Bad Preseason Takes

hondo in seattle

I was thinking today about how wrong I was about this season.   While I thought our regular season record might be worse than last year's because of the tougher schedule, I was confident we had a better team for a bunch of reasons...

Defense

*  Floyd would make our pass rush better.

*  Poona would make our run D better.

*  There was no way we'd suffer as many injuries to key players as we did in 2022.

*  McD would be a more aggressive play-caller.  

*  We'd miss Edmunds though teamwork and scheme would compensate for his loss.  

Offense

*  Sherfield, Harty, and Shakir would provide strong depth behind Gabe and Diggs.

*  Gabe's ankle was bothering him in '22; maybe he'd be better in '23.

*  Dorsey was a rookie OC in '22; maybe he'd learn and grow.

*  The OL would be better and might even transition all the way from bad to merely mediocre.  

*  Harris would be an upgrade over Motor: bigger, stronger, faster.  

*  If Dorsey would use him correctly, Cook could be a good safety valve for Josh.  But he would never be an every-down back.

*  Kincaid could add a wrinkle to the offense.

Clearly, I was wrong more than I was right.  

What do you got?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Mine:

Deonte Harty was a hugely underrated signing. He has flown under the radar throughout his career. He will take the top off the defense, be a key deep threat for Josh, and will add speed and explosiveness to our offense. His contract was a bargain compared to what he'll provide for the team.

......Whoops.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Mine:

Deonte Harty was a hugely underrated signing. He has flown under the radar throughout his career. He will take the top off the defense, be a key deep threat for Josh, and will add speed and explosiveness to our offense. His contract was a bargain compared to what he'll provide for the team.

......Whoops.

Bills have kept him under the radar. They'll spring him on Miami in week 18.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Mine:

......Whoops.

I still think this.🫣

• Haha (+1) 1

The Bills ARE a better team. Floyd did make our pass rush better. McDermott IS a more aggressive play caller, by far. The Oline is a lot better. Kincaid added a lot to the offense.

Most of what you said was right. There are a few things a little off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillsDad51 said:

Bills have kept him under the radar. They'll spring him on Miami in week 18.

See I don't buy that. You don't waste 9M on a player to unleash his abilities on week 17.  He's unfortunately been underwhelming and will be released in the off season.  I was 150% on board in going after Floyd. When the news broke I was ecstatic. Gabe's been a bust for awhile. 

I was 100% wrong on believing the OL would remain mediocre or regress. They've been a pleasant surprise along with Cook.  Shakir's role will be expanded next year but Sherfield is gone too.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

Mine:

......Whoops.

This is mine too. I watched his limited Saints highlights and thought he would give us a real vertical threat as well as take on some of the jet sweeps we got out of lil Dirty when Daboll was here. I'm an idiot.

• Like (+1) 2

I think if we had the same amount of injuries but they were spread out a little more between the offense and defense we would’ve been much better off.  

those jags and pats losses our defense was straight up depleted 

A lot more good teams than usual were winning ugly offense/good defense type games this year.  Dlines are really getting after it

either way I think we’re gonna finish right on what I expected at 11 wins…the path there was quite strange though lol 

better team but harder schedule and a lot more ridiculous  plays made by the other team in close games…last year it was mostly contained to the Vikings game 😂. We are that ridiculous fg in the eagles game away from sitting at 9-5 right now with a 3 game win streak over 3 playoff teams 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

34 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I really expected a lot more out of Sherfield and better production from our TE in 12 personnel.  

Yeah, I thought Sherfield would be a revelation as the #3 guy.  With Diggs doubled as often as he is, I expected Josh to go to Sherfield a lot more than he has.  

28 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

See I don't buy that. You don't waste 9M on a player to unleash his abilities on week 17.  He's unfortunately been underwhelming and will be released in the off season.  I was 150% on board in going after Floyd. When the news broke I was ecstatic. Gabe's been a bust for awhile. 

I was 100% wrong on believing the OL would remain mediocre or regress. They've been a pleasant surprise along with Cook.  Shakir's role will be expanded next year but Sherfield is gone too.

Post was a subtle attempt at humor. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

The vast majority of this board thought Bernard was a weakness, when in reality he’s a strength. 

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

I was one of those people. Also thought it would cause Milano to struggle.  Boy oh boy was I wrong and I’m glad I was.  Damn shame Milano went down because he was an absolute terror those first few weeks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Wondering if any of us thought that we would have one of the top CB units in the league like we do.  Beane scooped up Douglas to plug and play for the injured Tre White, Taron has upped his game, and Benford has been a pleasant surprise as the #2 corner.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.