Big profile of Jason Peters - does anyone know who the bills assistant coach would have been?

dave mcbride

On 12/20/2023 at 10:47 AM, 2003Contenders said:

When he was originally brought in, I am not sure that anyone on the Bills (or in the league) knew what to do with him. Was he a jumbo TE? Offensive tackle? Defensive lineman? Purely special teams? So it may not be that the coach in question was even an offensive line coach. May have been special teams -- or even a defensive coach.

I can't remember the full chronology of Peters' tenure here with the Bills. I do know that he played some special teams (blocked a punt, I recall) and some DT as well before he settled in at RT. I believe he became the starting RT in his 2nd season (2005?) and did so well that he signed a contract extension a year or so later (2006 or 2007). Then he was moved to LT -- and was unhappy that he was being paid like a RT, even though he had developed into an elite LT. That's when he had Parker started playing hardball... and was traded to Philly after the 2008 season.

it wasn't that he played hardball. it was clear after the signing which was before camp and preseason that he was going to be moved to LT. the bills refused to have any good faith discussions with him once he established himself as an LT.

2004 coaching staff, from the Wayback Machine

Tom Clements
Offensive Coordinator

Mike Mularkey
Head Coach

Jerry Gray
Defensive Coordinator

Bobby April
Special Teams Coordinator

Don Blackmon
Linebackers Coach

Rusty Jones
Director of Physical Development and Assistant to the Head Coach

Tim Krumrie
Defensive Line Coach

Chuck Lester
Defensive Assistant

Jim McNally
Offensive Line Coach

Mike Miller
Tight End / Offensive Quality Control Coach

Brad Roll
Strength & Conditioning

Eric Studesville
Running Backs Coach

Steve Szabo
Defensive Backs Coach

Tyke Tolbert
Wide Receivers Coach

Frank Verducci
Assistant Offensive Line / Tight Ends Coach

Sam Wyche
Quarterbacks Coach

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2023 at 11:36 AM, Rubes said:

Still remember him making one of the best plays I've ever seen in a game by a big guy. Blocked a punt against Cincinnati, ran after it and recovered it in the end zone for a TD. Couldn't believe a guy that large could move fast enough to do all of that.

I remember that well, Rubes. The Bills also used him as a wedgebreaker on kickoffs, back when wedges were still legal. That was something to see; he was like a bowling ball, absolutely devastating. What an athlete …

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:39 AM, Man with No Name said:

honestly sounds like a story that might be made up. convenient for a 20 year nfl player to have had a quote like this said to him in the beginning, but doesn't remember who. 

it's just a neat little quote to fit a narrative. i'll give it 50/50. 

definitely sounds made up

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

definitely sounds made up

It has come to my attention that Lomas Brown was a Bills coaching intern (unlisted) that year under Mouse McNally. Brown played for McNally for two years with the Giants in the late 1990s near the end of his career, and was under his supervision as intern. He played o-line for 18 years, so that solves the riddle! https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowLo00.htm (also, @Just Jack). 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

I take every "My teacher/coach/whoever called me a loser for no discernible reason and look where I am today" story with a gigantic grain of salt.

I had a bio teacher in HS that told my mom I wasn't working hard enough. It pissed me off and I got 95% + on every assignment the rest of the year and smacked the first 100 on the fridge when I got home

That bastard made me try 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I had a bio teacher in HS that told my mom I wasn't working hard enough. It pissed me off and I got 95% + on every assignment the rest of the year and smacked the first 100 on the fridge when I got home

That bastard made me try 

I had a chem teacher call me lazy once and it really stuck with me.

I almost sent him a link to my TBD account to prove what I was capable of when I set my mind to something.

• Haha (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It has come to my attention that Lomas Brown was a Bills coaching intern (unlisted) that year under Mouse McNally. Brown played for McNally for two years with the Giants in the late 1990s near the end of his career, and was under his supervision as intern. He played o-line for 18 years, so that solves the riddle! https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowLo00.htm (also, @Just Jack). 

so an unlisted coaching intern  was calling out Peters as a loser--and this lit a spark in him?

this becomes less believable with each new detail lol

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so an unlisted coaching intern  was calling out Peters as a loser--and this lit a spark in him?

this becomes less believable with each new detail lol

Based on the source I got it from, I'm quite certain that it's the truth (that Brown was the former player, that is). LOL all you want.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't know why you're calling me out.  I'm not claiming to know which coach it was.  I just found a list of the coaches the Bills listed on their website that year.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.