Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

2 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

People should not be giving lavish gifts to people that have decision making power over them. Either said or unsaid (this doesn't need to be said though, it should be part of their organizations annual compliance training)

McD: either says above or says something like that wasn't appropriate, or again doesn't even say it because he assumes it's obvious to people why you shouldn't accept that gift

Hall: I don't know what to tell you, they just really like me I guess

McD: but you're not here to be friends with them, you're their coach...

Or

Hall: I got this truck from my players!

McD: when, I didn't see them give it to you here?

Hall: at my house last night, we had a party

McD: (during covid restrictions) What do you mean?! I am paying you to coach the players, not he friends with them

___

Neither of those sound unreasonable to me as a reaction

That's because you haven't read the article

which says 'Multiple sources indicate that McDermott was especially harsh toward Hall and paid him a salary so low it was insulting.'

So since we're making up stories, maybe the wideouts all hated McDermott so much they decided to stick it to him for mistreating and underpaying their position coach and buy him a gift that was sure to drive McDermott crazy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

"Tearing a person down". 

ad04f7b4-af43-40d2-a21d-5800b6e04b28_tex

As far as the Buffalo Bills fan base goes, I think there are two major portions of it: the portion of the fanbase that wants a Lombardi Trophy before they die, and a portion of the fanbase who don't care so much about winning but are overly emotional and weird when it comes to the head coach and some of the players.

All I want is to see this team win a Super Bowl. That's the bottom line. And it's a bottom line business, quite frankly. And Sean McDermott ain't it. It's not happening with him. Period.

And if we have an owner who refuses to cut ties with him for whatever reason (as reported very recently), then that Super Bowl portion of the fanbase is going to use whatever there is available and do whatever they have to do to put enough pressure on Pegula to make it happen.

No one is "gleefully tearing a person down" or "ripping the joy out of someone" or any of the other dramatic statements you made. I like McDermott the man. Respect him a ton. But he's just not good enough. Flat out. He's not. 

The other emo portion of the fanbase can cry their little hearts out about it all they want but they're going to have to pull up their big boy pants and deal. This is the NFL. They should focus more on the Bandits or Canisius if they can't handle it.

😂

On 12/7/2023 at 7:38 AM, PBF81 said:

Yeah, this was pretty obvious before the season started.  It was also just a matter of time before this came out.  

McD's increasingly running out of scapegoats.  

Our franchise really doesn't need this.  

Obvious to whom?

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

"Tearing a person down". 

As far as the Buffalo Bills fan base goes, I think there are two major portions of it: the portion of the fanbase that wants a Lombardi Trophy before they die, and a portion of the fanbase who don't care so much about winning but are overly emotional and weird when it comes to the head coach and some of the players.

All I want is to see this team win a Super Bowl. That's the bottom line. And it's a bottom line business, quite frankly. And Sean McDermott ain't it. It's not happening with him. Period.

And if we have an owner who refuses to cut ties with him for whatever reason (as reported very recently), then that Super Bowl portion of the fanbase is going to use whatever there is available and do whatever they have to do to put enough pressure on Pegula to make it happen.

No one is "gleefully tearing a person down" or "ripping the joy out of someone" or any of the other dramatic statements you made. I like McDermott the man. Respect him a ton. But he's just not good enough. Flat out. He's not. 

The other emo portion of the fanbase can cry their little hearts out about it all they want but they're going to have to pull up their big boy pants and deal. This is the NFL. They should focus more on the Bandits or Canisius if they can't handle it.

Yeah I've been losing faith in McDermott more and more, doesn't make this article any better, the fact that it aligns with what you want apparently doesn't somehow make it bulletproof.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HardyBoy said:

People should not be giving lavish gifts to people that have decision making power over them. Either said or unsaid (this doesn't need to be said though, it should be part of their organizations annual compliance training)

McD: either says above or says something like that wasn't appropriate, or again doesn't even say it because he assumes it's obvious to people why you shouldn't accept that gift

Hall: I don't know what to tell you, they just really like me I guess

McD: but you're not here to be friends with them, you're their coach...

