Bills at Chargers, Game Week Thread Sat. 8 pm on Peacock (7 pm for us Flyover Folks)

Beck Water

With Herbert and Allen ruled out the Bills margin for error has increased quite a bit. I was worried, at the schedule release, that this game would be a trap. I’m not sure that the Chargers have enough firepower even if the Bills bring their “C” game. I’m hoping for the “A” game obviously but feel pretty good about this one now. I don’t expect the Bills to dominate like last week. I don’t expect the Chargers to roll over like last week. I’m thinking something like 31-20. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/

Bosa has apparently had his practice window open to return from IR, but has a game status "out".

Keenan Allen out as expected.

Surprised by DaQuan Jones listed as "questionable" despite limited participation in today's practice.  My guess would be today went well for Jones after practicing yesterday, and they think he's very close if not there - so they went ahead and put Phillips on IR to make room for him.

45 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I hadn't heard anything about Phillips being on IR?

EDIT: Apparently he is. That means he's out for the rest of the regular season. Back for playoffs?

4 games on IR for Phillips.  So he isn't eligible to play in the WC round.  Per Sal C.

2 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Physicality? Like when he gets muscled all game long and is a giant liability in the run game? I don't think I've ever seen such a soft large human in my life. He used to add quickness/agility in the pass rush, but even that has sucked this season aside from last week. 

He has been a career long liability against the run, not for lack of enthusiasm but due to his high center of gravity. Reminds me of John McCargo- sort of a Weebles Wobble body type. When he's healthy he has good feet and it allows him at his size to be effective as a pass rusher. He's an asset as a #3DT and he gives some flexibility against some offenses but he just can't make up for that playing high/tackling high in the run game. His emotional side has some yin and yeng to it too- he sometimes is so fast to celebrate that he misses the end of plays.

Edited by AKC

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

How young do you think the crowd here is? :)

Yes, the Steelers had some backups in. But they were VERY GOOD backups. 

James Harrison, an All-Pro and potential HOFer.

Willie Parker, who had three straight thousand yard seasons and multiple pro-bowlers, after that game.

Antwaan Randle El.

Tommy Maddox.

etc.

We lost that game because our statue of a QB fumbled and the Steelers returned it for a TD.

That game has such a weird reputation around it.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Steelers leave their starting O-line in for the entire game?  As you pointed out, them playing their 3rd string RB was actually a massive upgrade for them, and Fast Willie Parker capitalized on that game to have a role in the playoffs that year, then went on to be their starting RB for years afterward.  Likewise James Harrison - playing "the Steelers backups" was in some ways harder than playing their starters!  Obviously not Tommy Maddox so much, but still.

I also think that Bills team was somewhat overrated by their winning streak of blowouts against terrible teams that had given up on the season.  I'm not saying they sucked, but those blowouts made us look elite in DVOA and other analytics, and I never felt like we were elite that year.  Really just a marginal playoff team with good talent and subpar coaching.

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Why would they activate Elam from IR to take Phillips spot?  Wouldn't it make more sense to activate DaQuan Jones, since they went so far as to list him as "questionable"?

Slightly related question:

Does anyone know the deadlines for practice squad elevation and for declaring inactives, for a Saturday nite game?

Thanks.  I'm thinking they'll elevate Eli Ankou and possibly Fournette.

I'm with you on thinking Fournette will be elevated.  You get 3 for the regular season and unlimited in the playoffs, right?  With Ty Johnson banged up, it would make a ton of sense to have Fournette active, even if it's just insurance in case Johnson aggravates the injury in game.

DaQuan getting activated and taking Phillips' roster spot makes a ton of sense and would be awesome.  For some reason, my gut says that DaQuan doesn't play for at least another week, but fingers crossed.

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

With Herbert and Allen ruled out the Bills margin for error has increased quite a bit. I was worried, at the schedule release, that this game would be a trap. I’m not sure that the Chargers have enough firepower even if the Bills bring their “C” game. I’m hoping for the “A” game obviously but feel pretty good about this one now. I don’t expect the Bills to dominate like last week. I don’t expect the Chargers to roll over like last week. I’m thinking something like 31-20. 

How do they score 20 without Herbert and Allen ?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Cash said:

That game has such a weird reputation around it.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Steelers leave their starting O-line in for the entire game?  As you pointed out, them playing their 3rd string RB was actually a massive upgrade for them, and Fast Willie Parker capitalized on that game to have a role in the playoffs that year, then went on to be their starting RB for years afterward.  Likewise James Harrison - playing "the Steelers backups" was in some ways harder than playing their starters!  Obviously not Tommy Maddox so much, but still.

I also think that Bills team was somewhat overrated by their winning streak of blowouts against terrible teams that had given up on the season.  I'm not saying they sucked, but those blowouts made us look elite in DVOA and other analytics, and I never felt like we were elite that year.  Really just a marginal playoff team with good talent and subpar coaching.

I'm with you on thinking Fournette will be elevated.  You get 3 for the regular season and unlimited in the playoffs, right?  With Ty Johnson banged up, it would make a ton of sense to have Fournette active, even if it's just insurance in case Johnson aggravates the injury in game.

DaQuan getting activated and taking Phillips' roster spot makes a ton of sense and would be awesome.  For some reason, my gut says that DaQuan doesn't play for at least another week, but fingers crossed.

I don't think they activate DaQuon. I think they take it slow with him for now. He has a 21-day window, so there is no need to hurry it. I think they activate him next week and he gets a few live reps against the Pats****. I think they roll this week with Poona.

As for Ty, I wouldn't be surprised to see them rest the shoulder this week, get him back to full health if possible. No need to push it, they still have Murray. Get Fournette in there to get a few reps, maybe, like you say.

