NFL owners approve game in Brazil for 2024 (5 total: 3 London/1 Germany/1 Brazil)

chongli

13 hours ago, khlax3 said:

Within the next few seasons there will be 16 international games a year. Every team will have 8 home, 8 away, and 1 international game. Likely split between 6-7 countries. 

I can definitely see this, and at least it would be fair.

They should expand the season by 1 week in order to add an extra bye week (not extra games) to help players recover. They had 2 bye weeks before. I hated it, but it gives players more of a chance to heal and miss fewer games. 

Each team would have their regular bye week, plus a bye week after their international game. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

KILL ME NOW.

The day will come when there is NFL on every day/night of the week...and the players' health will be the least of the league's concerns.

And they will make it an international sport, if they can.

Why is any of that bad?

Brazil shares timezones with us. It's one of the easiest places to do something like this.

4 minutes ago, Irv said:

I've banned Brazil. I went.  It was a horribly long flight, dangerous, and filthy.  Não adianta.  

A couple decades ago my wife took a job where she was going to have to travel to Brazil. She went through all of the training - including what to do if you are kidnapped, bought a cheap wedding ring, etc. She never went because the business demands of the Brazilians were setting the company up to be victimized by fraud and the deal fell through. That all made me never want to go there.

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

A couple decades ago my wife took a job where she was going to have to travel to Brazil. She went through all of the training - including what to do if you are kidnapped, bought a cheap wedding ring, etc. She never went because the business demands of the Brazilians were setting the company up to be victimized by fraud and the deal fell through. That all made me never want to go there.

I went to a place named Campinas.  Every building had graffiti.  The porches/balconies on every apartment building unit had chain link fence covering them to prevent break-in's.    The airport had two terminals.  Only one was completed.  The builders ran off with the money for the other second terminal.   I was told not to wear my watch if I went outside and to never leave the hotel at night.   It was like being in a minimum-security prison.  They're big into steaks down there. Every one I tried to choke down had whip marks on it where the jockey was hitting it.   Never again.    

Edited by Irv

33 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

They are also an embargo country. Shipping stuff to Brazil is a pain in the A$$.

How in the world that place got the Olympics is mind boggling.

Edited by Mark Vader

Every team has to give up a home game once every eight seasons, however even with that rule, there will be many teams not wanting to give up more than just the one obligated home game every eight seasons. If the NFL overexpands international games to eight per season, teams will need to give up home games more often.

I have also heard rumors the Cowboys could be the team hosting the Brazil game, for what it's worth.

Edited by chongli

With today’s announcement of next season’s game in Brazil, the NFL will have played a regular or preseason game in 5 of the 7 continents. Africa and Antarctica got next

I want to see the Bills take on the Dolphins in Antarctica. Still wish it were colder, Coach McDaniel?

Games  in 2024:

3 London

1 Munich

1 Sao Paolo

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-ownership-votes-to-double-international-games-inventory-beginning-in-2025

"In addition to the game in São Paulo, the 2024 NFL International Games will see three games played in London: two at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and a third at Wembley Stadium, where the Jacksonville Jaguars will play a home game as part of a multi-year partnership. A fifth game will see the NFL back in Germany for a third consecutive year, returning to Allianz Arena in Munich"

Edited by chongli

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

KILL ME NOW.

The day will come when there is NFL on every day/night of the week...and the players' health will be the least of the league's concerns.

And they will make it an international sport, if they can.

The Thursday games are the worst. 

Health aside (but a huge concern!), the Thursday product sucks. The short week makes the whole thing terrible. I would prefer Saturday, Sunday, Monday, with no team playing Monday then Saturday. 

The sport is way too hard on the body to shorten the time between games, keep people healthy, and put out a good product. 

Watch them add a Tuesday/Wednesday game and then make all practice optional. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.