Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott

DJB

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Not something they’ve done historically. We’ll see if it changes with the injuries. I don’t expect it to. 

I agree with you 100%...but that is why we need to.  IMHO from here on out, do **** different. Give them stuff they don't expect or haven't seen.

3 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

blitzing mahomes is unwise. 

Yes that’s why teams don’t do it. He is one of the least pressured QBs in the league. 

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I agree with you 100%...but that is why we need to.  IMHO from here on out, do **** different. Give them stuff they don't expect or haven't seen.

I see no reason to. We’ve been holding our own vs them. What’s the reason to mix it up? Injury?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Yes that’s why teams don’t do it. He is one of the least pressured QBs in the league. 

I see no reason to. We’ve been holding our own vs them. What’s the reason to mix it up? Injury?

In part yes.  But that Vikings game last year I took my grandson to, I remembered post game him saying he knew what we were going to do and what routes Davis was going  to run.

That has just stuck with me.

Well, they invested all that money in the DL, and that unit's mostly healthy enough. Maybe they should just play with 7 down linemen. Imagine a defensive front of Floyd-Epenesa-Jones-Oliver-Joseph-Rousseau-Miller. Who needs linebackers? 

On a positive note, I feel a little better knowing that we are mostly pretty healthy in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. That's where the big games are won and lost - hopefully they can play to that strength on Sunday. 

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Put him on Kelsey and blitz kermit.

Blitzing Mahomes is a bad idea, he's probably the best scrambling (not running) QB in the league.  I think in the regular season game last year against them the Bills didn't blitz a single time and won.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, skibum said:

Well, they invested all that money in the DL, and that unit's mostly healthy enough. Maybe they should just play with 7 down linemen. Imagine a defensive front of Floyd-Epenesa-Jones-Oliver-Joseph-Rousseau-Miller. Who needs linebackers? 

On a positive note, I feel a little better knowing that we are mostly pretty healthy in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. That's where the big games are won and lost - hopefully they can play to that strength on Sunday. 

Just have Rousseau pancake Kelce at the line and force them to throw to rice and Toney 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Blitzing Mahomes is a bad idea, he's probably the best scrambling (not running) QB in the league.  I think in the regular season game last year against them the Bills didn't blitz a single time and won.

I hope so.

47 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s all guess work - my guess this was derived from the banged up bills guy which goes back to my original point about him.

How the hell is that not a fumble and a recovery by Spector?!? Sorry I know it’s off topic but it just pisses me off 🤬

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, since79 said:

Was at game, never saw Bernard’s injury.   May have avoided a worse injury.   Leg got whipped into rolling under, not a landing or planting of foot to take full body weight on impact.   Ugly as it looked a planted foot would have done more damage.   Hope for the best.  

Looks like what I call a rolled ankle.  Had many in my basketball days, but def will be tough for Bernard to be ready by next Sunday.  These guys are in better shape than I ever was, although they also trying to move at a much faster clip too.  Fingers crossed Bernard is using a hyperbaric chamber.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Looks like what I call a rolled ankle.  Had many in my basketball days, but def will be tough for Bernard to be ready by next Sunday.  These guys are in better shape than I ever was, although they also trying to move at a much faster clip too.  Fingers crossed Bernard is using a hyperbaric chamber.

They also have access to much better treatments around the clock

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 0017 said:

How the hell is that not a fumble and a recovery by Spector?!? Sorry I know it’s off topic but it just pisses me off 🤬

The theory from Steelers fans is it grazed off muths facemask while he was out of bounds but I think it’s completely inconclusive.  If that was ruled a fumble on the field as it should’ve been it stands 100%

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dickleyjones said:

blitzing mahomes is unwise. 

I’m spying and rushing 3 at least 75 percent of the time on most every play I think a pass is coming especially on 3rd and long.  Mahomes is going to run… a lot.  

I’ll show blitz up at the line but drop constantly.   Make those trash WRs make plays.    

Then as they get used to that, when it matters late bring 5-6.  

Or …… start with the latter plan then finish with the former.  Idk I’m just a fan.   

• Haha (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Chiefs fans say the Raiders ran a 5-2-4 and beat up their OL all game. They don’t think Buffalo has the horses up front to replicate that success, namely one Maxx Crosby. 

Didn’t need it the last couple times we beat them 😂. Man kc losin this one is a bit of a narrative changer as far as the head to head goes at least.  We’d be 4-1 against them in the last 5 with that 13 seconds loss as the only loss with 4 of those being at arrowhead 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Chiefs fans say the Raiders ran a 5-2-4 and beat up their OL all game. They don’t think Buffalo has the horses up front to replicate that success, namely one Maxx Crosby. 

I like the 5-2-4 because it dictates to Mahomes he won’t have all day to throw the ball.

I still like a 3-2-6 Cincy Bengals alignment, using Epenesa/Rousseau/Floyd as the Mahomes spy. Rush 3 spy with most athletic DL. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I like the 5-2-4 because it dictates to Mahomes he won’t have all day to throw the ball.

I still like a 3-2-6 Cincy Bengals alignment, using Epenesa/Rousseau/Floyd as the Mahomes spy. Rush 3 spy with most athletic DL. 

We don't have a dlineman fast enough to catch Mahomes. The spy would have to be Dorian.  I'm concerned about our pass rush which wasn't exactly dominant against Rudolph.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We don't have a dlineman fast enough to catch Mahomes. The spy would have to be Dorian.  I'm concerned about our pass rush which wasn't exactly dominant against Rudolph.

Mahomes isn’t fast, what he does have is top-level change of direction speed. Look at his 3-cone drill. His ability to juke is next level. Sam Hubbard is no more the athlete that Floyd, Rousseau or Epenesa is. The key to containing Mahomes is not buying the pump fake, or juke, and not running at him full speed, rather setting a wide base and getting wide on the toes and diving and wrapping up one of his legs or waist. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Steelers weren't holding the ball most of the time and they did get some shots in. Pass rush didn't need to be big last week, run defense did, and it was. 

I think this week's approach will be somewhat similar to last.  Stack up Pacheco and don't let him get going, keep Mahomes bottled up in the pocket as much as possible because he's better when he's allowed to escape and freelance.  Not that he runs that much, he moves around to buy time also which draws players out of position which he then exploits and he does it very well.  I'm not worried so much if we are sacking him 10 times. That's not going to happen.  Keep him penned in and squeeze the pocket on him, good lane discipline, etc.  Get hands up and deflect passes. It's not going to work all the time, and he's going to get out, but you need to limit it. You certainly don't blitz him very often if at all and if you do it you do it with people who can run.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.