Ron Rivera for Bills DC?

kota

Have you seen how well the Defense has been during this win streak?  The D is playing with 3rd and 4th stringers, and practice squad players.  Next man up.  Why the hell would you want a different D coordinator?

Slightly off topic- how fun was it to watch Dorian Williams?  I like the idea of Dorian spying Mahomes.  Dorian brings the hammer!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Have you been paying no attention? Rivera is TERRIBLE. Not only is his defense bad and nowhere near as creative as McDermott's, but Rivera is also a no-accountability guy. I live in the DC market and it was stunning to see how casual he was about losing.

well...he was playing with house money the whole time. nobody reasonably believed this guy was going to turn that team around---he just showed up, went through the motions, cashed the checks and let the city blame Snyder for every loss.

He's no fool, but he's washed up all the same.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree that it has improved since the bye, but special teams are still a mess. Letting the Pats open with a kickoff return TD in week 17 is just ridiculous.

We're trying to be a playoff/Super Bowl team. We need more/better coaches, not this barebones staff. Terry has the money to bring it in, McD has to let go of the vine on one or the other.

you're not serious are you?  Of all the kickoffs for the entire season in the NFL, there were a total of 4 returned for TDs.  It's so exceedingly rare, there is absolutely nothing any specific ST coach can do to alter that outcome. 

come on...

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you're not serious are you?  Of all the kickoffs for the entire season in the NFL, there were a total of 4 returned for TDs.  It's so exceedingly rare, there is absolutely nothing any specific ST coach can do to alter that outcome. 

come on...

So rare, but it happens to us. Classic.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So rare, but it happens to us. Classic.

classic….what? There were 570 returns league wide and 4 TDs—a rate of 0.7%.  That should convince anyone these are essentially random events that clearly don’t reflect any specific coaching philosophy or deficit or tendency. 

21 hours ago, Governor said:

Right but the season isn’t over. Let’s just say that something bad happens, the unthinkable happens, do you think anyone is going to remember the previous 6 wins? Do you think that after a career crushing loss, people will view that as the team rallying to their coach?

I think as fans we should be mentally prepared for all possible outcomes. This would be #4. I mean, he’s already done it 3 out of 3 times. The following day people would be calling him Marv 2.0 for Christ’s sake.

Unless the "unthinkable" is some kind of scandal even worse than the 9/11 fiasco he apologized for - yes, decision makers will remember those 6 wins, another division title, and another Playoff win - coming off of 6-6 and having key injuries.

Losing to KC in Round 2 of the Playoffs with the amount of key and depth players we have injured isn't some "unthinkable", fireable offense.

The idea that another loss to KC is going to make Beane or Pegula lose it and go back against everything they've said is a scenario that exists only in the heads of fans that want him gone and choose to ignore everything else.

Firing McDermott after the team rallied around him and pulled off what they did would make the team look inept and the media would justifiably roast us for it.

21 hours ago, Governor said:

He’s relieved that he might not have to fire him. I think you’re right about that.

I don't think he's relieved he doesn't "have to fire him". He was never going to fire him and never felt like he had to.

Before the Ty Dunne hit piece - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sean-mcdermott-is-safe-as-bills-coach-beyond-2023-despite-recent-struggles-per-report/

After the Ty Dunne hit piece - https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-sean-mcdermotts-job-is-safe

And this was before we won the division, secured the 2nd seed, and advanced in the Playoffs. 

19 hours ago, Governor said:

I was attacked by the paid McD apologists. I have to defend myself. 

You weren't "attacked". You put forth a scenario that exists only in your mind and stated it as fact. Then doubled down in later posts. That's going to attract a lot of replies. 

And a lot, if not most, of the replies come from people who were open to a coaching change at one point - but simply realize the reality of the situation. That doesn't make them all "McDermott apologists".

16 hours ago, Governor said:

Others would tell you it’s SB or be gone.

No one, beyond posters who live in a fantasy world and have no bearing on whether or not he is employed, is saying that. Those who do have bearing on that have multiple times this year said he's not going anywhere.

As I and others have said, the only way his job would have been in jeopardy is if we missed the playoffs and (not or) the team leaders (specifically Allen) made it known he's lost the locker room and they didn't want to play for him anymore. That only didn't happen, the complete opposite of that happened in both cases.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Can you please give us some facts that would in any way support your extremely specific contentions?  How is it 95% likely, and what facts do you have that it is "likely already in the works"?

Obviously you have information to back this up and are not just spewing nonsense that popped into your head one day.

Please share the info and facts that you have, as I am eager to find out what specific information you have for this vital change you indicate is almost a sure thing.

The Bills organization is basically a Christian halfway house for troubled teens (coaches.) Leslie Frazier is a good example. He was basically out of the league before being taken in by McD and Beane.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/02/how-bills-helped-ron-rivera-washington-football-teams-rebuild-in-2020.html

You take Rivera’s history with McD and Beane in Carolina, their friendship and connections since, Buffalo’s history of taking people in to get a fresh start, and you’ve got yourself a situation that’s about as slam dunk as you’d ever see. There’s a ton of history there and many other sources going into detail about it over the years. Lots of interesting reading there. You should take a gander.

