backs".

As long as Bills Management can keep this fan base BILLieving and, spending, Pegula is content.

Why He even got people from the community to shovel out snow out of the stadium.

Imagine a Billionaire, paying $20. an hour to to do heavy shoveling.

Let this sink in, his annual running costs for his yacht are around $7 million.

$20.  How many seats?

Pegula should do right by the Fans that have so loyally supported his team.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Excluding kneeldowns we gave up 8.5 yards per play... 3 yards per play more than what the Chiefs offense averaged all season... That is quite possibly the worst playoff defensive performance of McDermott's career. It is getting worse, not better. The only reason the Chiefs didn't put up 40+ is that we controlled the ball and TOP on offense, and we got saved once by the dumbest rule in sports. And this is likely to be the weakest Chiefs offense we ever see in the Mahomes/Reid era. So what is the reason to be optimistic that McDermott will suddenly figure it out against this team when it counts?

I think there are posters who are afraid if McD is fired, we'll return back to the drought years.

So they are afraid.

But I would say any coach can win with Josh, yes any coach.

Bills would be far better off with an offensive minded coach.

At some point Bills have to realize its not working.  Yes they can win the division.  But to go to an AFC Championship and to win the superbowl something has to change.

When will this fanbase get tired of the status quo ?  At some point you have to take a chance and leap forward in a new spirit of daring.

Every year that goes by is another wasted year of Josh's talent.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I think there are posters who are afraid if McD is fired, we'll return back to the drought years.

So they are afraid.

But I would say any coach can win with Josh, yes any coach.

Bills would be far better off with an offensive minded coach.

At some point Bills have to realize its not working.  Yes they can win the division.  But to go to an AFC Championship and to win the superbowl something has to change.

When will this fanbase get tired of the status quo ?  At some point you have to take a chance and leap forward in a new spirit of daring.

Every year that goes by is another wasted year of Josh's talent.

That's pretty much the point of having an elite QB.  As long as Josh stays healthy, the Bills can compete.  How many coaches would love to coach Josh?  I'd say, pretty much everyone.  Time for a change.     

• Like (+1) 2

Dick Jauron would 100% have been in the playoffs multiple times with Allen.

He'd be our "crazy professor" coach. Probably similar results in the post season though.

The point is: having Josh Allen and NOT making the playoffs would be totally unacceptable. Thus, the FLOOR is getting to the playoffs. The minimum. 

Does anyone really think an innovative, proven OC would do worse with Josh Allen as his QB?

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Gunner you are literally going to be the last guy on the USS McDermott. 

Possibly. But I won't just follow the crowd I always asses what I see. I'd have fired him if he missed the playoffs this year. That would have been a major underachivement. Losing by 3 points to Patrick Mahomes in a game where the Bills were depleted and where I don't think coaching was the in the top 3 reasons for the loss isn't. 

I get those who go for the "at some point you just have to blow it up even if you can't pin it all on coaching" argument. But I am not there yet. I don't think he is beyond criticism. But I think generally among all sports fan bases the tendency is to over blame coaching and under blame player performance and execution. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Possibly. But I won't just follow the crowd I always asses what I see. I'd have fired him if he missed the playoffs this year. That would have been a major underachivement. Losing by 3 points to Patrick Mahomes in a game where the Bills were depleted and where I don't think coaching was the in the top 3 reasons for the loss isn't. 

I get those who go for the "at some point you just have to blow it up even if you can't pin it all on coaching" argument. But I am not there yet. I don't think he is beyond criticism. But I think generally among all sports fan bases the tendency is to over blame coaching and under blame player performance and execution. 

I see your point and I see where you are coming from. I guess my question is do you think this regime will ever win a Super Bowl here? If the answer is no, I think you have to make the move now when guys like Harbaugh, Belichick, and Vrabel, even Pete Carroll are on the market. If they look to make a move next year, those guys probably aren't available. In my opinion, they will not win the whole thing with this regime.  

On the next point, from the perspective of a coach, player execution falls into the coach's job. To some level, so does player performance. Now no one could have done anything to make Diggs catch that ball...that's on him and that is where player performance comes in. But the lack of execution is on the coaching staff and that starts with McDermott. If they run it back, next year will not have a different result. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

He took a D missing tons of key players and back ups & went on a 5 game winning streak. Absolutely Josh deserves credit. But there were times in those games the O fell asleep, Josh had turnovers, & the D held it together. They had no business doing as well on D as they did w/ those injuries, they even won the turnover battle in those games. He also made the right call replacing Dorsey w/ Brady. Yesterday the injuries on D, which got way worse in the Pittsburgh game came home to roost. McD isn't perfect but if you don't see how good he coached that D, it's bc you don't want to. It wasn't McD missing kicks, dropping passes, missing blocks or throws or tackles, that's the players. Yesterday's loss was the Jimmys & Joes not the Xs & Os.

Every post season defeat excuses and giving McDermott a pass....clock is ticking on Allen's career...guess we will be content wasting it as long as we get 10 divison titles 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If the EXACT situation happened next year, I’d assume that you’d run it back? If the Bills had injuries, a slow start and then lost in the divisional round to KC, it would be okay? If the answer is no, then why are we running it back again? When is “enough, enough?” If the answer is yes, then we are accepting that divisional round losses as okay. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.