Gabe Davis PCL sprain, not considered major

Process

1 hour ago, Logic said:

can't really say I noticed any drop-off once Gabe left the game.

There was no drop, in fact, several WR/TE/RB got a chance to CATCH a ball (yes, drop, off helmets too).

While I appreciate his "blocking" that should never be the first adjective given to your team's WR2. 

I think Gabe and Josh are friends and he is respected. However, he's almost always nearby one of Josh's INTs.

41 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm believing that Josh has too much confidence in him, and goes to him in tough situations too much.  Make him utilize someone else.  

BINGO. I think you hit it. Josh is overconfident in his friend. Tosses the ball up or expects Gabe on a hot route and they screw up.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I really want to love Gabe Davis.  It's frustrating

I don't. He had had more than ample opportunity and failed. Move ind give someone else a chance.

1 hour ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

He hurt himself while tripping over his own feet...sounds about right. Good guy who had some great games in spots for us, but he can stay on the bench until he finds a new home next year as far as I'm concerned.

What out kool... the Homer's are out in full force 🤣

I like Gabe as the teammate Gabe, but not as a reliable receiver Gabe.  Him and Allen don't seem to have that chemistry connection.  They have been on different pages all season long.  I'd rather the targets go to Shakir who is about the only guy on the team with good YAC potential.  I mean Cook does but his hands suck.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

He hurt himself while tripping over his own feet...sounds about right. Good guy who had some great games in spots for us, but he can stay on the bench until he finds a new home next year as far as I'm concerned.

That's not it 🤣

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Keep him out. I'm sick of the miscommunication between him and Josh. And it's happened so many times this season it's clearly very largely if not entirely on Gabe.

Thanks for all you've done Gabe, but I hope you never suit up for the Bills again.

I disagree.  Allen is at fault a lot as well

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Rest him.  Even though he did have one of his long bombs against the Steelers.  

I'm believing that Josh has too much confidence in him, and goes to him in tough situations too much.  Make him utilize someone else.  

Two bombs in that game even. The second one nerfed his average down from 98 ypc to about 75. 

And Josh got picked throwing it to Davis as well, lol.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I hope he sits.  Offense was much better with him on the bench. 

Was it really?  They moved the ball between the 20's with ease with and without him.  The long Shakir screen pass was all due to Davis blocking two guys.

They scored 7 points with him in the game and 7 without him in the game.  

Not saying he is that critical to their success but he has made some very big plays for this team at times.  

most of this board (including myself for a brief moment) would have sat Knox. And yet look at him bending and twisting his way to a TD.  

They should not need Davis to beat Pittsburgh.  It gives him 2 weeks to heal.  Should be a good game to see what they can get out of Sherfield and Shakir. 

FYI

Sherfield YPC 7.8

Davis YPC 16.6

Shakir YPC 15.7

19 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I think he's got one more "playoff Gabe" performance left in him.

I hope so!! Disappointing since Colts and KC playoff huge games, but then we had other WR to free him up (brown Beaz)

38 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Was it really?  They moved the ball between the 20's with ease with and without him.  The long Shakir screen pass was all due to Davis blocking two guys.

Not saying he is that critical to their success but he has made some very big plays for this team at times.  

most of this board (including myself for a brief moment) would have sat Knox. And yet look at him bending and twisting his way to a TD.  

They should not need Davis to beat Pittsburgh.  It gives him 2 weeks to heal.  Should be a good game to see what they can get out of Sherfield and Shakir. 

FYI

Sherfield YPC 7.8

Davis YPC 16.6

Shakir YPC 15.7

They’ve been used differently both within (situation, positioning, number of plays, etc.) and outside of games (practice, reps). Can’t really compare YPC, not enough sample size yet. 

I like Davis, for whatever reason Allen’s interception rate is higher with him than any other receiver. We may miss him, we may find another weapon. Thing is, nobody has a ton of film on Sherfield, less tendencies. 