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

classic….what? There were 570 returns league wide and 4 TDs—a rate of 0.7%.  That should convince anyone these are essentially random events that clearly don’t reflect any specific coaching philosophy or deficit or tendency. 

We'll disagree on the example. Would you say our Special Teams is well coached and playing up to expectations?

On 1/18/2024 at 2:28 AM, Governor said:

McD isn’t really safe yet. He has to beat KC at home or all hell is gonna break loose.

Idk why there’s so many negative reactions to this. The 13 second defensive melt down was on McDermott and he needs to prove he can beat KC in the playoffs or he deserves all the criticism coming his way. If Josh & company get a lead in under 2 minutes then the defense needs to make a stop point blank period. 

On 1/18/2024 at 1:24 AM, JerseyBills said:

McD deserves the option to bring in who he wants or if he wants to stay DC. 

I love how fast , aggressive and intense this D has been as opposed to the laid back Frazier 

Yes, but keep in mind when Rivera talked about McDermott as a DC, he said he needed to rein his aggressiveness in.

On 1/18/2024 at 2:12 AM, kota said:

just saw that Ron Rivera is interested in coaching still and how he missed coaching on a granular level when he took over for Jack Del Rio who was fired mid season.  He also stated he has a few opportunities available.

I think this is a bit interesting.  

A guy that has thrown his staff under the bus, lost the locker room and has failed 2 times as a HC. Absolutely NOT! 

On 1/18/2024 at 1:12 AM, kota said:

just saw that Ron Rivera is interested in coaching still and how he missed coaching on a granular level when he took over for Jack Del Rio who was fired mid season.  He also stated he has a few opportunities available.

Can we just freakin' continue to play for as long as possible this season?

Worry about next season when next season comes  - hopefully, not until February.

16 hours ago, Pete said:

Have you seen how well the Defense has been during this win streak?  The D is playing with 3rd and 4th stringers, and practice squad players.  Next man up.  Why the hell would you want a different D coordinator?

Slightly off topic- how fun was it to watch Dorian Williams?  I like the idea of Dorian spying Mahomes.  Dorian brings the hammer!

I saw the same thing and man Dorian continue to improve. 

On 1/18/2024 at 2:24 AM, JerseyBills said:

McD deserves the option to bring in who he wants or if he wants to stay DC. 

I love how fast , aggressive and intense this D has been as opposed to the laid back Frazier 

You may want to reserve judgement until after the playoffs, whenever that is.  

We've played and beaten only two of the current field of playoff teams remaining.  They are the two weakest offenses among them.  We barely beat both.  One of those teams got in at 9-8.  

Our D hasn't been known for stepping up in the playoffs.  

We've had the easiest schedule we've had since 2008.  

Those are facts.  

We're all optimistic but let's see if McD can get a monkey off his back.  

On 1/18/2024 at 2:12 AM, kota said:

NO THANKYOU!!!!

4 hours ago, Governor said:

The Bills organization is basically a Christian halfway house for troubled teens (coaches.) Leslie Frazier is a good example. He was basically out of the league before being taken in by McD and Beane.

Ravens defensive backs coach = basically out of the league. Got ya. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We'll disagree on the example. Would you say our Special Teams is well coached and playing up to expectations?

Most kickoffs result in touchbacks.  The few that are returned rarely make it to the 25 yard line and almost none are run back for a TD.  Until recent injury, the punting has been excellent.  Bass is missing kicks on his own. 

within the parameters of ST overall function--they are right in the middle of the pack, I would say.  Major changes would result in imperceptible difference in outcome.

Frazier has worked for John Harbaugh, Lovie Smith, and Andy Reid, as well as McD.  I doubt he will land a HC gig, but depending on where the Head Coaching searches end up, he could easily slip into a DC or Asst Head Coach role with someone in those coaching trees.  Daboll needs a DC, wonder if he would be interested in Frazier.

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Idk why there’s so many negative reactions to this. The 13 second defensive melt down was on McDermott and he needs to prove he can beat KC in the playoffs or he deserves all the criticism coming his way. If Josh & company get a lead in under 2 minutes then the defense needs to make a stop point blank period. 

It’s just typical Bills hive mind behavior. I’m used to it.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Governor said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/02/how-bills-helped-ron-rivera-washington-football-teams-rebuild-in-2020.html

You take Rivera’s history with McD and Beane in Carolina, their friendship and connections since, Buffalo’s history of taking people in to get a fresh start, and you’ve got yourself a situation that’s about as slam dunk as you’d ever see. There’s a ton of history there and many other sources going into detail about it over the years. Lots of interesting reading there. You should take a gander.

Thanks, bud, but you have to admit there is absolutely nothing in this post or the link that would make one 95% certain, (or even 5% likely) of Rivera becoming the D coordinator, or that it was "likely".  There is not one current detail, fact, that indicates that, wouldn't you agree?

Why not just say you want it to happen and tell us why?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.