The offense is better without Gabe Davis

Einstein

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

We won 31-17…..we scored 30+ points and we kept the Steelers under 20. It’s the playoffs and that was a good dub!

All true. I just don’t think the offense was great. Allen was. I would probably say we didn’t miss Davis, but I wont say it was better.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

Is refreshing.

Gabe being out allowed us to get our playmakers like Hardy and Shakir on the field more often (more snaps to go around). And they both delivered at key times!

And it’s not just the opponent. That Steelers defense was #6 in the NFL in points against, and that was the MOST points the Steelers gave up all season (and that’s even with TWO missed field goals).

One game and you derive such a absolute conclusion! An N of 1 doesn’t cut it. The real Einstein is turning in his grave right now. Respectfully, a bad take.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

The Bills have done well in the absence of Davis, it has allowed the tightends and other receivers to make plays. That being said, Gabe is a good player and our best blocking WR. Going forward the Bills need to see that they can win with multiple personnel packages, but that being said, I’d love to have him back this Sunday. He’s been a chiefs killer in the past, and allows us to do different things.

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

Kind of a small sample size, no?

Well, we have a 40+ game history of Gabe dropping balls, or not being in tune with Allen, or being a complete non-factor. This game was just confirmation of what I long hypothesized.

I don’t even blame HIM per-say. He may be very good on another team. But I think his presence in THIS offense is a net negative. Nearly 40% of Allen’s INT’s occur when targeting Gabe. Then Gabe is out for a game and Allen doesn’t throw an INT for only the second time in 12 weeks. And he is often not on the same page with Allen on choice routes. And when that’s not happening, he drops his fair share of balls (his career catch rate is in the 50% range). And more Gabe on the field means less Shakir.

Lots of different factors here that represent a fairly LARGE sample size.

So even though Gabe can be a good player, I just don’t think he is right for this particular offense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

other than Diggs, the Bills WRs had 3 catches yesterday.   Harty had a good RAC on his one catch yesterday but otherwise hasn't done anything the past 3 weeks.  After the half, the Bills struggled---Murray was getting targets?!  On their 1st series they punted.  On the second series, 14 plays and only once was a WR targeted. FG was the result.  Next series, 2 WRs targeted in 9 plays, TD. 

With the lead slipping away, Allen attempted 10 passes in the second half, only 3 to WRs.  For the game, the RBs had more targets than Shakir and Harty.

I think they could have used Davis out there for sure.

This thread is just a cheap shot.

No, they should be scheming Shakir to be a target more often. It’s a shame he’s not seeing more targets.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

With all the Gabe stinks this and Diggs is toast that, I think this offense is working how it is supposed to work,  it is just more efficient this way. The ball doesn't have to go to WR 1 or WR 2 on the outside. We have 2 or 3 very reliable pass catchers in Diggs, Kincaid, and Shakir/Cook. Everybody else are role players. Make the defense cover everybody. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Well, we have a 40+ game history of Gabe dropping balls, or not being in tune with Allen, or being a complete non-factor. This game was just confirmation of what I long hypothesized.

I don’t even blame HIM per-say. He may be very good on another team. But I think his presence in THIS offense is a net negative. Nearly 40% of Allen’s INT’s occur when targeting Gabe. Then Gabe is out for a game and Allen doesn’t throw an INT for only the second time in 12 weeks. And he is often not on the same page with Allen on choice routes. And when that’s not happening, he drops his fair share of balls (his career catch rate is in the 50% range). And more Gabe on the field means less Shakir.

Lots of different factors here that represent a fairly LARGE sample size.

So even though Gabe can be a good player, I just don’t think he is right for this particular offense.

Your “data“ seems cherry picked. Also, without quoting a source how do we know if any of this is true? You are also missing all of his contributions and many games that include both his pass catching and his run blocking. None of what you have said here is predictive or backs your hypothesis. It is an opinion without substantial facts to back it up. The bottom line is the team is better when Davis is playing.

• Disagree 1

I really do hope that with Davis likely being back that Brady continues to use “ ALL THE WEAPONS” the offense has and not go back to a WR centric Dorsey style pass game, we need KC to have to cover everyone and every inch of the field, 

GO BILLS!!!

12 hours ago, Brand J said:

Davis >> Knox

NO, at best its a wash.

