Baylon Spector played well

Einstein

2 hours ago, In Summary said:

His 2022 RAS score only knocked him on height (6'0")/weight (233 lb)/bench, but was otherwise great to elite in speed, explosion, and agility.  I think he fits in to the Bills' physical vision of a LB.  Depth is keeping the Bills' dream alive.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Yeah, ran a 4.6 40. Pretty good for a LB who is a downhill hitter. Kinda like a poor man's Van Ginkle. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Williams too aggressive. He's been boom or bust in his opportunities. He's either making a great play or getting completely fooled and out of position. They can't trust him

perhaps Williams can clean this up with more experience.  But now is not the time for that experience.  

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

May be time to go back and regrade some of the recent Beane drafts/UDFAs. There's a lot of contributors there from other than rounds 1-2, both for us (Benford, Dodson, Bernard, Shakir, Knox, now even guys like Spector) and for other teams (Singletary/Moss have been important contributors for playoff/near playoff teams)

Bean is almost better in later rounds.  

LB have been great this year.  Babich for DC if McD goes with one. 

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

Just watched the game again and he exceeded my expectations. Granted, my expectations were low when I saw him jog onto the field...

I also think it's telling that McD went to Spector instead of Dorian Williams. 

What I noticed is that Spector is a bit more reserved than our other LB'ers. He doesn't burst right off the snap, instead opting to wait a split second. This can be bad when you need a short distance stop, but in some ways that proved advantageous on Sunday night. Instead of immediately rushing and getting himself caught in the fray of linemen, that split second wait helped him diagnose the play and make a clean tackle.

Below is an example of this that I posted to my Twitter:

Think Williams is last years Spector.  Give Williams another year and likely have some good young depth at LB.  Bernard, Spector, Williams, Dodson's only 25.  If Milano injury takes something away from his game and he never plays at former level, we're still ok for a couple years with rookie contracts. LB may be one position we don't need to draft at as would likely mean cutting a good player to add a rookie.

Bills began the season looking great on defense, McD is great as DC, then injuries happened.  Mid season defense was terrible, was all McD's fault, he can't handle DC role, needs to be fired.  Maybe just maybe the problem was needed time for the replacements to come up to speed.  Now looking very strong again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

We have an absolute STUD coach in Bobby Babich. 

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agreed, he is going to get a shot at DC, I wish the bills would give him the title before he leaves

Agree about Babich as a rising -- but still unsung -- coaching commodity. Gave a press conference much earlier in the season that was VERY impressive, and obviously we're seeing serious progression from basically every single LB on the depth chart. 

However, it's much more likely Eric Washington is "next up" in the internal defensive coaching pipeline. Feels to me like McDermott wouldn't bypass him for a more junior guy. Frazier, the DC, was also the Assistant Head Coach before Washington got promoted. Seems almost obvious who the next DC will be, if McD relinquishes the title. 

4 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Bobby Babich is definitely one of the unsung heroes for this team. First he was the safeties coach during the peak Hyde/Poyer years. Then he became the LB coach last year and immediately Edmunds and Milano both had the best years of their career. Now this year Bernard is having a breakout year, Dodson is a beast against the run all of a sudden, and our 7th round pick from last year is playing at a high level in a must win game. Absolutely floored he isn’t a DC in this league yet.

Wasn't that his dad, though (the safeties coach in the best Hyde/Poyer years)? 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What are the chances that this defense just makes LBs? 
Milano

Edmunds (if you want it, not looking for an argument)

Dodson

Bernard

Now this guy steps in…maybe it’s the system 

It’s definitely a factor, along with that defensive front.

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Bean is almost better in later rounds.  

LB have been great this year.  Babich for DC if McD goes with one

I was just talking about this same thing with a buddy. Don’t love McD but if he gets us to the promised land then maybe Babich should be the DC and then McD humbles himself and hires a big moments coordinator to be in his ear as well lol

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

You forgot Van Demark was impressive on TD drive

How many teams can say they replaced their #1 CB, their WLB, and their LT all in the same game and the replacements barely missed a beat. Beane's strength has always been the depth. I would put our 2nd team against any other 2nd team in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

How many teams can say they replaced their #1 CB, their WLB, and their LT all in the same game and the replacements barely missed a beat. Beane's strength has always been the depth. I would put our 2nd team against any other 2nd team in the league.

And even those who don't like McDermott for gameday decision making should acknowledge he is an excellent Monday to Saturday coach. They get guys prepared to play. Their backups are coached up well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agree about Babich as a rising -- but still unsung -- coaching commodity. Gave a press conference much earlier in the season that was VERY impressive, and obviously we're seeing serious progression from basically every single LB on the depth chart. 

However, it's much more likely Eric Washington is "next up" in the internal defensive coaching pipeline. Feels to me like McDermott wouldn't bypass him for a more junior guy. Frazier, the DC, was also the Assistant Head Coach before Washington got promoted. Seems almost obvious who the next DC will be, if McD relinquishes the title. 

Wasn't that his dad, though (the safeties coach in the best Hyde/Poyer years)? 

I think you are correct re Washington and players seem to respect and enjoy playing for him.    If the Bills hire a minority as a coordinator dont we get something like a  supplemental third draft pick?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.