McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

Josh Allens mental game hasn't been there all year. Its blatantly evident in interviews, off season workouts, and on the field. He is shown sitting alone on the bench all year looking absolutely defeated. That's not the Josh Allen we've come to know and love. Mcdermott knows this and hasn't figured out a way to help him get through this yet.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I remember it differently. They had a Super Bowl-winning offense in the playoffs (and even so, against the Chiefs, had a signature 3rd quarter stagnation when they suddenly started running the ball unimaginatively, and ineffectively, for two straight drives -- who does that sound like?). Those two games , however, really effed with offensive expectations moving forward, and seemingly revised the real history of that 2021 regular season offense. The Bills offense was NOT "absolutely unbelievable for most of that year."

Excellent memory sir! I remember watching the offensive lull in the 13 sec game saying wtf. Then, of course, the fireworks in the last 5min and OT made everyone forget about all that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Estro said:

I'm still trying to figure out what "subculture" is. Anyone care to expand.....

It seems to imply that the teams overall culture is fine, but that the offense specifically has a culture problem. 

McD's comments here just scream CYA to me. He's trying to setup the next scapegoat now that there isn't a coordinator to blame. 

7 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

It’s going to be Allen. You can see the groundwork being laid. 

Yep McD is down to only 2 options. Blame the GM for not assembling a strong enough roster (I don't see that working at all, Beane is widely viewed as one of the best GM's in the business). Or blame the franchise QB for turning it over too much / losing his mojo. 

I don't think either option will work, but he has a better chance of pinning blame on Josh. 

1 hour ago, AlfaBill said:

Josh put in the work to improve during the off season his 1st few seasons. He played well and significantly improved every year

the last 2 seasons he hasn’t , instead focusing on enjoying life, playing golf, whiskey, etc. And guess what? He’s regressed. 
To be a true great, he needs to want it even at the expense of enjoying life. If not, expect more of the same. 

Just to make sure I understand your reasoning.

If, in your view, Allen deserves some blame for his real or perceived lack of commitment (in spite of perhaps needing some summer rest after playing somewhat injured most of last season), I guess you would have cut a guy like Dawkins a few years ago then. I mean, as a veteran player at a premium position, he has made a habit of putting in even less off-season work.

55 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Great point!  But if McD is in trouble, you go there and make the offense hum, and they win a Super Bowl, McD gets extended.  You still get a HC job, but not with Allen.

Well, I agree with that statement, but if you're going to have a winning football team, you're going to have dogs on the team, and the dogs want a dog to lead them.  

And, in fact, until this season, Allen's teammates said he was a dog. 

If 'dogs' are what we are lacking, how about sending McBeane a memo. Less choir boys and more dogs when it comes to the draft and free agency. Or does this dog thing apply to Josh only?

22 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Yep McD is down to only 2 options. Blame the GM for not assembling a strong enough roster (I don't see that working at all, Beane is widely viewed as one of the best GM's in the business). Or blame the franchise QB for turning it over too much / losing his mojo. 

I don't think either option will work, but he has a better chance of pinning blame on Josh. 

Not with Bills Mafia he doesn’t. We’ve seen what Josh can do.

Even in a rough patch, he made the plays at the end to win both NE and DEN games. McD’s boneheaded coaching caused them to lose both. In his good patches, he’s the league MVP QB. 

• Agree 3

32 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Absolutely won’t work. His self preservation kicked in so he has to try. lol 

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's already working 😂😂have you been reading the stuff on here lately

Good thing we don’t have any sway on Bills decisions. Haha

14 hours ago, Johnnyp566 said:

27 year old making a quarter of a billion dollars and he needs to be coddled. They’ve paid him, signed his friends to ridiculous contracts (see Dawson Knox), brought in his golf buddy to back him up (Kyle Allen), and have defended him at every turn. It’s time for the star quarterback to grow up. Stop sulking and be a leader and a motivator. 

Dawson Knox was coming off a breakout season with 49 receptions, 587 yards, and 9 touchdowns.  At the time we presumed he still had a lot of upside considering how raw he was coming out of college.  The contract wasn't ridiculous although TE is a non premium position  They just would've made Matt Barkley the backup if it was all about appeasing Josh.  Kyle Allen has started a lot of games in this league and it was a decent signing for the price tag considering how much against the cap we were.  These takes are just comical at this point.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

A new OC every 2 years (on average) doesn't seem high to you? It does to me.

