The offense is better without Gabe Davis

Einstein

26 minutes ago, Process said:

The offense is better without Davis playing 90% of snaps****

They are not better without him. He still has value as a blocker and down field threat. He just isn't an every down, starting WR. 

As long as Josh isn’t throwing him the ball on 3rd down

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

correct:4 

The game should not have been that close.  Harty adds nothing. There was no deep threat. 

He played 14 offensive snaps, made a nice block on a cook swing pass for a few yards, and caught his only target and broke the tackle for YAC.  Between that and a few nice fair catches on short punts in the first half - i thought he added something.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

The Bills have done well in the absence of Davis, it has allowed the tightends and other receivers to make plays. That being said, Gabe is a good player and our best blocking WR. Going forward the Bills need to see that they can win with multiple personnel packages, but that being said, I’d love to have him back this Sunday. He’s been a chiefs killer in the past, and allows us to do different things.

Gabe is a great blocker and has a good mix of size and speed. He is a phenomenal player for the specific role he should be used on this team, and any team would struggle to replace that role at $3M. 

People are too caught up in WR 1/WR 2 production. We saw Brady be dominant with a couple of TE and a great slot receiver. Mahomes used the same formula. Everything doesn't have to be about the outside guys.  

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Gabe is replaceable and can be improved upon. I can safely say I don't understand anyone's defense of Gabe Davis, a blocking WR thats considerd your #2 WR, who has a limited route tree, and has never caught 60% of his targets in any season, that is weak sauce, or as you called it...trash. Passed due to move on from. 

Knox is here for another 2 to 3 years, no way out of this till then.

I mean... he's on this team for this season.  I don't think he'll be here next season.  Thats fine.  

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Gabe is replaceable and can be improved upon. I can safely say I don't understand anyone's defense of Gabe Davis, a blocking WR thats considerd your #2 WR, who has a limited route tree, and has never caught 60% of his targets in any season, that is weak sauce, or as you called it...trash. Passed due to move on from. 

Knox is here for another 2 to 3 years, no way out of this till then.

We can cut knox after next season and save around 7M

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

What, to run the wrong route or to drop the ball?

Brady was game planning what the D was giving them and it worked. The WRs were getting open and the Stillers adjusted so Brady adjusted...

he has fewer drops than Diggs, Kincaid  or Knox.  41 of his 45 catches were for 1st downs or TDs.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We can cut knox after next season and save around 7M

yeah still $7 million dead money but it is a savings. They would have to use a chunck of what we do save to sign a solid TE to relace him.

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He played 14 offensive snaps, made a nice block on a cook swing pass for a few yards, and caught his only target and broke the tackle for YAC.  Between that and a few nice fair catches on short punts in the first half - i thought he added something.  

A punt receiver who doesn't muff fair catches is performing the bare minimum for that job.  

He's good for a catch or two a game.  He can't be mentioned in a comparison with Davis. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A punt receiver who doesn't muff fair catches is performing the bare minimum for that job.  

He's good for a catch or two a game.  He can't be mentioned in a comparison with Davis. 

They were 30 yard end over end punts where he covered like 20 yards.  Thats field position.  

He's not davis, and he'll be released in the offseason most likely.  But for now, he's playing better than he has all season.  

48 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Well, we have a 40+ game history of Gabe dropping balls, or not being in tune with Allen, or being a complete non-factor. This game was just confirmation of what I long hypothesized.

I don’t even blame HIM per-say. He may be very good on another team. But I think his presence in THIS offense is a net negative. Nearly 40% of Allen’s INT’s occur when targeting Gabe. Then Gabe is out for a game and Allen doesn’t throw an INT for only the second time in 12 weeks. And he is often not on the same page with Allen on choice routes. And when that’s not happening, he drops his fair share of balls (his career catch rate is in the 50% range). And more Gabe on the field means less Shakir.

Lots of different factors here that represent a fairly LARGE sample size.

So even though Gabe can be a good player, I just don’t think he is right for this particular offense.

I don't disagree with the overall thesis "Gabe may not be right for this particular offense". I also agree that I'd rather see Khalil Shakir on the field than Gabe Davis.

But to suggest that the reason that the offense performed well the one game Gabe missed this season was BECAUSE he didn't play...I'm not so sure. Correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

Also, Shakir primarily plays in the slot. Gabe's ACTUAL replacement is, more often than not, Trent Sherfield. He didn't have any particularly meaningful contribution to the game yesterday. Did he even have a catch? I do like Deonte Harty and would kind of like to see him get more action in this offense.

Anyway...I'm sticking with one game not being a big enough sample size to make a statement as definitive as "the offense is better without Gabe Davis", but we can agree to disagree.

13 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They were 30 yard end over end punts where he covered like 20 yards.  Thats field position.  

He's not davis, and he'll be released in the offseason most likely.  But for now, he's playing better than he has all season.  

That may be true but not as a one of the WR in place of Davis (thread topic).

I put Gabe in the Knox bucket.  Good team players but can’t depend on him to catch the ball.  Can only throw to him if he’s wide open and can body catch it.  Same with Cook and drops.  90% of our throws need to be to Diggs, Kincaid and Shakir from here on out except for dump-offs.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he has fewer drops than Diggs, Kincaid  or Knox.  41 of his 45 catches were for 1st downs or TDs.

How many of Davis's drops and wrong routes led DIRECTLY to turnovers? It's a lot higher number than Diggs, Kincaid and Knox.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ok. And they let Pittsburgh get back into the game before putting them away.

The blocked FG let the Steelers back into the game. Granted the O didnt look potent in the 3rd Q but it wasnt the O that let Steelers get momentum. 

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

Also, Shakir primarily plays in the slot. Gabe's ACTUAL replacement is, more often than not, Trent Sherfield.

Nope.

Gabe being out yesterday changed things up (and I loved it).

They essentially used Kincaid as the #2 WR and Shakir as the slot.

When Gabe is in, it’s Gabe as the #2 WR and Kincaid as the slot. This limits how often Shakir can play. 

Therefore, Gabe being out gives Shakir more opportunity.

IMG-6541.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

correct:4 

The game should not have been that close.  Harty adds nothing. There was no deep threat. 

Agree that the game shouldn't have been that close. Same with the Dolphins game. Harty does add something. He has RAC ability. You seen it yesterday and he had another good RAC in a game earlier in the season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.