Or

Hall: I got this truck from my players!

McD: when, I didn't see them give it to you here?

Hall: at my house last night, we had a party

McD: (during covid restrictions) What do you mean?! I am paying you to coach the players, not he friends with them

___

Neither of those sound unreasonable to me as a reaction

At the very least, those are plausible and rational considerations. If one was attempting to understand the complexity of a situation that would bear upon decisions about coaching personnel, one could not leave them out, without prejudice. I haven't been happy with McDermott, but I don't think he is psychotic and emotionally incapable of bonding with fellow human beings. The timing of this article is curious. Anyway, if the intent was to exacerbate the feelings of those inclined to have a negative appraisal of his coaching tenure, it has had the opposite effect on me. I'm still wary of his coaching ceiling. If the season continues to go sideways, I'll still be wanting to give Ben Johnson a call. But all this makes me want to dig my heels in, and hope McD rights the ship.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

which says 'Multiple sources indicate that McDermott was especially harsh toward Hall and paid him a salary so low it was insulting.'

So since we're making up stories, maybe the wideouts all hated McDermott so much they decided to stick it to him for mistreating and underpaying their position coach and buy him a gift that was sure to drive McDermott crazy. 

What does that even mean? He got promoted in 2019 Covid happened in 2020 did he get a pay cut? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

What does that even mean? He got promoted in 2019 Covid happened in 2020 did he get a pay cut? 

Did you miss the whole players loving Hall to the point of wanting to buy him a truck and McDermott's reaction and after?

"Chad Hall played wide receiver, was much closer in age and — clearly — has a gift for managing egos in his room. The Bills receivers loved Hall so much that they bought him a truck for Christmas in 2020. An objectively touching moment that Isaiah McKenzie shared via Instagram. In the dark, in the rain, you see Stefon Diggs and Andre Roberts lead Hall out to the driveway with a beanie over the coach’s eyes. On the audio, Cole Beasley says that this was originally Gabe Davis’ idea and that they all chipped in.

It’s impossible for any sane person to watch this heartwarming video and not feel happy for Hall.

Obviously, this coach had made a profound impact on those receivers’ lives — why anyone gets into coaching in the first place.

But Sean McDermott? Oh boy. Sean McDermott was not pleased. One source described this as “a dark day at One Bills Drive.” Not only was the head coach pissed that players were gathering as a group during Covid, McDermott told his staff he pays them to be a coach. Not a friend. Other coaches could not believe his cold response. They had never seen anything like this in their careers."

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He was so poor, his truck got repo'd by the company McDermott's cousins' run; but the WR room made it right.

• Haha (+1) 1

So much of where we are right now as a team and with McD was said before training camp.   Some really good flame throwing posts about firing McD and his questionable ability to coach and be a DC at the same time.  Giving him more responsibility has proven to be a really bad idea & has definitely not worked out in this teams favor.   There was a long post I added saying he was not even in the top ten HC's list in the NFL this year.  I wish we could pull some of that discussion back up as a reference but I was blown away when I said this guy was a liability back in July of this year, and how many people torched me for saying this and preached this guy up as the savior of this team.  These people are no where to be found now.....where are you.......Lol

Oh how the tides have changed..  I saw it two years ago that McD was not the answer as HC for this team and now we are dealing with this fool's flawed coaching philosophy - and the resultant purgatory that has enveloped this team, its players, and assistant coaches.  The only plus side of this idiots actions,  is that now he is digging his own grave and his exit from WNY is definitely within sight on the horizon.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Absolutely plausible and a good point and kind of implied in the article. I had read the part on the low salary and basically the whole section on the Hall truck story...McD also came up from the bottom and I'm sure worked with many coaches who made it and even more who didn't and he was trying to make sure Hall was in the make it batch and he was so hard on him because he felt it was the best way to push him to make it. Not that paying him a low amount is right, but it might have been part of a larger vision to get him to be a head coach some day.