Sherfield will make the most of his opportunity. It’s his shot, go for it. 

Edited by KellyToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Him and Allen don't seem to have that chemistry connection.

Josh and Gabe are best friends, 17 has said Gabe is very football smart. They have off field chem. Smart and a reliable WR2 aren’t the same thing. 

I think Josh is over confident in his friend and wings it up for grabs or Gabe runs on opposite hot routes.

Maybe Brady fixes this hot route / punt case now. 

Edited by Since1981

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

FYI

Sherfield YPC 7.8

Davis YPC 16.6

Shakir YPC 15.7

Davis sucks and I can't wait for him to be gone this offseason.

6 hours ago, Since1981 said:

There was no drop, in fact, several WR/TE/RB got a chance to CATCH a ball (yes, drop, off helmets too).

While I appreciate his "blocking" that should never be the first adjective given to your team's WR2. 

I think Gabe and Josh are friends and he is respected. However, he's almost always nearby one of Josh's INTs.

BINGO. I think you hit it. Josh is overconfident in his friend. Tosses the ball up or expects Gabe on a hot route and they screw up.

For sure. Allen used to do it w Knox. But Kincaid has stolen almost all the passing targets. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Right now the WR FA class includes the following (of course subject to change)

-Tee Higgins

-Mike Evans

-Odell Beckham

-Tyler Boyd

-DJ Chark

-Marquise Brown

-Calvin Ridley

-Michael Pittman

-Curtis Samuel 

Plus it's a deep WR draft class. Sure, it only takes one team to go big...but I don't think he even hits the $13.5M AAV that Spotrac projects. 

Move some money around and sign Michael Pittman please, he’s a stud! Davis is not 😏

3 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Josh and Gabe are best friends, 17 has said Gabe is very football smart. They have off field chem. Smart and a reliable WR2 aren’t the same thing. 

I think Josh is over confident in his friend and wings it up for grabs or Gabe runs on opposite hot routes.

Maybe Brady fixes this hot route / punt case now. 

By chemistry connection I mean they aren't on the same page.

5 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

This picture says it all ... The ball is just coming into his hands, where are his eyes looking ?

Plus, look at that "clapping" BS he's doing with his hands. His fundamentals have been so erratic with the most foundational part of his job: catching the football. I recall Jerry Rice declaring (in some rando interview or media piece or something) that there are only two ("proper") ways to catch a pass: thumbs together or pinkies together. That's it. 

Davis often points his fingers of both hands directly AT the incoming ball like a weirdo, or points his hands in opposite directions like an RB taking a handoff, or whatever other nonsense he comes up with on the fly. It's bizarre. 

• Agree 1

Davis does many things well -- he is physical in the run game (remember, he received a game ball in the Dallas game even though he did not catch a pass). I just wish he was more reliable in terms of his route running and pass catching.

I actually do hope that he is healthy enough to play against Pittsburgh -- because, due to the bad weather and Pittsburgh's tough defense, Davis would definitely make a big impact in a ball-control offense sort of day.

Speaking of Pittsburgh, for years I have thought that what the Bills REALLY need is a clone of Hines Ward. A guy who is physical and can do all those things that Davis does do well -- but at the same time has great hands and runs precise routes.

Just now, 2003Contenders said:

Davis does many things well -- he is physical in the run game (remember, he received a game ball in the Dallas game even though he did not catch a pass). I just wish he was more reliable in terms of his route running and pass catching.

I actually do hope that he is healthy enough to play against Pittsburgh -- because, due to the bad weather and Pittsburgh's tough defense, Davis would definitely make a big impact in a ball-control offense sort of day.

Speaking of Pittsburgh, for years I have thought that what the Bills REALLY need is a clone of Hines Ward. A guy who is physical and can do all those things that Davis does do well -- but at the same time has great hands and runs precise routes.

That Hines player is Shakir. I’ve been pounding that analogy since last year 

they need a peerless price #wr2

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.