QB Sneak Technique

Turk71

I'm having a hard time understanding why they have smaller guys (often only 1 guy) pushing Allen. If you are committed to the play why aren't there 2 huge linemen pushing him?

Also if you watch the Eagles, who are by far the best at it,  they stay low and immediately push straight forward. The Bills hesitate, don't stay low, and tend to go forward at an angle to the line; all of which makes the forward push less efficient. Just wondering why they don't study the Eagles and do it right.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Allen is pretty good at this.  Anthony Richardson is a big guy but didn't he have to miss 2 games after running this play early in the season?  The QB takes more of a beating than we know in that scrum.  But Josh probably enjoys the contact.  Afterall, he classifies himself as a "football player" not a quarterback.

Before Josh slipped (yes, he slipped) at the goal line in Nashville I remember hearing he was 13 out of 14 on one yard to go, and the other one was a snap problem. I’m not too upset.

Having big backs in gets you about as much push, and gives you the flexibility to step out of that look and go in another direction if matchups favor you. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Before Josh slipped (yes, he slipped) at the goal line in Nashville I remember hearing he was 13 out of 14 on one yard to go, and the other one was a snap problem. I’m not too upset.

Having big backs in gets you about as much push, and gives you the flexibility to step out of that look and go in another direction if matchups favor you. 

I have no problem Josh sliding over to the B gap but you can still line up a big ugly (Spencer) behind him.  More leverage than a 200lb RB.

I think Tom Brady was like 199 for 200 over his career on QB sneaks, without any special play design or anyone pushing him from behind.  Why couldn’t someone like Josh Allen, who’s the same size as Brady and much more athletic, duplicate that success?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I have no problem Josh sliding over to the B gap but you can still line up a big ugly (Spencer) behind him.  More leverage than a 200lb RB.

I’m not talking a little speed back, but the active big back or Gilliam or something that gives you other options if you opt to spread them out if they bring in all beef.  

But it doesn't’ have to be one or the other. I like mixing it up and having options. 

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That would work better too!

Yeah, if you want a RB who is actually smaller than the QB taking snaps in the red zone. It seems we are overthinking this. 

38 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why they have smaller guys (often only 1 guy) pushing Allen. If you are committed to the play why aren't there 2 huge linemen pushing him?

Also if you watch the Eagles, who are by far the best at it,  they stay low and immediately push straight forward. The Bills hesitate, don't stay low, and tend to go forward at an angle to the line; all of which makes the forward push less efficient. Just wondering why they don't study the Eagles and do it right.

Oh, so you consider 2 of the biggest RBs as small?

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Maybe the risk for injury is higher by getting THAT low. As strong as what Allen is, I doubt he’s as strong as Hurts, that guy squats 600 pounds. 

I'd prefer (at least some of the times) to line up 4 wide... keep the defense honest covering them.

I like Josh's chances to get 1 yard vs 6 man front (at most).

Could even have RB start in his normal spot but come up hard/fast and slam him forward.

And/or Knox in motion to help out with the push.

Defense not sure if pass/run. Keep 'em guessing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bills14221 said:

Why not have Fournette line up under center and take the snap with David Edwards or Bates behind him?  If we aren’t going to fake it, isn’t that a better option?

Too much risk of a fumbled snap?

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Complete guesses with nothing to back it up

Brady is not good at his job

Josh doesn't like to just plow ahead

Josh only goes left

They are setting up some type of trick play down the road?

Morse is not nearly as good Kelce

Hurts has stronger legs than Allen

Real wrath of God stuff...

Fire and brinstone...

Dogs and Cats living together...

MASS HYSTERIA!!!

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.