Per Benjamin Allbright, McDermott's "seat is warm"

HappyDays

Warm?  I think he's been fired since the Cincy game.   The losses to the Broncos and Eagles have just provided the decision to part ways more cover.  

If the Bills are going to make "the" change, the window is the conclusion of the 2023 season, and you give the new coach a 2024 "build" year and a peaking 2025-2027 to coincide with the new stadium.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I mean the tweet says he’d be reviewed, not fired. I suspect that’s just about 100% certain at this point. Will he be fired after said review is unsure but I think this is perhaps the first solid report of the door being open 

It sounds to me more like lightly tossing stuff at the wall in case something sticks.

Pretty certain all teams (especially the ones who miss the playoffs) do a review of the seasons and why it played out the way it did. Common sense would be start at the top level (GM/HC) and review them, onto the rest of the coaching staff, then to players, training staff, ect ect.

Seems like he's throwing standard operating procedure out there as speculation.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It sounds to me more like lightly tossing stuff at the wall in case something sticks.

Pretty certain all teams (especially the ones who miss the playoffs) do a review of the seasons and why it played out the way it did. Common sense would be start at the top level (GM/HC) and review them, onto the rest of the coaching staff, then to players, training staff, ect ect.

Seems like he's throwing standard operating procedure out there as speculation.

I think there is a difference between a standard check the box review and set priorities vs what is being implied here 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think there is a difference between a standard check the box review and set priorities vs what is being implied here 

Possibly. But I don't really think anything was that strongly implied at all. Of course by keeping things past the statement "I know for a fact nothing will happen in season" vague it's certainly up to individual interpretation to determine the statement. Time will tell, for sure.

4 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Yeah if mcvay were available he would have to be the #1 choice or close to it. But let’s be honest, that guy is not coaching in Buffalo ny after leaving Los Angeles whether josh Allen is here or not

If McVay already wanted to potentially retire and go into broadcasting, I wouldn't want him. The way our team's history has been, some completely unbelievable outcome that hasn't happened in 50 years after his first season with us will push him over the edge into retirement. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay-les-snead-retire-offseason-rumors-tv-broadcast-free-agency

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Bill Belichick has 8 Super Bowl rings (6 as HC, 2 as DC with the Giants) and he is about to get fired. 

McDermott has won a couple of playoff games and this team is a mess. 

How do you know that Belichick is getting fired ?

25 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I mean the tweet says he’d be reviewed, not fired. I suspect that’s just about 100% certain at this point. Will he be fired after said review is unsure but I think this is perhaps the first solid report of the door being open 

Unless they won the Superbowl, I think the performance of every coach gets reviewed after every season.

Alert The Media.

7 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

How do you know that Belichick is getting fired ?

He saw it on Twitter, It must be true

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Unless they won the Superbowl, I think the performance of every coach gets reviewed after every season.

Alert The Media.

He saw it on Twitter, It must be true

I think that even the Super Bowl winner gets his performance reviewed. I think the implication here is his employment status will be reviewed and I don’t think 32 (or 31) coaches will get that this year 

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think that even the Super Bowl winner gets his performance reviewed. I think the implication here is his employment status will be reviewed and I don’t think 32 (or 31) coaches will get that this year 

I mean, football is performance based.  Kubiak won the Superbowl with the Ghost of Peyton Manning, Rico Dennison as OC, and "Son of Bum" as DC.  The review was probably a rubber stamp "pass, and all's well".

Next season, 9-7, miss the playoffs with the Broncos 7th round draft pick Trevor Siemian at QB, and all of them got sent to the Unemployment Line.  The Lesson/Watch Out there is that the Broncos are on their 5th different coach in 7 years since then, and only just now starting to sniff at the possibility of a winning season and playoffs again.

My point isn't that McDermott shouldn't face scrutiny or even be fired, my point is that changing coaches is not the panacea some here apparently believe it to be.

Edited by Beck Water

42 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Yeah if mcvay were available he would have to be the #1 choice or close to it. But let’s be honest, that guy is not coaching in Buffalo ny after leaving Los Angeles whether josh Allen is here or not

I brought up McVay before and other had similar sentiments, but at the end of the day these dudes have massive egos and if it was a truly viable scenario there's no way he's passing up the opportunity to coach a team with the best QB he's ever had in Josh Allen.

This is has also been my argument that if/when Terry Pegula does dump McDummy...you'll see every big name out there lining up and begging for an interview in Buffalo because of Josh Allen.

Ben Johnson is another name tossed around and remember he said no to the Carolina Panthers last year. If Buffalo comes calling not only is he saying yes but probably not bothering to interview with any other team.

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, football is performance based.  Kubiak won the Superbowl with the Ghost of Peyton Manning, Rico Dennison as OC, and "Son of Bum" as DC.  The review was probably a rubber stamp "pass, and all's well".

Next season, 9-7, miss the playoffs with the Broncos 7th round draft pick Trevor Siemian at QB, and all of them got sent to the Unemployment Line.  The Lesson/Watch Out there is that the Broncos are on their 5th different coach in 7 years since then, and only just now starting to sniff at the possibility of a winning season and playoffs again.

My point isn't that McDermott shouldn't face scrutiny or even be fired, my point is that changing coaches is not the panacea some here apparently believe it to be.

No one is saying that changing coaches is a panacea or that it's without risk; we are saying that it is now all but certain that the McDermott era is not going to produce a championship, so it's time to try something else.  Four years of Josh Allen's prime is enough to waste on the McDermott experiment.   It has nothing to do with the Denver Broncos and their inability to find a QB after Peyton Manning's retirement.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

No one is saying that changing coaches is a panacea or that it's without risk; we are saying that it is now all but certain that the McDermott era is not going to produce a championship, so it's time to try something else.  Four years of Josh Allen's prime is enough to waste on the McDermott experiment.   It has nothing to do with the Denver Broncos and their inability to find a QB after Peyton Manning's retirement.  

Tell me more about this.  Why is it "all but certain"?

Edited by Beck Water

17 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

McDermott just signed an extension. He will get another shot next year guaranteed. Too much $ owed to him. Terry is cheap

Yep - this right here. McD ain't going anywhere.

That and his D was decimated by injuries this season: D. Jones, Von, Milano, tre, Jackson etc etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

Tell me more about this.  Why is it "all but certain"?

Because it would have happened by now if it was going to happen; we've never come particularly close; things are now getting worse, not better; and this team under McDermott is losing the same way, over and over and over.  That's enough for any rational person.  Time to try something else.     

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

He's going to get fired if the Bills miss the playoffs.

Sal has turned, which means the organization has turned. 

Maybe this is the reason he fired Dorsey.  The organization put McDermott on notice and he is fighting for his job...

Go Bills!!

40 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I brought up McVay before and other had similar sentiments, but at the end of the day these dudes have massive egos and if it was a truly viable scenario there's no way he's passing up the opportunity to coach a team with the best QB he's ever had in Josh Allen.

This is has also been my argument that if/when Terry Pegula does dump McDummy...you'll see every big name out there lining up and begging for an interview in Buffalo because of Josh Allen.

Ben Johnson is another name tossed around and remember he said no to the Carolina Panthers last year. If Buffalo comes calling not only is he saying yes but probably not bothering to interview with any other team.

I just don’t see him and his supermodel wife moving to Buffalo, at all. If it were even a possibility obviously I hope it would happen. We have an owner with deep pockets so you can never say never. A josh Allen and mcvay led offense would be unbelievable. Ben Johnson is much more realistic and would probably jump at the chance I agree there

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.