Have the Bills drawn many pass interference calls?

I was just wondering and I really couldn’t find much research on it as if anyone on the board had any stats on this but it doesn’t appear the Bills receivers draw many defensive holding or pass interference calls like some other teams. 

I honestly can’t even remember the last time one of the Bills receivers drew a flag Im sure they have but just can’t remember them generating many meaningful PI calls recently. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I think our experience and continuity in the seconday has contributed to the lack of PI calls this season. Poyer, Hyde, and Johnson have been playing together for 5+ years now.  Douglas is a 7-year player and our 1st round cb is still benched until he can be more consistent.

Zone teams are probably likely to get slightly fewer holding calls, but you need to hand it to McDermott for keeping this defense performing at a high level despite the loss of Milano, White, Daquon for 10 games, and an ineffective Von Miller.

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m sure there were others but I can’t recall any specific since kohou on diggs

I can’t say our wr group is particularly fast/agile causing guys to grab to avoid being beat or great at creating the right contact in contested catches

to the latter id be curious how they coach them on coming back to the ball etc… as drawing the call is a bit of technique too 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Diggs had a great chance to draw a PI last week if he just stops running and let's the defender crash into him on the underground ball Josh threw while scrambling. The defender had no idea where the ball was.

Davis has had at least two other such plays where he makes little to no effort to come back to an underthrown ball.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I was just wondering and I really couldn’t find much research on it as if anyone on the board had any stats on this but it doesn’t appear the Bills receivers draw many defensive holding or pass interference calls like some other teams. 

I honestly can’t even remember the last time one of the Bills receivers drew a flag Im sure they have but just can’t remember them generating many meaningful PI calls recently. 

Your impression was not wrong.  The Bills are the worst team in the NFL at drawing pass interference this season.   They have drawn three pass interference calls this season which is tied for 31st with New Orleans  They are 24th in yards gain from DPI calls. San Francisco (4),  Philadelphia (5), and Miami (5), have also drawn very few pass interference calls.  The top teams drawing DPI were Jacksonville (18) and Dallas (15).  The average was 8.19 DPI per team.

The Bills have been called for pass interference 8 times, which is about league average.  Houston and Philadelphia has been called the most at 14 times, while Jacksonville has only been called for DPI once.   So Jacksonville has the best differential, an amazing +17, while Philadelphia has the worst at -7.

In 2022, the Bills received 8 pass interference calls (average was only 7.28 per team last year) and was called for 8 times also.  Last year Kansas City was called for pass interference the most times (15) while benefitting the least amount of times (3 times, tied with Tennessee and Chicago ) for a net of -12.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?view=team&year=2023

Edited by Billy Claude
grammar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

26 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Only Mahomes gets holding and DPI after his turnovers. It’s amazing how many flags are thrown when a Mahomes pass goes airborne. 

It's the ones where the flag comes out after the result that are especially galling.

1 minute ago, Billy Claude said:

Your impression was not wrong.  The Bills are the worse team in the NFL at drawing pass interference this season.   They have drawn three pass interference calls this season which is tied for 31st with New Orleans  They are 24th in yards gain from DPI calls. San Francisco (4),  Philadelphia (5), and Miami (5), have also drawn very few pass interference calls.  The top teams drawing DPI were Jacksonville (18) and Dallas (15).  The average was 8.19 DPI per team.

The Bills have been called for pass interference 8 times, which is about league average.  Houston and Philadelphia has been called the most at 14 times, while Jacksonville has only been called for DPI once.   So Jacksonville has the best differential, an amazing +17, while Philadelphia is the worse at -7.

In 2022, the Bills received 8 pass interference calls (average was only 7.28 per team last year) and was called for 8 times also.  Last year Kansas City was called for pass interference the most times (15) while benefitting the least amount of times (3 times, tied with Tennessee and Chicago ) for a net of -12.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?view=team&year=2023

worst.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Only Mahomes gets holding and DPI after his turnovers. It’s amazing how many flags are thrown when a Mahomes pass goes airborne. 

Based on the data, the DPI only happens very rarely, 

KC is the beneficiary of DPI 6 times this year and only 3 times last year (last in league).  Just to extend the data further back, in 2020 KC was called for DPI 17 times (#3) and beneficiary 4 times (T30) for a net of -13, while in 2021 KC was called for DPI 13 times (#3) and beneficiary 6 times (T27) for a net of -7.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I can’t say our wr group is particularly fast/agile causing guys to grab to avoid being beat or great at creating the right contact in contested catches

to the latter id be curious how they coach them on coming back to the ball etc… as drawing the call is a bit of technique too 

I’ve seen a few of the most egregious uncalled jersey grabs I’ve ever seen against our receivers this year lol maybe they were isolated incidents but that leads me to believe there’s a lot going uncalled 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’ve seen a few of the most egregious uncalled jersey grabs I’ve ever seen against our receivers this year lol maybe they were isolated incidents but that leads me to believe there’s a lot going uncalled 

it’s possible. 

though I think you see a bunch of that in other games so it’s hard to grasp if these guys are getting it worse than other WRs in that regard 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

it’s possible. 

though I think you see a bunch of that in other games so it’s hard to grasp if these guys are getting it worse than other WRs in that regard 

Its consistently inconsistent and has been all year.   The only consistency seems to be that PI or holding has been committed after Mahomes tosses a critical INT. 

10 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Based on the data, the DPI only happens very rarely, 

KC is the beneficiary of DPI 6 times this year and only 3 times last year (last in league).  Just to extend the data further back, in 2020 KC was called for DPI 17 times (#3) and beneficiary 4 times (T30) for a net of -13, while in 2021 KC was called for DPI 13 times (#3) and beneficiary 6 times (T27) for a net of -7.

Nice work. I'd also be interested to include defensive holding calls in there as well, since the two penalties basically only differ on whether the ball was in the air at the time of contact.

10 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Diggs had a great chance to draw a PI last week if he just stops running and let's the defender crash into him on the underground ball Josh threw while scrambling. The defender had no idea where the ball was.

Davis has had at least two other such plays where he makes little to no effort to come back to an underthrown ball.  

I was going to post this.  It was on the first drive.  I was pissed.

12 hours ago, NoSaint said:

This - the fact we can’t create separation, no reason for opponent to clutch and grab. 

I gotta believe opposing DCs instill this into their secondaries while preparing for us. 

11 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He wouldn't have gotten the flag... Just like he didn't get any flags in Philly game on obvious holds and the missed call on the Gabe Davis facemask pulling in the endzone (was that philly as well?)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.