Von Miller report?

JMM

I'm curious if this shows Miller was relying on his athletic ability and not enough on his technical skill set...or maybe everything was based on his ability to get bend and he never developed a more nuanced technical fundamental set of rush moves.

It's really the only thing that makes sense...obviously they had to have seen Miller wasn't able to do the same from an athletic perspective, like elite hall of fame level athleticism, but they had to have figured he was going to be able to rely on the technical part of his game to still be impactful, but why hasn't he?

Like Beane and McD aren't morons, as much as people might have issues with them, they are pro level talent evaluators maybe one or two people on this board are even close to the same range in terms of player evaluation... there has to be a reason they keep playing him...what is that reason and it's not that because they're morons, just please for the sake of respect for me typing this all out on a phone, please brainstorm a reason that isnt that to help further the discussion (though I fully support trolling me with "because they're morons moron" lol)

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Fans are harsh. The guy was dominant last year up until the injury.

And I used to be able to dunk a basketball, but now I can't jump over the phonebook.  No offense or blame to Von or Beane or whatever, but Father Time remains undefeated.

14 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I'm curious if this shows Miller was relying on his athletic ability and not enough on his technical skill set...or maybe everything was based on his ability to get bend and he never developed a more nuanced technical fundamental set of rush moves.

It's really the only thing that makes sense...obviously they had to have seen Miller wasn't able to do the same from an athletic perspective, like elite hall of fame level athleticism, but they had to have figured he was going to be able to rely on the technical part of his game to still be impactful, but why hasn't he?

Like Beane and McD aren't morons, as much as people might have issues with them, they are pro level talent evaluators maybe one or two people on this board are even close to the same range in terms of player evaluation... there has to be a reason they keep playing him...what is that reason and it's not that because they're morons, just please for the sake of respect for me typing this all out on a phone, please brainstorm a reason that isnt that to help further the discussion (though I fully support trolling me with "because they're morons moron" lol)

Because he seemingly lost 20% of his athleticism overnight.  There's no "techniquing" your way to success at edge rusher when you lack baseline NFL athleticism. 

Maybe Von makes a miraculous recovery between now and training camp and can provide us with a little juice as a situational pass rusher in 2024.  But he clearly isn't physically capable of really competing on the field of play at this time.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Because he seemingly lost 20% of his athleticism overnight.  There's no "techniquing" your way to success at edge rusher when you lack baseline NFL athleticism. 

Maybe Von makes a miraculous recovery between now and training camp and can provide us with a little juice as a situational pass rusher in 2024.  But he clearly isn't physically capable of really competing on the field of play at this time.

Tre White definitely was called finished when he returned last year. Then he finally was getting back to normal almost 2 years after the injury.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I think he all about bending and he cannot bend

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tre White definitely was called finished when he returned last year. Then he finally was getting back to normal almost 2 years after the injury.

Sure, I'm hoping for the best with Von, but Tre White was 26 when he injured his ACL in 2021.  Von Miller turns 35 in March. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Fans are harsh. The guy was dominant last year up until the injury.

But...isn't that the whole point??? Are we supposed to play him because of what he was???

19 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think he all about bending and he cannot bend

Disagree. He had not just amazing bendabilty,  perhaps the best I've seen since Bruce, but also great explosion and several special moves.  But that all depended on that physical ability which is not there at this point. It may come back as it did after his last knee blowout, but we can't wait at this point. He needs to be inactive from here on out, and let's give him another chance next year.  We are stuck with him anyway cap wise.

Edited by JMM

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Doesn’t mean we should judge his current play on what he was. It’s perfectly reasonable to believe he’s toast at this point.

It's equally reasonable to believe that he is still recovering and will look better every week and certainly be better next year than he is now.  Given his age and injury, it's reasonable to wonder what dropoff he'll eventually have, but pretending that his current condition is his forever condition starts to seem unreasonable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Sure, I'm hoping for the best with Von, but Tre White was 26 when he injured his ACL in 2021.  Von Miller turns 35 in March. 

You don’t have to hope for anything. Let’s stop bashing the guy like he had anything to do with his struggles. He was exactly what we wanted before injury.

• Like (+1) 1

This whole "he'll never recover" mentality makes no sense. He's not even 85% back at his current level. It's very reasonable to expect him to be improved next year. Will he have a falloff due to being 35 instead of say 32-33 before that? Yes. Will he recover "100%"? Unlikely. However, people writing him off as "done" don't have a lot of evidence for that. Someone who tears an ACL at 34 can absolutely recover most of the way back, but they will generally recover far slower than a 21 year old. If he puts the work in, he can get back to NFL level. Elite level? Who knows, probably not. Still doesn't make him "done". 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

That's what I'm saying though, they obviously think he has enough athleticism to be out there or they wouldn't be playing him...my point is let's assume they are playing him because he is showing at least the athletic floor required to play the position, so why isn't he playing at least a little bit ok?

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

So in fairness to Miller, did anyone on the DL make an impact last night? 

The top 6 tacklers were all back 7 guys

Jones is the only DL with more than one tackle credit.

Dodson got credit for a sack but I really don't recall it.

I am not sure any DL even got close to Tua

I think Dodson got credited for a sack but it wasnt on Tua, it was on the Running back who was going to throw it but nobody was open.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.