Screen: what’s wrong with us ?

3 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

I mean: why aren’t we able to run screen plays more often ? 

What’s the problem with that ? 

Screens generally require more athletic and mobile OLines; ours is not necessarily suited to that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Defenses are terrified of Josh running around the side.

Tasker has said this on OBL repeatedly. Not that I know more than he does but I’m not sure I buy that. I can’t remember the last bills team to run a good screen in recent memory 

Just now, AlfaBill said:

Tasker has said this on OBL repeatedly. Not that I know more than he does but I’m not sure I buy that. I can’t remember the last bills team to run a good screen in recent memory 

That's like a chicken and the egg question, what good Bills offense are you wondering about before Josh was the QB?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That's like a chicken and the egg question, what good Bills offense are you wondering about before Josh was the QB?

Maybe the Bledsoe or Fitz eras? Nothing stands out after Kelly/Thurman 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

Screens generally require more athletic and mobile OLines; ours is not necessarily suited to that.

I mean our pulling/trap game has been excellent, but that does not translate to screens. We have seen RBs in the pass game though on blitz beaters. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Simon said:

Except even the ones using a couple wide receivers almost always fail. Allens ball placement is part of it, not certain of the rest.

31 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Chan Gailey

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Simon said:

You also need a defense that is all coming up the field. And the way teams play Josh that is rare. 

And Josh's placement on those shorter throws isn't elite IMO. If a receiver has to hesitate to secure the catch it means your element of surprise has gone.

EDIT: combination of all of those factors IMO.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

We have a bunch of great athletes on the line ... Dawkins is a pulling machine and super athletic, Spencer Brown is an Athletic freak , Mitch Morse is one of the more athletic centers in the NFL...

Our only phone booth is Torrence

Teams don't try and over rush the bills because Josh will kill you for lack of gap integrity... Theu generally try to contain the edge which also hampers screens 

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Middle screen 

I was just thinking that. I’d like to see them try it, I think? It seems like so much of the pressure comes up the middle. Now, is that harder to execute? Is there some other reason that’s a bad idea?  IDK

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.