Debunking false narrative that von miller was offside on 4th down play

dave mcbride

13 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

He was never offside more Mahomes whining. The “Chefs” are feeling pressure going 1 and 3.  

I have zero idea why this offside call is even an issue.  Toney is clearly lined up offside.  Von Miller looks like he is most likely not.  This penalty is called all the time as it should.

The Chief's 8-4 record was a mirage almost as much as the Steeler's 6-3 record.

Kelce has lost a step and a half and their WR group went from mediocre last year to just plain bad this year.   If it wasn't for reputation, Mahomes would probably be barely be a top 10 QB in most of the media's ratings this year.

Edited by Billy Claude

13 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I have zero idea why this offside call is even an issue.  Toney is clearly lined up offside.  Von Miller looks like he is most likely not.  This penalty is called all the time as it should.

The Chief's 8-4 record was a mirage almost as much as the Steeler's 6-3 record.

Kelce has lost a step and a half and their WR group went from mediocre last year to just plain bad this year.   If it wasn't for reputation, Mahomes would probably be barely be a top 10 QB in most of the media's ratings this year.

Carl Cheffers in the pool reporter interview after the game:

Question: "Andy Reid just told us that it’s his experience that it is customary for an official to tell the head coach and even sometimes tell the receiver that they need to back up or that they’re lined up Offside. Did that happen in this case? And does that process usually work?"

Cheffers: "Yes, ultimately, if they look for alignment advice, certainly we are going to give it to them. But ultimately, they are responsible for wherever they line up. And, certainly, no warning is required, especially if they are lined up so far Offside where they’re actually blocking our view of the ball. So, we would give them some sort of warning if it was anywhere close, but this particular one is beyond a warning.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Cheffers: "Yes, ultimately, if they look for alignment advice, certainly we are going to give it to them. But ultimately, they are responsible for wherever they line up. And, certainly, no warning is required, especially if they are lined up so far Offside where they’re actually blocking our view of the ball. So, we would give them some sort of warning if it was anywhere close, but this particular one is beyond a warning.”

LOL. I love the "blocking our view of the ball" part. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Carl Cheffers in the pool reporter interview after the game:

Question: "Andy Reid just told us that it’s his experience that it is customary for an official to tell the head coach and even sometimes tell the receiver that they need to back up or that they’re lined up Offside. Did that happen in this case? And does that process usually work?"

I’m trying to remember and it’s not going well but the Bills lost a game few years ago when the exact same penalty was called on a game winning TD being reversed due to a player misalignment and the ref never never notifying the Bills player as well. 

there was the same consternation from Bills fans but ultimately it was the right call.  

I wish I could remember that game. 

1 minute ago, The 9 Isles said:

I’m trying to remember and it’s not going well but the Bills lost a game few years ago when the exact same penalty was called on a game winning TD being reversed due to a player misalignment and the ref never never notifying the Bills player as well. 

there was the same consternation from Bills fans but ultimately it was the right call.  

I wish I could remember that game. 

It was almost never called before this year, which is what people were mad about most likely...been called 11 times(12 with Toney's) this year versus twice last year and once the year before...it's a point of emphasis for the NFL this year, not sure why teams are surprised in Week 14.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

See the second tweet here. I felt this deserved its own thread given the fact that this lie is spreading. The other tweet here is interesting too - toney never looks to the sideline for guidance.

He timed it perfectly based on Taylor’s early drop…only way to make him look Offside is to post a misleading screenshot a split second after the snap which is what some chiefs fans have taken it upon themselves to do lol 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It was almost never called before this year, which is what people were mad about most likely...been called 11 times(12 with Toney's) this year versus twice last year and once the year before...it's a point of emphasis for the NFL this year, not sure why teams are surprised in Week 14.

Yes that’s why it was such a controversial call in the game I’m thinking of. I remember specifically thinking “why wouldn’t the official warn the Bills player before the snap?” 

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

TONEY is the incompetent buffoon this year and with his All Pro Dropsy record in 2023, that substandard clown ain’t getting cut any breaks!

4 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

Yes that’s why it was such a controversial call in the game I’m thinking of. I remember specifically thinking “why wouldn’t the official warn the Bills player before the snap?” 

Typically the officials only tell them if they ask...you will see the WR point at the official or give them a "thumbs up" sign to ask "Am I good?" and then you will see the official either nod or give them a move back hand motion.  Toney never did that, he was looking at the ball the entire time which makes it even more mind boggling since he HAD to know he was offside.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

From Peter King

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/nfl-cowboys-dak-prescott-eagles-chiefs-ravens-fmia-week-14-peter-king 

Andy Reid was steaming because he said officials always give teams warnings before violations like this. The replay on CBS showed Toney clearly over the line of scrimmage. One former official told me Sunday night it wouldn’t be uncommon early in a game for coaches and players to be warned on a play like this, but he said it wouldn’t happen later in the game, particularly on a clear violation such as this. The ref, Carl Cheffers, told a pool reporter: “Certainly, no warning is required, especially if they’re lined up so far offside where they’re actually blocking our view of the ball. We would give them some sort of warning if it was anywhere close, but this particular one is beyond a warning.” The pool reporter asked if it was an egregious violation. “Correct,” Cheffers said.

I listened to all i could stand of a interview of homes complaining about th out come of the game being changed in his mind by a ticky tac call that they made about Toney being off sides by a little & then Andy Reid saying his hand was over the line . OMG !!!

The dude was lined up in the neutral zone how much more blatant did it need to be to guy was OFF SIDES Mahomes get over it . It sucks when calls are actually made that are for real & relevant to the game . 

I find it funny all the talk this morning is about an offside call where the receiver was clearly in the wrong. If this call was against one of our own, say Deonte Harty (as it was in an earlier game), my rage wouldn’t be directed at officiating, I’d be pissed at Harty for not knowing where he was on the field. Chiefs fans anger is misplaced. 

Im upset Kelce was allowed to get that open on the crossers. Where’s the DB communication? Even if it’s man, if someone crosses your face that tight, stay to your side, switch responsibilities. It’s like defenders on a basketball court. It was ridiculous one of them got picked off with no other DB in the picture. What is the secondary coach teaching his players?

Edited by JayBaller10

8 minutes ago, T master said:

I listened to all i could stand of a interview of homes complaining about th out come of the game being changed in his mind by a ticky tac call that they made about Toney being off sides by a little & then Andy Reid saying his hand was over the line . OMG !!!

The dude was lined up in the neutral zone how much more blatant did it need to be to guy was OFF SIDES Mahomes get over it . It sucks when calls are actually made that are for real & relevant to the game . 

Mahomes is still mad about last week vs the packers and is trying to make it look like it happened to them twice in a row imo 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Typically the officials only tell them if they ask...you will see the WR point at the official or give them a "thumbs up" sign to ask "Am I good?" and then you will see the official either nod or give them a move back hand motion.  Toney never did that, he was looking at the ball the entire time which makes it even more mind boggling since he HAD to know he was offside.

Not only that, but that usually happens when the receiver is split way wide and close to the official, but not close to the ball.  Toney was just off the line AND the nose of the ball was conveniently right at the hash mark, and Toney is just off the other hash mark, so it should be obvious.

41 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It was also called last night in the Eagles-Cowboys game, so that makes 13 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.