I'm going to guess Phillips's roster spot will be taken by Elam, but it needs to be someone who can play special teams. Curious they listed him as Questionable after being a full participant...

• Agree 4

LOTS of tickets up for sale still for the game. As low as $39 per ticket for upper section.

Wish I could go this year as I try to make it to at least one close game a year of where i might be, whether in Socal or FL or whatever.

I am sure Bills Mafia will basically have it as a home stadium for the Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

This is such a "take care of business" game.  As many have said - w/ the Chargers' injuries, there are simply no excuses.

Honestly, if we lose, I'll be disappointed - but it will be proof positive that we don't deserve anything this year.

But the good news is that we won't lose.  This team has found their identity with Brady at OC.  This will be a great Saturday night showcase to let the league know we're really back, and gearing up for a good run.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Process said:

Just saw Keenan Allen is out. It's very hard to imagine Easton Stick moving the ball on this defense. 

With the travel/short week/chargers potentially playing hard after embarrassing loss, I could see the offense not being as sharp this week. But I have to imagine 15+ points wins you the game. 

With that said I also wouldn't be shocked to see us put up 50.

It'd be nice but if we're shutting them down defensively and take a commanding lead the score would probably be similar to the Dallas game maybe a bit more. Main thing is when we win with a commanding lead with the run game working like it is we run out the clock. Hope we have a game like that, have to stay focused every game is necessary now.

5 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Physicality? Like when he gets muscled all game long and is a giant liability in the run game? I don't think I've ever seen such a soft large human in my life. He used to add quickness/agility in the pass rush, but even that has sucked this season aside from last week. 

Really?  In your life!  Are you going to go to the mattresses with that hot take?

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Why would they activate Elam from IR to take Phillips spot?  Wouldn't it make more sense to activate DaQuan Jones, since they went so far as to list him as "questionable"?

Slightly related question:

Does anyone know the deadlines for practice squad elevation and for declaring inactives, for a Saturday nite game?

Thanks.  I'm thinking they'll elevate Eli Ankou and possibly Fournette.

I’m purely speculating here, but Elam had his practice window open on December 6th. He is over two weeks into his 3 week window to be activated. It’s about time to make a decision - Elam being listed as questionable leaves the door open to activation from IR.

Phillips being placed on the IR opens a spot on the 53. That spot in my mind is filled by Elam right now because you have Poona Ford or Eli Ankou (as you stated) to make active to replace Phillips. I wouldn’t add Ankou to the 53 because you subject him to waivers whenever you decide to remove him. 

Jones was just activated on Monday/Tuesday and we know that he won’t necessarily be ready until next week at the earliest, so it’s not time to have him occupy an active roster spot just yet. When Jones is ready I bet they move on from Poona Ford.

It’s simply a timing thing in my mind. I don’t necessarily think Elam will be active this week, but they’ll want him available down the stretch here… Shorter will likely have his season end after this 3 week practice session wraps up. He can begin to focus on taking Sherfield’s spot in 2024. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’m purely speculating here, but Elam had his practice window open on December 6th. He is over two weeks into his 3 week window to be activated. It’s about time to make a decision - Elam being listed as questionable leaves the door open to activation from IR.

Phillips being placed on the IR opens a spot on the 53. That spot in my mind is filled by Elam right now because you have Poona Ford or Eli Ankou (as you stated) to make active to replace Phillips. I wouldn’t add Ankou to the 53 because you subject him to waivers whenever you decide to remove him. 

Jones was just activated on Monday/Tuesday and we know that he won’t necessarily be ready until next week at the earliest, so it’s not time to have him occupy an active roster spot just yet. When Jones is ready I bet they move on from Poona Ford.

It’s simply a timing thing in my mind. I don’t necessarily think Elam will be active this week, but they’ll want him available down the stretch here… Shorter will likely have his season end after this 3 week practice session wraps up. He can begin to focus on taking Sherfield’s spot in 2024.

Fair enough.  I was thinking they might want to get DaQuan just a few game reps before they try to depend on him.  Which means you want Poona on the roster to get 30-40% of the snaps while you ease DaQuan in with 10 or so reps.  Cutting ties with Poona means you're depending on DaQuan to be full go all game before you see him take a snap. 

That's why I thought DaQuan first, bring Elam up later made sense.  You've still got a week on Elam.

Just now, Beck Water said:

Fair enough.  I was thinking they might want to get DaQuan just a few game reps before they try to depend on him.  Which means you want Poona on the roster to get 30-40% of the snaps while you ease DaQuan in with 10 or so reps.  Cutting ties with Poona means you're depending on DaQuan to be full go all game before you see him take a snap. 

That's why I thought DaQuan first, bring Elam up later made sense.  You've still got a week on Elam.

Is there room for both Jones and Ford at once? Ford takes Phillips spot, who would be inactive to allow Jones to be active? 

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

Is there room for both Jones and Ford at once? Ford takes Phillips spot, who would be inactive to allow Jones to be active? 

They've been keeping 9 DL active, 5 DE and 4 DT.   I was thinking under the circs, they might consider rolling with 4 DE.  When he's active, Kingsley Jonathan has been mostly a ST guy, gets single digit defensive snaps (and a lot of ST).  So if you give DaQuan Jones those snaps and run with 4 DE you can activate both Jones and Ford.  Does depend on stuff I don't know, like how well they like Ford on ST vs Jonathan, and that probably neither of us know - like how likely Leonard Floyd is to get through the entire game.

And wouldn't the same argument go for Elam?  Why put him on the 53 man this week unless we're going to activate him, and if we activate him, whose spot would he take?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.