Houston and Buffalo Offenses Versus Tampa Bay

Dubie54

So C.J. Stroud had a career day against the same team we played last week and I thought I would do a quick check of the offensive stats to see how we compared, particularly given that Stroud is a rookie versus the veteran Allen.

Houston     

Stroud:

30/42  470 yds    15.6 YPC

(top 4 receivers)                                     Longest Catch

Noah Brown:  6  - 153 yds                          75 yds

Dalton Schultz:  10 - 130 yds                     26 yds

Tank Dell: 6  - 114 yds                                29 yds          

Nico Collins:  3 - 54 yds                             23 yds.

Total for top 4:   25 - 451 yds

Buffalo

Allen:

31/40   324 yds     10.4 YPC

(top 4 receivers)                                 Longest Catch

Shakir:   6 - 92yds                                    30 yds

Davis:  9 - 87 yds                                      16 yds

Diggs:  9 -70 yds                                       17 yds

Kincaid:  5 -65 yds                                    22 yds

Total for top 4:  29 - 314 yds

Houston was sure able to move the ball down the field and was much more explosive than we were. Nico Collins is probably their best receiver based on YTD and career stats, and he came in 4th in receiving yds. Their TE Schultz has had some very good years with Dallas, Tank Dell is a rookie, and Noah Brown hasn't really shown much throughout his career. Is their receiving corps really that much more explosive than ours? 

Stroud was sacked 3 times versus Allen's 2 - don't have stats on the number of pressures.

I think this sort of comparison underlines exactly what we see week in and week out - we don't have an explosive offense or an offense that can put up game changing chunk plays and/or move the ball down the field with big pass plays. Here we have a rookie quarterback and a decent but not elite receiving corps light up the same team we played last week and seemed to move the ball at will.

Houston scored 29 points of their 39 in the second half alone, including 17 in the 4th qtr.

We scored 7 points of our 24 in the second half, and 0 points in the 4th qtr. 

Sure, every week is different, I get that, but TB is the same team that we played and we are supposed to be the team that wins our division with a potential MVP candidate quarterback. 

Trust the process? The process is broken.

I think it starts with the entire offensive scheme we are trying to run that is far too predictable and absent creative and big play making capabilities. I might be in the minority but I actually think we have the talent to do what Houston did to TB but I don't see it happening anytime soon unless some significant changes are made to our offensive coaching leadership. We need to whatever we can to bring in the most experienced offensive coordinator we can find/steal - someone who has a track record and most of all "experience". The Dorsey experiment has to go.  

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dubie54 said:

So C.J. Stroud had a career day against the same team we played last week and I thought I would do a quick check of the offensive stats to see how we compared, particularly given that Stroud is a rookie versus the veteran Allen.

Houston     

Stroud:

Buffalo

Allen:

Houston was sure able to move the ball down the field and was much more explosive than we were. Nico Collins is probably their best receiver based on YTD and career stats, and he came in 4th in receiving yds. Their TE Schultz has had some very good years with Dallas, Tank Dell is a rookie, and Noah Brown hasn't really shown much throughout his career. Is their receiving corps really that much more explosive than ours? 

Stroud was sacked 3 times versus Allen's 2 - don't have stats on the number of pressures.

I think this sort of comparison underlines exactly what we see week in and week out - we don't have an explosive offense or an offense that can put up game changing chunk plays and/or move the ball down the field with big pass plays. Here we have a rookie quarterback and a decent but not elite receiving corps light up the same team we played last week and seemed to move the ball at will.

Houston scored 29 points of their 39 in the second half alone, including 17 in the 4th qtr.

Sure, every week is different, I get that, but TB is the same team that we played and we are supposed to be the team that wins our division with a potential MVP candidate quarterback. 

I think it starts with the entire offensive scheme we are trying to run that is far too predictable and absent creative and big play making capabilities. I might be in the minority but I actually think we have the talent to do what Houston did to TB but I don't see it happening anytime soon unless some significant changes are made to our offensive coaching leadership. We need to whatever we can to bring in the most experienced offensive coordinator we can find/steal - someone who has a track record and most of all "experience". The Dorsey experiment has to go.  

Had the same thought.

The reality is that our O is neither explosive or even particularly efficient.  I don't care what some stupid made up this year stat says, the O is a mess, from playcalling to execution.   It's so simple, opposing DCs have figured it out to the point that the Cinci D knew exactly what the safeties were doing on a given play.  Normally I can't stand Chris Collinsworth but it was worse last night because he seemed to actually pity the Bills, like what the hell happened to you guys.  I wish the fact that we suck now would mean they would stop with the primetime games

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Judas Priest, transitive properties do not apply to anything that happens in the NFL. 

Settle down CincyBillsFan. There was no “transitive property” intended. It’s a simple comparison - you draw your own conclusions. 

• Like (+1) 1

Circumstance is everything. Bills TB both teams were 3-4 days rest max and once Buffalo got up by a bunch they basically tried to coast as long as possible (not that I agreed with that) which worked out.

TB - HOU both teams were fully rested and TB was playing with some real urgency as their division is pretty open so once they started trading blows it was on. I was beyond impressed with Stroud though and he did great.

But stat lines are not everything as a quick glance at the Bills Bengals score looks closer then it felt.

2 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

The real question here should be why was Torrence pointing at the time of the snap on every down last night? 

I've never seen a lineman do this, and it was annoying to watch. 

It’s their silent snap count. Every team does it. Might not be exactly what we do but they have their own thing.

2 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

The real question here should be why was Torrence pointing at the time of the snap on every down last night? 

Its a silent count.  Almost every road team does this.  Some teams hit the centers thigh or whatever, but that is the trigger that we're good to snap.  

i used to hear plenty from within the org and rumblings about stuff. i don't anymore. all i generally get is a feeling that there is a lot of meddling that is bogging things up across the board.

the only thing i can think of is the whole complimentary line where we don't want the defense exposed so the offense plays a particular way - which i don't fully believe.

2 hours ago, Dubie54 said:

Houston     

Stroud:

Buffalo

Allen:

Stroud also had 119 net passing yards in a loss to the previously winless carolina panthers.  On the plus side for Houston, they only play outdoors 3 times the rest of the regular season, are in the same 1PM window on sunday for almost every game, and have Arizona, Indianapolis, Denver, and Tennx2 on the schedule.  

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

EVERY TIME

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Judas Priest, transitive properties do not apply to anything that happens in the NFL. 

While I wholeheartedly agree with this, there are fans on this site that use this notion all the time when it favors the Bills. 

2 hours ago, Dubie54 said:

Settle down CincyBillsFan. There was no “transitive property” intended. It’s a simple comparison - you draw your own conclusions. 

Let’s see how Houston does against Cincy this Sunday. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.