My point isn't that I know what happened at all, it's that only one point of view was offered when there could be a lot of other viable explanations for his behavior...McD being a jealous attention seeker...I dunno, I could absolutely him being way too high strung at times and freezing as a result and I think he should have coffee with Tom Caughlin asap probably, but to explain his behavior as being jealous, when at the same time him saying things like it's not your job to be friends with them.

That's not someone who is jealous of someone's closeness with players, that's someone who is saying that as a coach on his team his expectation is people have a boundary between player and coach...like if that's his perspective on player coach relationship, it literally means he would not be jealous of the relationships he isn't planning on having with people.

Ugh, the more I think about this the less and less sense the article is making from a logic perspective...how is he jealous of something he doesn't want to have?

On 12/7/2023 at 12:38 PM, wettlaufer said:

Reporter interviews 25 people. That's a lot. But yeah, he's biased because of something you believe happened but can't support in any way. That sounds like an awfully substantial analysis next to the guy who chased down 25 interview subjects and who were not homogenously anti-McDermott.

It’s hard to believe that he interviewed 25 people and no one would go on the record. In today’s world a lot of people are happy to put their name behind critical comments.   Dunne clearly went into this project biased against McDermott.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

He sure sounds like a GM that supports his coach.  The brain trust here tells me that Beane will recommend firing him 

I believe so yes, but also this is to the media and the people watching it.  It's not like he is gonna come out and say yeah... McD bad we fire him soon.  Of course he is going to support him currently.  Its "coach speak."  It may not be coach speak but we would get nothing else at this point.

On 12/7/2023 at 10:24 AM, Roundybout said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermott-problem-part-i-blame?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

A very long read, and the other parts are only for paid subscribers, but his sources paint a picture of McD as a narcissistic control freak who won’t take accountability for anything. 

Do with this what you will. 

It seems about right that you would use this to crap on McD. Tyler stated that 13 seconds broke the team that went 13-3 last year despite all the injuries and a player almost dying on the field. You believe anything that is garbage, so I am even more confident it is trash. 

24 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

That's not someone who is jealous of someone's closeness with players, that's someone who is saying that as a coach on his team his expectation is people have a boundary between player and coach...like if that's his perspective on player coach relationship, it literally means he would not be jealous of the relationships he isn't planning on having with people.

An aspect of this that's not explored at all is that Hall was promoted in 2019 to the WR Coach before that he was the assistant WR coach, so this was his second year in 2020. He seemed/seems like a good young coach with potential at the time when we were thinking Daboll was going to be gone soon it we thought maybe Dorsey or Hall could fill the role of OC that's how high we were on him from the support he had from the WRs. But a big part of these young coaches coming up here is that there is a mentor role between McDermott the HC and Daboll OC over them. So beyond the fact that they did something that McDermott wouldn't have wanted repeated with the state of the NFL with Covid, it's also not that crazy that McDermott would try and teach a young position coach that there needs to be a degree of separation between him and his players.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

"Tearing a person down". 

Use whatever means possible to get him fired...Tyler Dunne, is that you?!

Of all the sports, fan support matters by far the least in the nfl... very few home games and the vast majority of the money comes from the TV deals and league wide revenue sharing.

I could see ticket sales being important for cash flow stuff, but the Pegulas seem to have plenty of liquid money that they can fund the cash flow until the league wide dispersments are paid, and for all we know they might not mind operating at a loss because it helps offset gains elsewhere.

Now other sports with regional TV deals and 41 or 81 home games and much more limited league wide revenue sharing, sure, but not the NFL.

Also, how do you know that Pegula isn't fully supportive of and wants coaches that have boundaries between player and coach? 

12 minutes ago, JTown said:

Uhmmm..... if you haven't noticed.   They aren't winning.  That is the problem.  Likely out of the playoffs if they fall below their abysmal .500 record. 

You mean, we aren’t undefeated and cruising to a #1 seed superbowl????

Man. I’m crushed at this news. 

Thanks for helping me notice I guess. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.