The problem is that most of his peers (high-end coaches), ARE the offensive mind of the team.

Reid - Offensive guru

McVay - Offensive guru

Shanahan - Offensive guru

Payton - Offensive guru

Pederson - Offensive guru

LaFleur - Offensive guy
Sirianni - Offense guy

McDaniel - Offensive guru

Taylor - Offensive guy

Caroll is a defensive guy. He has had 3 offensive coordinators in 14 years.
Tomlin is a defensive guy. He has had 4 offensive coordinators in 16 years.

Belichick is a defensive guy.  He has had 4 offensive coordinators in 22 years.

Only successful guy I can think of with a lot of changes are Vrabel and Harbaugh.

Thanks for your response! I appreciate the legwork you did here. I notice that everyone you listed as a peer has won a Super Bowl - not sure if that was intentional or not. And yeah, he doesn’t stack up to those guys at this point. Fully agree with that. 

The bad news: Out of 3 OC hires, McDermott has made a bad hire twice.

The good news for us fans: In both cases, McD recognized his mistake relatively early. 
The good news for potential OC candidates: This will be the first time the job is open to external candidates AND there’s a franchise QB in place. It’s a much more appealing job than it was in 2017 or 2018. Plus, any serious candidate would likely be an option for interim HC if McDermott was ultimately fired. 

(Side note: I think the # for Belichick looks off. I’m guessing because they like to not officially name an OC some years? I can think of Weis, McDaniels (who should count as 2, a la Grover Cleveland), BOB, and Patricia off the top of my head, and I feel like I must be missing at least 1-2 more?)

8 minutes ago, Cash said:

Thanks for your response! I appreciate the legwork you did here. I notice that everyone you listed as a peer has won a Super Bowl - not sure if that was intentional or not. And yeah, he doesn’t stack up to those guys at this point. Fully agree with that. 

The bad news: Out of 3 OC hires, McDermott has made a bad hire twice.

The good news for us fans: In both cases, McD recognized his mistake relatively early. 
The good news for potential OC candidates: This will be the first time the job is open to external candidates AND there’s a franchise QB in place. It’s a much more appealing job than it was in 2017 or 2018. Plus, any serious candidate would likely be an option for interim HC if McDermott was ultimately fired. 

(Side note: I think the # for Belichick looks off. I’m guessing because they like to not officially name an OC some years? I can think of Weis, McDaniels (who should count as 2, a la Grover Cleveland), BOB, and Patricia off the top of my head, and I feel like I must be missing at least 1-2 more?)

There is a lurking downside to the Bills OC job that counters your bolded claim (that this OC job is as appealing as it's ever been): the Head Coach. 

• Agree 1

On 11/17/2023 at 12:48 PM, mannc said:

McDermott is acting like a guy who is under a lot of pressure and is not handling it very well.  Not a good look for the franchise.

Agreed but Sean McDermott next year is the real pressure because if the Buffalo Bills potentially miss the playoffs this season and potentially miss the playoffs next season he is 99.9% percent chance he will be fired. After tomorrow if the Buffalo Bills don’t beat the New York Jets the Bills can say goodbye for the playoffs until next season. Once the Bills are totally eliminated from playoffs they need to shut down Josh Allen until next season. Have Josh Allen get fixed whatever he needs to be fixed health wise so he is healthy and ready for training camp in 2024. Because there is no point playing Josh Allen in meaning less football games in 2023 putting more wear on Josh Allen body exposing him to potential injury in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

2 hours ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

Just to make sure I understand your reasoning.

If, in your view, Allen deserves some blame for his real or perceived lack of commitment (in spite of perhaps needing some summer rest after playing somewhat injured most of last season), I guess you would have cut a guy like Dawkins a few years ago then. I mean, as a veteran player at a premium position, he has made a habit of putting in even less off-season work.

Yes. Let’s compare a lineman to the most difficult and important position in sports. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Yes. Let’s compare a lineman to the most difficult and important position in sports. 

That's not just a lineman. It's a LT, arguably one of the top 3 most important positions in a football team. The guy in charge of protecting the fella playing the "most difficult and important position in sports".

The latest locked on bills resonates with me

1.  McDermotts future is questionable

2. Josh is not himself and he lists some possible reasons why.  It all lines up with where I am. Josh’s body language is off.   And some of his comments on podcasts about his off-season work is at least eyebrow raising.  Marinos words were something like he is being out worked by his competition.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.