Isn't This Game the Ultimate Referendum on Beane?

38 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nick Wright did bring up a point that’s been raised several times on this board…. Are we the Marty/Norv Chargers if we lose this game on Sunday?… the similarities are strong.

Nick Wright is wrong a lot … this time last week he said Dallas was going to win the NFC…

The Bills have got to win the next three games to change narratives …likely against the three other best teams in the competition…if they beat the Chiefs but lose to the Ravens (or Texans ) then it doesnt mean a lot really… the narratives will stay the same …

But will their lack of success  in respect of winning the SB be Beane’s fault ? … nah…

Edited by Aussie Joe

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Nick Wright did bring up a point that’s been raised several times on this board…. Are we the Marty/Norv Chargers if we lose this game on Sunday?… the similarities are strong.

No. Next question.

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

A single game just can't be a final referendum.  It's a single elimination tournament with a bouncy egg ball.  It's imperative that decision makers do things based on bodies of work.

100%. 

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I would say so but I think the Colts may be a better comparison. I don’t think we’re quite in Norv territory yet. You could set your watch to those meltdowns.

We would become….

The Bills are in it again? Oh jeez.

Was Nick Wright even alive yet for Marty? I doubt he was old enough to truly understand how  the nation felt about those teams at the time.

One thing I will say. No one on the street thought those Chargers teams were winning anything ever so although the records are similar, the situation is quite different. There aren’t mobs of people out there guaranteeing a Bills loss. Calling us the Chargers right now is a total slap to the face.

Edited by Governor

14 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

It was obvious a number of years ago Mahommes and the Chiefs were going to be the team to beat in the AFC for years to come.

Beane set out to mold his team as the one that could beat the big Boogeyman Mahommes through an effective pass rush.

Yes Beane has picked up some great position players along the way, but its obvious with Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham (now departed), Von (I'm back to 100%) Miller, Floyd (and others) where he placed his personnel concentration. 

Now he has a home game, with all these guys relatively healthy going up against some fairly average offensive tackles. 

Yes, the secondary and linebacking corps is fairly beat up...but if Beane did his due diligence,  it shouldn't make a difference if they can dominate.

We will know by midnight on Sunday.

Looks like the masses agree with your take!

15 hours ago, Success said:

I don't think so.  I said before the season that this is the best roster Beane has put together - and I still think that's true.

But we've been hit harder than most with injuries this year, and certainly much harder than our opponent Sunday.

People can call that an "excuse" if we lose and it's brought up.  It's just reality. How can we judge someone for the roster construction when at least a third of the starting roster is out?

On the flip side we're 1 of the only teams to start the same OL everey game but I agree and def the best roster in the McBeane era

• Like (+1) 1

Can't ignore the injuries. If Johnson & Bernard can't go we'll be missing the key coverage pieces for the middle of the field. Won't matter how good our pass rush is, Mahomes will be able to neutralize it w/ quick passes to the middle. It's a team sport. You can't ignore a significant # of injuries to the back 7 and say well if the pass rush doesn't win w/out them then Beane's a failure. That's not how football works.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Can't ignore the injuries. If Johnson & Bernard can't go we'll be missing the key coverage pieces for the middle of the field. Won't matter how good our pass rush is, Mahomes will be able to neutralize it w/ quick passes to the middle. It's a team sport. You can't ignore a significant # of injuries to the back 7 and say well if the pass rush doesn't win w/out them then Beane's a failure. That's not how football works.

Correct it is much more complicated than many wish.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Nick Wright did bring up a point.........

This explains so much.

The fact that you actually know what trolls and clickwhores are saying, and are then eager to come here and repeat it provides a ton of insight into why you've been such a terrible fit here.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

19 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They haven’t been hit harder with most with injuries… they lost Milano/Jones/White early. Replaced White with Douglas, Jones is back and only Milano is out for the year…. They are certainly banged up going into Sunday but more than most? No way…. This is the roster McBeane put together. A loss Sunday is still a failure season despite them coming back from the dead IMO. 

The goal was and has been SB though. It was never about making the playoffs. Coming up short again is a failure… losing out in the divisional game again is just another blown opportunity(as yet another AFC team possibly emerges better than Buffalo in Houston).

So, you’re saying Beane is great then.

19 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

It was obvious a number of years ago Mahommes and the Chiefs were going to be the team to beat in the AFC for years to come.

Beane set out to mold his team as the one that could beat the big Boogeyman Mahommes through an effective pass rush.

Yes Beane has picked up some great position players along the way, but its obvious with Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham (now departed), Von (I'm back to 100%) Miller, Floyd (and others) where he placed his personnel concentration. 

Now he has a home game, with all these guys relatively healthy going up against some fairly average offensive tackles. 

Yes, the secondary and linebacking corps is fairly beat up...but if Beane did his due diligence,  it shouldn't make a difference if they can dominate.

The 90's teams were built as close to being a perfectly dominate team as they could went to 4 SB's & didn't win so as they say any given sunday !

Like Tasker says on 1 Bills Live they have to execute better than the Chiefs on that day & if they don't they won't win . If the Bills aren't hitting on at least 7 1/2 cylinders & the Chiefs are hitting on 8 that's all it might take but the Chiefs haven't been & i truly think the Bills should win this game .

It only takes 1 or 2 plays to the good or the bad to change the out come of the game but when you have JA 17 at the helm he can be the 1 that makes up for some of those miscues .

But it is Mahomes & Reid or as some here call them the big bad boogey man of the AFC & until the Bills beat the best they can't become the best !! 

GO BILLS !!!! 

19 hours ago, Logic said:

Respectfully, I would suggest that this whole season has been a referendum on Brandon Beane.

The Bills likely don't get to the playoffs without the contributions of Cook (drafted), Torrence (drafted), McGovern (FA), Brown (drafted), Kincaid (drafted), Shakir (drafted), Bernard (drafted), Oliver (drafted, re-signed), Floyd (FA), Douglas (trade), etc. 

Add in the "next man up" contributions of guys like Dane Jackson and AJ Klein and Baylon Spector and Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield in recent weeks, and it equals an impressive roster with impressive depth, built by Branodn Beane.

I get what you're saying. Playoff games against the Chiefs will always be measuring stick games. But the fact that the Bills are even IN this position is a testament to the roster-building of Brandon Beane.

Beane is the opposite of the Sabres GM. He is constantly supplanting and tinkering with the roster and its depth instead of just using draft picks to build a team. That is why the 2 have polar opposite results.

Anyone wanting to fire Beane or McD after a loss just needs to direct their anger elsewhere IMO. 

20 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Um.  What has to happen in order for an effective pass rush to get home?

Think about it.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

No one ever thought the Chargers were winning anything ever? They had the 3rd best preseason odds to win the SB in 2007 and 2008… the Bills are approaching that territory of “oh the Bills are in it again, well we all know how that ends” much like those Chargers teams. 

They basically mirror their PPG, PPGA, regular season record and similar playoff record…

Right but you chose 3 or 4 years out of 20 years they choked. When someone says Chargers, I think Stan Humphries, Flutie, etc. I think back to 1994-95. So that’s why I’m hesitant to call them the Chargers at this moment. Lol

Edited by Governor

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.