Has Shakir overtaken Davis

Whkfc

Gabe has played more so as a boundary receiver and Shakir more so in the slot. 

I like Shakir a lot, the Bills don't need to look to upgrade at the Slot any longer, Shakir is the guy and is great after the catch.   Gabe is now the weak link, is having troubles separating and truthfully I think Josh is losing confidence in him and isn't looking his way on many matchups pre snap.

Next year the Bills should draft a WR with their #1 pick.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

That's is a pretty sad way to characterize a supposed #2 receiver: "a competent run blocker."

Chris Simms said on his podcast multiple times that Gabe is not a legit #2. Said Shakir is a stronger option on the boundary and Davis should be in the slot.  If all Gabe brings to the table is run blocking it's time to move on from him. 

Did Simms provide any information to back up his statment that "Shakir is a stronger option on the boundary"?

People say a lot of stuff - for example, that Shakir isn't fast enough for a boundary receiver; he ran a 4.43 40 vs. Davis 4.56 and Diggs 4.46.  My perception about Shakir on the boundary is that he doesn't have the release to gain separation, especially against press man - he's better this year than last but still - and that he doesn't have the arm length to win against hand fighting (29" arms which is 2-3" shorter than Diggs or Davis.)

I think Simms knows something, but I'm not exactly sure what Simms is seeing when he says that.

6 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Are we sure? Chris Simms said on his podcast that they should try Davis in the slot and put Shakir on the boundary. Why can't Shakir play on the outside? I'm honestly asking. 

You could it's just not his natural position. He's not the take the top off type of wr. He excelled in college over the middle as well. He is just a better fit in the slot.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I sure hope so.  

Offseason needs to be a WR with #1 potential.  He can be our number #2 and learn from Diggs for the first 2 years and then transition to our #1.  Diggs, Rookie, Shakir, Kincaid would be a perfectly fine offense

Agree.

One of the deeper drafts for WR so it would make very little sense to pay any kind of a premium to retain Davis, when we could land a WR with a good shot of having more upside that we would have on an affordable rookie deal.

I think that WR2 position he occupies is upgradeable and they need to be willing to let Gabe walk.

I like our drafted players to go on and have decent NFL careers, but much like Edmunds, you can't sign everybody, nor should you.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We may need to draft wrs in back to back years... early picks.  Gabe's gone for sure and Stef's clock is ticking.  Love to get Odunze but if we win 10, we're probably too far away.

Trade up! We'll have 10 picks and like last year not many day 3 guys will likely be making the roster and they'll just get picked off onto other active rosters so what's the point. You know Brandon loves using his 4th rounders to trade up... if a guy that can be elite on a controlled contract for 5 years is sitting there, I would think Beane pulls the trigger. Doesn't have to be Odunze necessarily, there are a bunch of high quality boundary options this year. But agreed he'd be a great fit

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Look at the all 22.  He threw a great block on a TD play, he also rubbed out a defender on another touchdown.  

He does block well. It’s part of the game.  

That's fine I'd rather have a wide receiver that can catch and move the ball down the field. Trent Sherfield blocks too how much did he command in the open market this offseason?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.