What happened to the OLine and the run game?

Dubie54

It's well known that Dallas is a different team on the road, but it's amazing to me that we can gouge them for 266 on the ground with the O Line looking better than they have all year, and then go 105 and 127 respectively against the Charges and Pats. I didn't watch the Pats game but listened to about half of it and it seems that there was constant pressure in the backfield and many plays were getting blown up early.

Is the Pats line really that much better than Dallas? It's concerning that we can't keep a consistent run game offense going and we are definitely going to need that if we expect to make through the playoffs.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mrags said:

The line absolutely sucked last game. It’s only because of Allen he didn’t get sacked 10+ times. 

Absolutely not.  Allen held onto the ball WAY too long.  He had dump down opportunities and just ignored them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Absolutely not.  Allen held onto the ball WAY too long.  He had dump down opportunities and just ignored them.

I’m sure it’s both of what you guys said to an extent.  Pats were rallying to the underneath throws very fast so Josh probably held the ball to hit some chunk plays more often than he should’ve.  The interior oline did not pass the eye test at all in the first half though.  They were getting smoked…that’s been the common theme when the offense looks bad 

doesn’t mean josh is blameless but it definitely contributes

im not sure what changed at halftime but they seemed to be holding up better in the second half 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 4

His y/a has dropped considerably the past 2 games, 3.0 and 3.5 y/a. He also had 20 and 16 carries. No clue what the OC is thinking but 5-6 of those carries should be pass receptions as Cook is a lethal pass catcher

Edited by motorj

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m sure it’s both of what you guys said to an extent.  Pats were rallying to the underneath throws very fast so Josh probably held the ball to hit some chunk plays more often than he should’ve.  The interior oline did not pass the eye test at all in the first half though.  They were getting smoked…that’s been the common theme when the offense looks bad 

doesn’t mean josh is blameless but it definitely contributes

im not sure what changed at halftime but they seemed to be holding up better in the second half 

Morse had a talk with them!  Hey I'm just quoting what I read in article.

But do think the "talk" resulted in them figuring out what was the issue and doing things different in 2nd half.  What that was, he didn't say and beyond my knowledge to see from watching game.

7 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Miami doesn't have anywhere near the Dline that NE and LA have. I suspect our run game and Oline will look much better Sunday night. We've got to let Allen run!

Who are these Dline standouts on LA?

Not excusing anyone or anything, but the configuration/composition of Dallas and NE couldn’t be more different. 

Dal is all speed and pressure, using light guys to fly around the field and make plays. Focus is trying to get to a game situation where the D can pin their ears back and fly to the QB. 

NE basically has two fire hydrants (Joe Marino term) at DT, meaning they won’t chase anyone down, but they also are difficult to move, and very heavy (for this era) LBs that clog the middle. Their objective is to keep it close at the end of the game and beat you by wearing you down. They win by still having gas in the tank at the end. 

IMO we match up very well against Dal/MIA type Ds and match up not very well against NE/Jets types. 

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Miami doesn't have anywhere near the Dline that NE and LA have. I suspect our run game and Oline will look much better Sunday night. We've got to let Allen run!

Take good care of your team MVP playing with a stinger. Be smart. 

6 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Not excusing anyone or anything, but the configuration/composition of Dallas and NE couldn’t be more different. 

Dal is all speed and pressure, using light guys to fly around the field and make plays. Focus is trying to get to a game situation where the D can pin their ears back and fly to the QB. 

NE basically has two fire hydrants (Joe Marino term) at DT, meaning they won’t chase anyone down, but they also are difficult to move, and very heavy (for this era) LBs that clog the middle. Their objective is to keep it close at the end of the game and beat you by wearing you down. They win by still having gas in the tank at the end. 

IMO we match up very well against Dal/MIA type Ds and match up not very well against NE/Jets types. 

We’ve beaten teams with good defensive lines all year

were simply better than Dallas

The Patriots is a divisional game is divisional games are usually tight because they know each other really well

The chargers game was weird. The team was probably jetlagged, and we were facing new coaches with new tendencies.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

That’s his #1 problem, Allen won’t  do the dump off/ check down pass when it is the correct / only real option, it’s frustrating as hell, being his  idol was Tom Brady, the most masterful short pass QB  pretty much ever…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I will give you my take, been saying this for years,  the Bills give up on the run to soon and every team in the league knows it too.

Reminds me of High school football.

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Stingers are weird he could be 100% fine minutes after it happens or his shoulder could feel stiff for a couple weeks…there’s really no way for us to know. 

My son is 30 and went back to the Doc a couple years ago due to a stinger he had in High School. It’s a stretched nerve, and nothing to take lightly. Please be smart with our franchise QB!  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.