The elephant in the room that there is no thread about - Josh Allen has a severe turnover problem

BuffaloBill

11 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Threads like this one make me consider going cold turkey on the message boards.

Yep its an odd addiction that we have.

Here's an elephant to add to the room... During that same span of time, doesn't Josh have more games played than almost every other QB?

Oooh another elephant (hope the room is big enough)... During that same span of time doesn't Josh have the most total Touchdowns?

Edited by 34-78-83

I think the turnover narrative is way over-blown. Josh has about 6 BAD turnovers this year (fumbles vs Jets and Denver, INT vs Pats, Jets, Broncos, Bengals). 

The rest are a combination of game scenario and bad luck.

"Arm punts" on 3rd and long from our side of the field and taking a deep shot. Losing a fumble on a hook and ladder vs Patriots on a last second desperation play. Davis letting a perfect throw go right through his hands. Tipped throws at the LOS. DB's making great catches and our WR's not breaking up 50/50 throws (some overlap here with arm punts). 

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Maybe more WCO principles might be the best scheme for Josh. Have him focus more on timing and throwing to a spot rather than trying to diagnose and dissect post snap. Of course that would depend on an OC who is good at scheming and designing plays.

Funnily enough, I was thinking the opposite. I've been thinking that more of an Air Coryell style, with deep and intermediate play-action built off of a potent running game, is the best way to harness Josh's powers.

It's weird that the worst year to date for Josh throwing interceptions also happens to be his BEST year to date for completion percentage. Obviously, some of the "dink and dunk" and "playing it safe" has been due to opposing defenses playing lots of two-high coverage, but...I'd like to see the return of "bombs away" Josh. Not that west coast offense CAN'T be an aggressive downfield passing offense -- Andy Reid's offense is based in west coast principles and clearly the Chiefs don't usually have issues with passing production -- but it's not normally the first thing I think of what that system.

Josh is great off of playaction, he's great intermediate and deep, and he has maybe the strongest arm in NFL history. I'd like to see whatever system he's in next feature lots of pocket movement, designed rollouts, and aggressive downfield passing. I'd like it to be a system that de-emphasizes rocket science level thinking and coordination between the QB and receivers, as Dorsey's offense seemed to, and emphasizes letting the players play fast and attack and not think quite so damn much.

• Like (+1) 4

I’m still questioning if he has a turnover issue or not.

turnovers and Josh Allen are absolutely not a new thing. He doesn’t suddenly lead the league in turnovers since 2018 because he has 50 turnovers in the first eight games this year. He’s accumulated a high number of turnovers every single year yet he’s been an elite quarterback each of the last four seasons dating back to  2020.

so it begs the question, is it turnovers that are really the issue right now? He’s shown a remarkable consistency of being able to maintain an elite level of play even while turning the ball over far more than league average.

I believe it was just a short two weeks ago, that Allen fell into the following categories:

1st in TD’s

1st in completion %
1st in QBR

#1 rated PFF QB

Tied for 1st in Interceptions (tied with Mahomes, Hurts and like 5 other QB’s)

Rather than look at the turnovers, I might actually consider the issue being Josh Allen is not leading enough scoring drives.

Yes, he has the most total touchdowns of all quarterbacks but through just 10 games he has, even for him, an unusually high number of rushing touchdowns on the year so far. In a normal year, two or three of those rushing touchdowns could’ve gone to the running backs, and Allen should have two or three more passing touchdowns on the year if he were to maintain the same number of total touchdowns on the year.

What you would end up with is as a Bills team that would have two or three more touchdowns on the year. Even just two or three more touchdowns in a few of our one score loss games, would mean the difference of two more W’s in the win column.

9 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

But he threw it too fast :(((

Remember the 2020 Denver game where he threw a ball to Jake Kumerow that broke the sound barrier and Kumerow still caught it?

🤣 In a year in which I have heard a lot of dumb football punditry, the idea that Allen threw too hard to Gabe Davis on that play might be the single dumbest. There were 20 freakin' yards between Allen and Davis on that play. That play to Kumerow is one of my favorites of all time.

Edited by Wraith
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Steve Young

Joe Montana

Patrick Mahomes

Donovan McNabb

All reduced their INTs as the years went on. Jalen Hurts is not throwing many INTs either and he has a long way to go.

Our Josh Allen better get it together. The Madden Cover Curse is alive and well.

Please never ever ever again compare Donovan Mcnabb in any way shape or form to Josh Allen again...thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

🤣 In a year in which I have heard a lot of dumb football punditry, the idea that Allen threw too hard to Gabe Davis on that play might be the single dumbest. There were 20 freakin' yards between Allen and Davis on that play. That play to Kumerow is one of my favorites of all time.

So I actually went with some friends to see Josh speak at UB a few months back, and he said that was his favorite touchdown of his career that he’s ever thrown 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Great point.

There hasn't been enough discussion about Josh's turnovers in the media and on this message board and by Josh himself and by the coaches who are both here and fired.

I think we're all happy you created this thread.

This is an internet message board so I will quietly golf clap as I consider your valuable input.

It would be extremely helpful if our wide receivers were not slowing down Josh Allen’s rocket passes by dropping them to be intercepted

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is an internet message board so I will quietly golf clap as I consider your valuable input.

Don’t ever quietly golf clap, that needs to be done like James worthy

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Ok, I hear what your saying and that is a good idea. 

But one thing I am so confused about is the turnovers. I get the sense these are bad. And when we have them, we lose more. I wonder if they have tried asking him to stop? 

Has anybody asked somebody on the team if they maybe tried asking him to stop? Who is the asker I need to ask to do the asking of Josh to stop doing the thing? 

Diggs.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chugga said:

That’s not the elephant in the room.  The elephant is definitely the fact that the star WRs brother is openly talking trash on his QB and the WR hasn’t addressed this.  Completely unacceptable that Diggs is letting his bro mouth off like this.  Thats your QB that’s your teammate.  You want to talk about Allen’s numbers before Diggs, well look at Diggs numbers before Allen.  Maybe Allen’s brother or sister need to start posting on twitter about how dangerous the Bills offense would be if they didn’t trade that 1st rounder and drafted Justin Jefferson instead.

Dont get me wrong I love Stefon Diggs he’s my favorite current Bill, but he’s losing me quickly by not sticking up for his QB.

I hadn’t thought about this, but I tend to agree …. All Steph would need do is to message his bro in private and tell him to cease and desist 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.