Has the team lost complete confidence in Bass???

Know it has been discussed before & with weather conditions Sunday who knows how it will affect kicking decisions, but a real issue.

He hasn't attempted a long fg forever.  Yes there were two bad misses vs. Philly, yet only attempted 6 since then and made them all, however not one over 40.

Surprisingly even I would have been okay with him kicking a 52 yarder vs. Miami on the 4th & 2 Int. 

There have been other opportunities since Philly and the Bills chose to punt.  

Todays kicker are expected to kick 55 yarders routinely.

BTW he is 4 of 6 over 50 this year.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

You thought very hard about this topic…didn’t you?

Hours and hours of thought.....😜

Yep a throwaway, but thought there were opportunities to try, where they did not.  

Moderator merge or delete if needed.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Know it has been discussed before & with weather conditions Sunday who knows how it will affect kicking decisions, but a real issue.

He hasn't attempted a long fg forever.  Yes there were two bad misses vs. Philly, yet only attempted 6 since then and made them all, however not one over 40.

Surprisingly even I would have been okay with him kicking a 52 yarder vs. Miami on the 4th & 2 Int. 

55 yards is no gimme. You're making an assumption about just how often it's attempted and under which circumstances. At that point in the game, you weigh your effectiveness on 4th and short to end the game versus possibly giving the ball back with 8 extra yards of field position in a one-score game.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have an issue with coaches kicking long field goals on 4th and short in + territory so I was happy he didn’t kick in the Miami game.  

• Agree 1

I think they have lost confidence in him to an extent and I have long thought that there is a niggling injury.  There was a spell in the middle of the year where he could barely get a touchback off a kick off. I know there are times when the Bills kick short intentionally (although they have backed off that this year with half of their elite gunner tandem gone) but there was a spell in the middle of the season where he managed 11 touchbacks in 28 attempts. It has ticked up since then which might suggest he is getting healthier but I'm convinced there has been something going on physically. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

55 yards is no gimme. You're making an assumption about just how often it's attempted and under which circumstances. At that point in the game, you weigh your effectiveness on 4th and short to end the game versus possibly giving the ball back with 8 extra yards of field position in a one-score game.

It was early and was 7-0.  52 is not long.

2023 kickers were 153/222 or  68.9%

Since the Philly game the Bills seem hesitant to use him and trust his leg. 

Geez wasn't he supposed to be able to hit 60+ when drafted?  

Edited by Billsfan1972

29 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Hours and hours of thought.....😜

Yep a throwaway, but thought there were opportunities to try, where they did not.  

Moderator merge or delete if needed.

Why, it's a valid question and a valid thread imo

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Geez wasn't he supposed to be able to hit 60+ when drafted?  

He was. His leg definitely hasn't been right this year though. I watched him in warm ups at Tottenham and he was not much better than 50% from further out than 40. There has definitely been something going on with him physically this year. I can't be convinced otherwise.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they have lost confidence in him to an extent and I have long thought that there is a niggling injury.  There was a spell in the middle of the year where he could barely get a touchback off a kick off. I know there are times when the Bills kick short intentionally (although they have backed off that this year with half of their elite gunner tandem gone) but there was a spell in the middle of the season where he managed 11 touchbacks in 28 attempts. It has ticked up since then which might suggest he is getting healthier but I'm convinced there has been something going on physically. 

Niggling is a real word? 

• Haha (+1) 3

Honestly, I think that article Dunne wrote about McDermott caused McD to look at himself and how he manages games. I think he’s taken on a more aggressive approach since all that happened. Or maybe I’m just wishing that’s the case. 🙏

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.