Gabe gets a lot more targets but catches 54% on avg per season (thats horrible) but as WR he gets more YPC 16.7 avg

Knox gets less targets and YPC but catches 64% of the passes with YPC 11.5 avg

Both are replaceable but Gabe will be let go this offseason. I wouldn't even offer him a home discount deal

Edited by ddaryl
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mojo44 said:

Your “data“ seems cherry picked. 

What is cherry-picked about catch-rate, INT’s when targeted, and not being on the same page as the QB? As a wide receiver, what could possibly be more important than running the right routes and catching the ball?

Of course we can agree to disagree on the offense being better without Gabe but i’m not sure how anything i’ve written is cherry picked.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That's way to black and white.

He has a role in the offense and has been valuable both as a pass catcher and a blocker. But we have also seen the emergence of of Shakir and even Harty, not to mention Kincaid, so I think that there's less of a need to rely on Gabe and his role doesn't need to be as big. I just hope that Brady keeps throwing multiple formations and moving the ball around to keep defenses off balance.

Just now, ddaryl said:

NO, at best its a wash.

Gabe gets a lot more targets but catches 54% on avg per season but as WR he gets more YPC 16.7 avg

Knox gets less targets and YPC but catches 64% of the passes with YPC 11.5 avg

Both are replaceable but Gabe will be let go this offseason. I wouldn't even offer him a home discount deal

Both have had some drop issues their entire careers.  Both are plus blockers.  Knox is probably our most consistent red zone target.  Davis is more of a downfield threat to stretch that last level of the defense either vertically or horizontally.

Both are good players - we act like they're trash, but both would play a lot of snaps if they were on... any of the remaining playoff teams most likely.  

I think the offense is better when Gabe isn't a focal point, which actually allows him to have more success. He does not thrive under the pressure of being a focal point, which is why he should not be WR2. Incorporating Shakir, Kincaid, Harty and Cook more by design and limiting plays designed to go to Gabe would be ideal. At season's end, he's going to want WR2 money and someone is likely going to pay him that, it just better not be the Bills. They need to draft a Diggs replacement and get WR1a/b production on a rookie contract.

Re Knox, the Bills are unbeaten since his return from wrist surgery... just sayin'. I think he's a more traditional TE with regard to blocking and offers some route running ability, which would be much more valuable if he would actually catch the damn ball more than 50% of the time. I do think his presence on the field gives defenses one more thing to worry about, though.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Both have had some drop issues their entire careers.  Both are plus blockers.  Knox is probably our most consistent red zone target.  Davis is more of a downfield threat to stretch that last level of the defense either vertically or horizontally.

Both are good players - we act like they're trash, but both would play a lot of snaps if they were on... any of the remaining playoff teams most likely.  

Gabe is replaceable and can be improved upon. I can safely say I don't understand anyone's defense of Gabe Davis, a blocking WR thats considerd your #2 WR, who has a limited route tree, and has never caught 60% of his targets in any season, that is weak sauce, or as you called it...trash. Passed due to move on from. 

Knox is here for another 2 to 3 years, no way out of this till then.

Edited by ddaryl

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They scored 38 against the Steelers with Watt and a healthy Fitzpatrick last year with Gabe. 

these overreaction threads to one game are insane. 

Watt did not play last year

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What is cherry-picked about catch-rate, INT’s when targeted, and not being on the same page as the QB? As a wide receiver, what could possibly be more important than running the right routes and catching the ball?

Of course we can agree to disagree on the offense being better without Gabe but i’m not sure how anything i’ve written is cherry picked.

Simple. You cherry pick what you assert to be a 40% interception read when Josh passage to him would you provide no support of evidence for. Nor do you account for all the value he adds. There is no compelling reason to believe your “data“. Even if it was true, which we don’t know, it’s correlational and cause-and-effect can’t be determined. My biggest problem with your take is that you presented as empirical evidence when it is only an opinion that is really not based on such evidence. Otherwise, yes we can disagree as to whether or not the team is better with him on the field. I believe it is. But that’s my opinion.

Edited by Mojo44

Just now, ddaryl said:

Gabe is replaceable and can be improved upon. I can safely say I don't understand anyone's defense of Gabe Davis, a blocking WR thats considerd your #2 WR, who has a limited route tree, and has never caught 60% of his targets in any season, that is weak sauce, or as you called it...trash. Passed due to move on from. 

Knox is here for another 2 to 3 years, no way out of this till then.

I don't really care about his catch% when the majority of his targets are lower percentage throws further down the field.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.